Apple Releases Third Beta of macOS Mojave to Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming macOS Mojave update to its public beta testing group, a week and a half after seeding the second macOS Mojave public beta. Today's third public beta is the same as the fourth developer beta released yesterday, and makes macOS Mojave available for 2018 MacBook Pro models.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program can download the macOS Mojave beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store. Subsequent betas are installed in a different way, using the Software Update icon in System Preferences.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas.

Potential beta testers should make a full Time Machine backup before installing macOS Mojave, and it should not be installed on a primary machine because betas are unstable and often have bugs.

macOS Mojave's main new feature is a systemwide Dark Mode, which gives Mac users a new way to view the operating system. A revamped Mac App Store makes it easier than ever to discover great apps, while Dynamic Desktops give you wallpapers that subtly change throughout the day.

An improved Finder window with Gallery View, Sidebar, Quick Look, and Quick Actions makes it easier to manipulate, edit, and organize your files, while Desktop Stacks organizes all of the files on your desktop.

[​IMG]

The Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos apps have made their way to the Mac in Mojave, and for the first time, you can use Siri on Mac to control HomeKit products. Group FaceTime, an iOS 12 feature, is also available in Mojave and lets you chat with up to 32 people at one time.

Apple is keeping your data safer than ever with new security and privacy improvements, and Safari in macOS Mojave makes it much harder to track you through share/like buttons and via your system configuration.

macOS Mojave is compatible with 2015 and newer MacBooks, 2012 and newer MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac models, the 2017 iMac Pro, and Mac Pro models from late 2013 and mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with Metal-capable GPUs.

Mojave will be available in a beta capacity for the next several months so Apple can work out bugs ahead of a fall release.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third Beta of macOS Mojave to Public Beta Testers

2. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

I have to admit, despite being early in the beta cycle I have had smooth sailing with Mojave on multiple machines. It even worked when I upgraded it on a fusion iMac from the old PB High Sierra that had APFS set before they yanked it.

3. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Anyone else getting some Nostalgia from the Software Updates section in System Preferences now?
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 5.16.49 PM.png
    iur.jpeg

4. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

Installing on my 2017 MacBook Pro 15” now. PB2 was reasonably smooth but a few UI bugs here and there. Overall it’s a good leap forward for the OS. Huge fan of Dark Mode. One thing that would absolutely cripple me using Mojave in a work environment is the removal of some legacy plugins from Safari. Microsoft Silverlight can now not be used at all on Firefox, Chrome OR Safari. Lord help all the people working with old school intranets, online databases and the like...

5. Marx55 macrumors 68000

APFS for Time Machine? APFS specifications so that Alsoft can release DiskWarrior 6? Then it is a deal breaker!

6. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Installed fine for me. No issues so far. 2013 MacBook Pro 13".

7. rslee macrumors newbie

rslee

Mojave PB3 installed easily for me. I'm seeing immediate and substantial performance improvements when running Adobe Lightroom Classic on this release.

8. MauiPa macrumors regular

9. j728112 macrumors newbie

The solar gradient background is really nostalgic too.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 5.46.11 PM.png

10. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Apple is going to open-source APFS... soon™

11. Guy Clark macrumors 6502a

Guy Clark

Still prefer the original which was neatly laid out and easy to navigate to.

12. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

13. Guy Clark macrumors 6502a

Guy Clark

It makes a pleasant change for us macOS testers not to have to wait!

14. corbywan macrumors regular

Won't install for me. On first attempt it download then it went to apply the update and before it really even did it anything it said "Installation failed." Reboot doesn't fix anything. Now it doesn't even try to download anything. Maybe there is a cache I can clear?

15. Guy Clark macrumors 6502a

Guy Clark

macOS Mojave is a significant temptation with Dark Mode but it is also a dangerous one as I can see many wanting to install it on their production Macs. It is very tempting but I urge you to be patient. Just a bit of advice.

16. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I installed this morning (must have caught it right as it was put up) but haven't tried dark mode- on Beta 2 it was horrible on my MBP (2012, not retina.) Has it improved?

17. claytonroadie macrumors newbie

Same for me

18. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

???????????????????????????
    I am going to guess that apple mail will not be improved and I will get false notifications every few hours as I do with High Sierra.

19. attackment macrumors member

attackment

I had the same problem, I solved and successfully updated after I booted in safe mode, then rebooted in normal mode.

20. Marvelous Patric macrumors newbie

Marvelous Patric

Anyone know if the Wacom drivers work yet with Mojave? I installed the first beta and had no pressure sensitivity and had to revert.

21. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I like it how you can choose the daylight background now in dark mode. In the earlier beta if you chose dark mode you were locked into only using the night image.

22. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Please tell me those cogs spin around when updating? Seems such a waste if they don’t.

23. VictorTango777 macrumors regular

Is the Console application still crippled?

Can we finally rearrange favorite servers in Finder > Go > Connect To Server by dragging?

Does Mac OS still throw windows from Finder, Safari, iWork and other applications into the bottom left corner of the screen when a large external monitor is connected to a Mac laptop and set as the main display?

24. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

YES! You can now move and rearrange servers on that list.

25. claytonroadie macrumors newbie

Booting into safe mode worked, though the login screen was behaving erratically.