Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyhelppls

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
USA
I'm having a terrible time with Safari now. Websites will load only sometimes, crashing often, and freezing while trying to scroll. On long websites, when scrolling there will be large sections of gray before it continues to load. Just loading a webpage causes my phone to get very hot, lost 10% battery having a page open for 10min. Everything else seems much more stable and love the return of the notification UI, but safari is a disaster now, wish I could go back to PB2

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
When you drag a tab to the right it now allows you to split screen Safari tabs side by side. Is this a new thing or am I late to the game?

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
Does it still have that horrible blue "location notification" at the top of the screen?

The amount of times I have accidentally hit that and ended up in another app is beyond counting. :(

Humphreys007

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2017

Apple today released the third public beta of iOS 11 to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to download and test the new operating system ahead of its fall launch. The third public beta of iOS 11 comes two weeks after Apple released the second public beta and it likely corresponds to the fourth developer beta.

Beta testers that have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the new iOS 11 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

ios-11-beta-800x500.jpg

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Step-by-step instructions for downloading installing the public beta can be found in our how to. Betas should only be installed on a secondary device as the software is not stable and often includes many bugs.

The fourth developer beta brought some of the most significant changes we've seen yet in an iOS 11 beta. A much-desired swipe feature for clearing Notifications on the Lock screen has been added, and there are also several visual tweaks to icons throughout the operating system. An overview is below:

The iOS 11 operating system introduces several design changes to the operating system, including a new Lock screen experience and a customizable, redesigned Control Center. Siri is smarter, has a more natural voice, and can do more, Messages features person-to-person Apple Pay, Notes has searchable handwriting and document scanning, and Music lets you share playlists with your friends.

A new Files app improves file management on iOS devices, and on the iPad, there's a new Dock, an App Switcher, and support for Drag and Drop, all of which improves multitasking on the device. A revamped App Store is coming in iOS 11, photos and videos take up less space, iMessages can be stored in iCloud, and developers are getting new tools like ARKit for creating impressive new augmented reality apps and games.

For complete details on all of the features included in iOS 11, make sure to check out our iOS 11 roundup. Apple plans to release iOS 11 to the public in the fall following several months of testing and refinement.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third iOS 11 Public Beta
[doublepost=1501019361][/doublepost]Beta one was great, Beta two made my 7plus nearly unusable. Hope three brings it back.

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Install went smoothly for both my Ipad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 7+. Hoping to see improved battery life with my 7+. PB2 had major heat and battery drain issues.

polyh3dron

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
Thank goodness. It doesn't make my iPhone 7 feel like it's a 5S anymore, it actually has decent performance.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I only have a main iPhone so I've held off so far. Might drop this one in tho

I’d wait a bit and see what others have to say who have the same device that you have. The biggest issue for me with iOS 11 on PB 1 and 2 was terrible battery life when browsing the web for extended periods of time on my iPhone 6S when browsing over LTE.

The device would get warm after about 15 - 20 minutes and after an hour battery life would be at 50% and falling rapidly.

So far PB 3 seems to have gone a long way toward fixing it. You can always expect early iOS betas of a forthcoming new yearly release to have worse battery life than normal because Apple devs tend to wait until later in the beta release cycle to tweak battery life but what I was experiencing was pretty extreme even for a beta.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldfash33

kingestkong

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
I'll wait until the GM. In one day, my phone managed to burn 3gb of data and I didn't do any sort of streaming, picture/video sending or anything that would consume nearly that much usage...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'll wait until the GM. In one day, my phone managed to burn 3gb of data and I didn't do any sort of streaming, picture/video sending or anything that would consume nearly that much usage...
iCloud backup and/or photos most likely. I’ve turned of cellular data for such services whilst on the beta.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Just installed on my 7plus.

Bugs I’ve noticed immediately:

-accessing notifications in setting gets stuck and doesn’t access notifications
-3d Touch is delayed
-random blue top bar stating an app is using my location services.
-phone is getting pretty warm

Almost reaching threshold of acceptable Bugginess. No issues on my 10.5 iPad though.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Beta 3 has been good so far - all the major stuff the absolutely crappy Beta 2 was throwing my way (inability to install new apps while updates worked fine, inability to transfer files over from an SD card using Apple's own adapter, frequent app crashes etc) are gone. Running buttery smooth.

Well I guess Apple knows this - got an email this morning from them that I should try the new version. Didn't get that for Beta 1 and Beta 2.

As for the comment above hat Betas are often buggy: agreed, but they should get better over time, and Beta 2 was a huge step back from Beta 1. Also, adding new functionality and changing stuff usually goes in an Alpha, not a Beta. Betas are supposed to be feature complete and there to iron it the quirks, not for adding additional stuff that doesn't work.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Decided to risk PB3 after app store and music app problems on 1.

PB3 works fine, force touch on app icons is slow though.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Bummer, apple removed ‘on my iphone’ Local storage from the files app!

This is as bad as cutting the balls off all apps that might use external data. iCloud is cool and all but local data is the only way we can move towards more computer like functionality. I hope apple returns the feature and opens up apis for apps. Such as sample packs for audio apps that I buy elsewhere or video content purchased for use in video editors.

Still behind what I would call basic pc functions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.