Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Tenth Beta of macOS Big Sur to Developers

BlueVaraMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
Music App: ripped a new (old) cd, inserted a cover but Music don't sync it on our iPhones. This cd is not available in the Music Store. Many tagging Apps tried, songs deleted on both iPhones and my Mac.
I hope, this beta will fix this problem now ...

Update:
Newest beta installed - Album deleted on both iPhones - new synched - BOOM - covers here again - HAPPY!
😊

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon
Comment

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
Code highlight in quick look and finder preview may not be new but did see until today, I'm on still beta 9

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 3.54.11 PM.png

Reactions: RandomDSdevel
Comment

MILE089

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
Munich, Germany
I know this thread started about the Dev Beta and I am using the Public Beta but maybe someone can help me out anyway. At least I hope so.

I Installed the latest Public Beta (20A5395g) last night and it messed up a whole damn lot. Basically none of Apple's own apps (and possibly some 3rd party apps using Apple's network features) can't access the internet anymore! :oops:

Whatever URL I enter in Safari the blue progress bar jumps to about 10% (which it basically always does in the beginning) and that is it. No activity, nothing is being loaded or displayed, nothing is happening. But it's not just Safari...

Trying to check my iCloud settings in the System Preferences it spins for a while and then tells me there is no information available. Mail does fetch emails but none of them contain the inline graphics they should. Just a few examples. Oh yeah, and some apps are unable to check for updates or license data and come back with an error message. Seems like they can't get out either.

The worst thing is that Safari has become completely unusable. Even the latest Technology Preview behaves the same. Other browsers like Firefox or Chrome work just fine. And of course other devices like iPads and iPhones cann access everything just fine.

I have looked in the network settings and all kinds of other places and just cannot understand what is going on here. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure this out, what am I missing here? Does anyone have any kind of suggestion that might help?!? Anything?!? Thanks in advance!

-M-

(iMac 5K 2015 /32 GB RAM / 1 TB Fusion Drive)

Comment

Gautam.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
I know this thread started about the Dev Beta and I am using the Public Beta but maybe someone can help me out anyway. At least I hope so.

I Installed the latest Public Beta (20A5395g) last night and it messed up a whole damn lot. Basically none of Apple's own apps (and possibly some 3rd party apps using Apple's network features) can't access the internet anymore! :oops:

Whatever URL I enter in Safari the blue progress bar jumps to about 10% (which it basically always does in the beginning) and that is it. No activity, nothing is being loaded or displayed, nothing is happening. But it's not just Safari...

Trying to check my iCloud settings in the System Preferences it spins for a while and then tells me there is no information available. Mail does fetch emails but none of them contain the inline graphics they should. Just a few examples. Oh yeah, and some apps are unable to check for updates or license data and come back with an error message. Seems like they can't get out either.

The worst thing is that Safari has become completely unusable. Even the latest Technology Preview behaves the same. Other browsers like Firefox or Chrome work just fine. And of course other devices like iPads and iPhones cann access everything just fine.

I have looked in the network settings and all kinds of other places and just cannot understand what is going on here. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure this out, what am I missing here? Does anyone have any kind of suggestion that might help?!? Anything?!? Thanks in advance!

-M-

(iMac 5K 2015 /32 GB RAM / 1 TB Fusion Drive)
I had a problem with installation - needed to re-install the update through recovery mode. Internet works fine, though (public beta). To me, it sounds like you've got a VPN or so running, that's blocking your connections. Check for VPNs, internet profiles, internet settings (e.g. DNS servers) that are off.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Comment

MILE089

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
Munich, Germany
I had a problem with installation - needed to re-install the update through recovery mode. Internet works fine, though (public beta). To me, it sounds like you've got a VPN or so running, that's blocking your connections. Check for VPNs, internet profiles, internet settings (e.g. DNS servers) that are off.

Thanks for your reply, I did all that already before I got desperate enough to ask in here. ;)

Like, I checked all the DNS settings, all the Proxy settings, all the VPN settings, cleared out old cache files, rebooted everything several times and what not -- but nothing has shown any effect so far and I have run out of ideas.

I've never had any PB mess up like this before and the fact that nobody else seems to experience anything similar is just even more confusing. Everything ran fine before this last update and once it was done all these probelms started. Not just that but everything feels extremely slow. Booting up takes forevere and from the moment I log into my user account it takes a few minutes before I can actually start using the Mac without seeing beachballs everywhere. Launching an app takes about 15-20 "bounces" in the dock instead of maybe 5 and even then it stills take some time for the app window to actually show up. But yeah, the worst thing are these netwrok problems that I can't seem to get a handle on.

