Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whoa Nelly. Voiceover on it sounds very cool indeed.

Introducing VoiceOver.

Musically speaking, the new iPod shuffle is brilliant, thanks to an exciting new feature called VoiceOver. Say you’re listening to a song and want to know the title or the artist. With the press of a button, VoiceOver tells you as the music dips down. It even announces the names of your playlists. And when your battery needs charging, VoiceOver tells you that, too.

tekilla

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
Wasn't the one of the tag lines for MWSF 2009 "Even the Small Talk will be Big" ?
If so, sounds to me like this new Shuffle is late and was meant to be announced in January.

smitharc

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Where did the buttons go? Somehow, I feel like losing the iconic white circle was not a smart move on their part, even though they pulled it off with the touch. Now it really looks like a stick of gum (albeit, an awful flavor of grey or black).

People may not want to be forced to use Apple's headphones just to control the thing; although, at this price, those who buy it may not care about having nicer headphones. In my opinion, you should always have some form of controls on a device, in case you forget your headphones or want to upgrade them later.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
you are probably not in the market for a shuffle in that case.

Way to be dismissive.

What about those of us with young children have been saving their allowance for months to get an iPod but the Apple earbuds are too large and uncomfortable for their 8 year olds? Now they have to get an adapter in order to use earbuds that fit or save for a few more months to get a nano that they do not need the capacity of.

I know it is not an essential purchase, but an 8 year old daughter saving $50 for this purchase was an accomplishment. Now she has to wait even longer, turning this into a possible negative lesson for her.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Wow, that was unexpected. First time Apple has managed to keep a new design a secret for years :)

I prefer the old design and choice of colours, which is still available anyway.

ddTaylor

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
I love how you now can't use any other headphones that don't have a controller on them.

Not far off the iPod flee spoof now :p

I agree. I have a pair of studio ear buds that were twice the price of the shuffle and if I cannot use them I will not buy the shuffle. I want the shuffle for the gym as the 2GB was to small in storage (I work out a couple of hours a day and that is not enough to store my jazz collection for working out). Without the ability to use my own headphones this is a non-starter. What is Apple thinking? How many people do you know that use the stock, uncomfortable Apple ear buds? Not many in my neck of the woods! They sound like garbage (relatively speaking) and do fit in every ear. I guess I am waiting for Apple to release a $20 adapter that allows for use of your own headphones.

I am seriously disappointed in the direction Apple has taken recently. Why give consumers LESS choice when using your product that more? Oh well - I guess I keep using the larger Nano and while it works well enough it does not meet the size requirements.

My son has been saving up his birthday money and allowance for almost 6-months to get an iPod and the Shufle is not large enough in capacity to keep his music files for long trips and the headphones are a NON STARTER for my son OR daughter as they do not fit in their ears properly and my daughter need earphones due to a hearing issue. The Nano is more expensive that he can afford and larger than he would like (not to mention the cost associated with the Nano - as these are children so it is not inconceivable it would be lost or damaged). A real disappointment - I am sure I will be labeled as someone who has no forethought and should live with it and buy something else - that seems to be the MO on these forums lately. If you do not like something Apple releases you are nothing but an ill-informed curmudgeon. Sad, really sad. I have already started to see this attitude during this thread already - and there are only two pages of comments!

D

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Don't really get removing the controls, the last one was tiny it was like a remote anyway. Like the idea of it being able to talk, would be good on other ipods to save getting them out of your pocket.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
What is the target market for this product?

If, like me, you said 'People working out / at the gym' that sort of thing then Im sure you'll agree with my sentiments ...

'Once again Apple give no thought to the people who will use this product' WTF am I supposed to do now if I want to use my own headphones - as I and all the people at my gym do to stop the buds falling out and so they can swap between the iPod and the gyms own TV channel.

Well done again Apple - form over functionality! Its a good job they dont build houses or cars or .... !!!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I know it is not an essential purchase, but an 8 year old daughter saving $50 for this purchase was an accomplishment. Now she has to wait even longer, turning this into a possible negative lesson for her.

You can still buy the 2G iPod Shuffles.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple's so cute with their proprietary accessories. Just when you think they can't make any other part proprietary they go and squeeze out the 3rd party headphone market.

My guess is that Apple or an official accessory maker will start selling a controller dongle momentarily. I bet it'll cost $29. Lovely.

Of course the truth is most iPod users use the Apple headphones, so it's only an issue for a tiny minority.

Rintel

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah

Losing the ability to control it when plugging it into some speakers or a hi-fi sort of deters me. I guess they had to try something new.

Hot Snowboarder

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
Behind you...!
I love the design. Plain anodized front, with stainless steal clip on back.
Putting USB through audio jack is a brilliant idea as well - as long as it doesn't affect transfer speeds.

30 minutes ago I wouldn't of said this, but i think i might buy one.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I love the design. Plain anodized front, with stainless steal clip on back.
Putting USB through audio jack is a brilliant idea as well - as long as it doesn't affect transfer speeds.

30 minutes ago I wouldn't of said this, but i think i might buy one.

They've been doing the USB connection through the audio jack since the last revision of the shuffle.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
I'm assuming someone will be selling an adapter cable shortly that has the controls and allows you to plug in any headphone you want.

Still, makes it more expensive.

Seriously - what if we want to play it through a stereo? They're going to have to release an external remote the way they did with some of the first few generations of iPods. Although as said earlier, most people with more expensive headphones/equipment probably aren't in the market for the smaller/cheaper shuffle, some of us like having them for fun, ease of use running/lifting (iPhones are big), or as a device designated to one band. In our apartment we have an iPhone, two iPod Touches, two older iPods (classic, mini) and then an iPod shuffle with only 311 on it to carry around with us and to bring on road trips or to parties - both of which can't occur without buttons independent of headphones for plugging into car/house sound systems.

petz0ldt

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
1) taking the buttons off of it was just dumb on apples part. 2) its not really that small... about the same size as a flashdrive. 3) you can buy a 8gb flash drive for $20 so why is something with half the memory $80?

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
How much longer until we get the iPod Nanite? These things are just way too small now. Too prone to being lost, left in pockets when washing or be eaten by your dog.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
It has a difference voice depending on whether you sync with a Mac or PC. I wonder why not the same?

Because its not generating the voice in the iPod. Rather its just generating all names/artists in iTunes and then copying them over as separate files. And since they can't be bothered porting the VoiceOver tech to Windows, they just use the built in one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.