MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

084542-shuffle2.jpg

083649-shuffle.jpg

Apple released two new iPod Shuffles with an even smaller design today. The updates were predicted at the very last minute this morning.

The new 4GB devices are priced at $79 and can hold up to 1000 songs. These new iPod Shuffles adopt a more vertical shape than the previous model, but are smaller overall. The previous generation iPod shuffles remain available for purchase.

Apple also added a new "VoiceOver" feature that allows the iPod shuffle to speak your sing titles, arists and playlist names. All of the controls are located on the earphone cord.
"Imagine your music player talking to you, telling you your song titles, artists and playlist names," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod and iPhone(TM) Product Marketing. "The amazingly small new iPod shuffle takes a revolutionary approach to how you listen to your music by talking to you, also making it the first iPod shuffle with playlists."
More details are available on Apple's iPod Shuffle section of their website.

More details are available on Apple's iPod Shuffle section of their website.

Article Link: Apple Releases Smaller 4GB iPod Shuffle in Black and Silver

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I love how you now can't use any other headphones that don't have a controller on them.

Not far off the iPod flee spoof now :p

Comment

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I gotta get me one of these. Like the new design and perfect when cycling/jogging/other physical activity with controls in the headphone, no need to go rummaging in the pocket to change the track.

Comment

indisguise

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Wtf

The controls are on the earbud cord! WTF what if i dont want to use the crappy white earbuds??!!!!!:mad:

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh wow. Well that crept up on us! I kinda like that, though I'll stick with my 2G iPod shuffle for now.

Comment

petz0ldt

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
Soooo.... say i have this really nice pair of ultimate ears headphones. If i buy one of these i have no way to control the volume or what track im listening to? sounds like a great porduct...

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i thought it was large from teh picture until I clicked through....that is tiny.

Comment

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
The controls are on the earbud cord! WTF what if i dont want to use the crappy white earbuds??!!!!!:mad:

I'm assuming someone will be selling an adapter cable shortly that has the controls and allows you to plug in any headphone you want.

Still, makes it more expensive.

Comment

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
My goodness that thing is miniscule. Too bad about the headphones, but for that kind of a reduction in size and a four-fold increase in storage capacity, I'll take it. VoiceOver is a nice idea too (add some details about this to the frontpage post maybe?)

edit: you just did.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
CUPERTINO, California—March 11, 2009—Apple® today introduced the all-new iPod® shuffle, the world’s smallest music player at nearly half of the size of the previous model, and the first music player that talks to you. The revolutionary new VoiceOver feature enables iPod shuffle to speak your song titles, artists and playlist names. The third generation iPod shuffle is significantly smaller than a AA battery, holds up to 1,000 songs and is easier to use with all of the controls conveniently located on the earphone cord. With the press of a button, you can play, pause, adjust volume, switch playlists and hear the name of the song and artist. iPod shuffle features a gorgeous new aluminum design with a built-in stainless steel clip that makes it ultra-wearable.

“Imagine your music player talking to you, telling you your song titles, artists and playlist names,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of iPod and iPhone™ Product Marketing. “The amazingly small new iPod shuffle takes a revolutionary approach to how you listen to your music by talking to you, also making it the first iPod shuffle with playlists.”

Link

Comment

canyonblue737

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
How do I use my running headphones, Apple earbuds are worthless for exercise since they fall out. Shuffles are THE iPod for running so this doesn't make sense.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.