Still searching, still hoping for a helpful clue though.

-M-

Comment

MILE089

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
Munich, Germany
Jeezus f*cking Christ ... I am such a moron!!! Feel free to ridicule me any way you like.

While I did check general VPN settings Gautam's comment reminded me that I might want to check AdGuard as well, which I had not done so far. Deactivated AdGuard and bam! Network connections are back to normal.

Downloaded the latest nighty of AdGuard and reactivated it, everything still running smoothly.

I can't believe how stupid one can be sometimes. Like, I was convinced that it is probably something minor that I am just overlooking but it took me 2 hours to figure it out. Shame on me.

(For a brief moment I considered editing or deleting my previous comments but then again, it is what it is and maybe someone else can benefit from my stupidity.)

-M-

Comment

dumiku

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
View attachment 967126
View attachment 967127

Never had the option on, but it won't go away

I have the same issue, I even tried cmd+ drag away from the menu bar to remove it nothing happens, this also happens in safe mode, the battery icon was not enabled for me too but after installing the update it shows in the menu bar but it is gone now after dragging it off the menu bar.

Did you manage to get rid of it?

Comment

Gautam.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
Jeezus f*cking Christ ... I am such a moron!!! Feel free to ridicule me any way you like.

While I did check general VPN settings Gautam's comment reminded me that I might want to check AdGuard as well, which I had not done so far. Deactivated AdGuard and bam! Network connections are back to normal.

Downloaded the latest nighty of AdGuard and reactivated it, everything still running smoothly.

I can't believe how stupid one can be sometimes. Like, I was convinced that it is probably something minor that I am just overlooking but it took me 2 hours to figure it out. Shame on me.

(For a brief moment I considered editing or deleting my previous comments but then again, it is what it is and maybe someone else can benefit from my stupidity.)

-M-
Haha, happens to the best. Glad you’ve figured it out and your problems are resolved now.

Comment

ivanpasic

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013

Apple today seeded the tenth beta of an upcoming macOS Big Sur update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after releasing the ninth beta and nearly four months after the new update was unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

The macOS Big Sur beta can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center and once the appropriate profile is installed, subsequent betas will be available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences.

macOS Big Sur introduces a refreshed design to the Mac operating system, overhauling the entire look from the curvature of the window corners to the dock icons to the system sounds. Everything features a lighter and more modern appearance. There's a new customizable Control Center that mirrors the Control Center on iOS devices, putting key system controls right at your fingertips.

The Notification Center has been redesigned with iOS-style widgets that are available in multiple sizes, plus there are more interactive notifications that are now grouped by app to make it easier to see what's going on. Safari is faster and more battery efficient, plus there's a new start page that can be customized with wallpapers and sections that include Reading List and iCloud Tabs, which makes Safari more tailored to your individual usage needs.

Tabs now support webpage previews, there's a built-in language translation feature, Chrome and Firefox Extensions can be ported to Safari, and YouTube supports 4K video playback. There's also an option to choose which sites an extension works with for greater privacy. Speaking of privacy, a new Privacy Report feature lets users know the trackers Safari is blocking when you visit websites.

Messages has been brought in line with the Messages app on iOS with support for pinned conversations, mentions, inline replies, and Memoji creation, plus the built-in search feature has been overhauled to make it easier to find links, photos, and conversations in the app.

Apple redesigned the Maps app to add support for Look Around, indoor maps, and Guides, which are lists of notable attractions, restaurants, and more created by trusted sources. Maps can also be used to generate directions for cycling routes and electric vehicle trips that can be sent to iPhone, and shared ETA updates are now viewable on the Mac.

For more on everything that's new in macOS Big Sur, make sure to check out our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases Tenth Beta of macOS Big Sur to Developers
This is the first beta that has practically given me zero issues. Feels like the final product.

Reactions: Big Ron
Comment

strangeengine

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2017
This PB install turned off iCloud Drive for me, which gave me a bit of panic when my Desktop and Documents folders were missing. It took me me a few minutes to figure out what happened and then a couple of reboots before they started repopulating.

Otherwise, it's pretty solid.

Comment

jjpiv

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
This beta left the webcam on my 2017 MBP 15" inoperable until I disconnected my external monitor. Both FaceTime and Zoom were showing an error that no video was being received from the camera. Thankfully, after reconnecting the external monitor, the webcam continues to function.

Otherwise, the betas seem to continue to get better aside from this little chestnut... 🤦‍♂️

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.