Apple Releases Third Public Betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS

madeirabhoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Does anyone have issues downloading App Store updates for their apps? Be it over WiFi or cellular, they remain stuck...
on my iPad I find the only way to clear the queue of updates is to open the App Store and click on them individually, wait to see if they start downloading, if not press them again so it cancels back to 'update' then press it again, until it moves

Reactions: hubchau

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I was genuinely asking because I only installed the public beta tonight and couldn’t find it. Judging by how many others have also asked, it only kinda backs up how hidden and stupid the change was, lol. Developers rely on everyone being up to date, seems kinda dumb to make unnecessary taps and steps to find it. But thank you for the answer!
I agree. Although most users will most likely have the auto update selected it seems crazy to hide the option. Its not very intuitive now. If folks have to happen to press their icon or ask in a forum or Google it to see how to do it, its probably not the best choice to have it there.

Reactions: Bawstun

LovingTeddy

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Says someone without any apple products, according to your signature... can we at least let this tired old argument be resurfaced by people who seem to actually have experience? Additionally, there is more to being a “productivity powerhouse” than CAD design and 3D animation... you may not be aware of this, but there are many other professions out there in the world that rely on other types of apps to be productive.

But I digress...
Oh, using no Apple products as excuse to attack other? Try again.

I currently have iPhone 7, iPhone XR (for 2 weeks), iPad Pro 10.5, iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Pro 12.9 2018.

iPad Pro is productivity power house? Not in a billion years. Mac Pro is. iPad Pro is not.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
This update is way more usable than then Beta 2. I was having issues with the device crashing, especially when having multiple apps open. And overall it was running slow. I have had 1 crash in the past 24 hours, but overall beta 3 is a win for me.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2019
I'm so proud of Apple for creating these incredibly powerful new operating systems for iPhone and iPad.
I'm loving everything about iOS and iPadOS 13.
Proud?, isn't that an emotion reserved for a son receiving a great school report? For example... not a tech firm who doesn't know your name...

Reactions: jw77777

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010

I currently have iPhone 7, iPhone XR (for 2 weeks), iPad Pro 10.5, iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Pro 12.9 2018.

iPad Pro is productivity power house? Not in a billion years. Mac Pro is. iPad Pro is not.
I suppose it depends on what productivity means to you. I know for me iPad isn’t my only device, but it’s addition to my workflow has had a significant beneficial impact to my productivity. Having a tablet I can quickly draw designs and wireframes on, which is portable enough for me to throw in my bag and pull out and use anywhere, that has tools like Affinity Designer and the OmniGroup suite of apps has been life changing.

It doesn’t fit everyone’s workflow, but it definitely can be hugely impactful for productivity.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not until they put macOS on the iPad. Whatever iPadOS is, it still lacks so many features from desktop OS.

iPad will never be productivity powerhouse. Not if you are serious of CAD design, 3D animation etc.

Saying iPad Pro can edit some 4K video is productivity power house is a joke. Apple should just get ride of that Mac Pro, because you know iPad Pro is a power house
That’s precisely what I like about iOS (or iPadOS at this point), that it isn’t encumbered by a traditional desktop paradigm.

Likewise, people really need to start getting into their heads that productivity isn’t limited to just CAD, or 3D animation, or excel spreadsheets. I look at it this way. These tasks are best performed on a high-end PC (or Mac), then that’s where they belong, and there’s really little need for the iPad to try and replicate this sort of functionality. What the iPad does very well is offer an alternative for tasks that have traditionally been a pain to do on desktops.

For example, there is a lot less friction in simply drawing in Procreate with an Apple Pencil, than buying an expensive Wacom tablet and still having to hook it up to a computer. This really helps democratises drawing and makes it more accessible and less intimidating to aspiring artists.

Likewise, not everyone editing 4K video is aspiring to be the next Steven Spielberg or Casey Neistat. In that regard, iMovie or LumaFusion gets the job done as well, especially if it’s portability and mobility you value more.

There is a lot of room for the iPad to grow even if it doesn’t come close to replicating the capabilities of a PC, and I am fine with that.

LovingTeddy

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
That’s precisely what I like about iOS (or iPadOS at this point), that it isn’t encumbered by a traditional desktop paradigm.

Likewise, people really need to start getting into their heads that productivity isn’t limited to just CAD, or 3D animation, or excel spreadsheets. I look at it this way. These tasks are best performed on a high-end PC (or Mac), then that’s where they belong, and there’s really little need for the iPad to try and replicate this sort of functionality. What the iPad does very well is offer an alternative for tasks that have traditionally been a pain to do on desktops.

For example, there is a lot less friction in simply drawing in Procreate with an Apple Pencil, than buying an expensive Wacom tablet and still having to hook it up to a computer. This really helps democratises drawing and makes it more accessible and less intimidating to aspiring artists.

Likewise, not everyone editing 4K video is aspiring to be the next Steven Spielberg or Casey Neistat. In that regard, iMovie or LumaFusion gets the job done as well, especially if it’s portability and mobility you value more.

There is a lot of room for the iPad to grow even if it doesn’t come close to replicating the capabilities of a PC, and I am fine with that.
LumaFusion is still nowhere near Final Cut or Adobe Primer.

iPad is good for what it does, and trying to claim iPad Pro is a productivity powerhouse is to far fetched.

Professional use professional stuff, iPad to the best is the companion of these professional workflow.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

iPad is good for what it does, and trying to claim iPad Pro is a productivity powerhouse is to far fetched.

Professional use professional stuff, iPad to the best is the companion of these professional workflow.
And not everyone needs the full power of FCP or premiere to be productive.

Given that there is no one definition of “productivity”, it seems far-fetched to insist that the iPad is no good for productivity when there are already people using the iPad for precisely that. It might not be your definition of productivity, but it helps them get work done (often more easily than on a PC), and I think this is something we should acknowledge and celebrate. That we have a wide variety of tools at our disposal, to get things done the way we want.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
daft question but how do you know what beta you are on ? I only installed it on my ipad, public beta 1, and ive never seen since then any update. has it just updated itself in the background. when I go into settings it tells me no update available and it just says ios 13.0 without a version number.

sorry I know im being thick

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Proud?, isn't that an emotion reserved for a son receiving a great school report? For example... not a tech firm who doesn't know your name...
Duckduckgo the term "I've joined the Apple family". It's a thing where many Apple customers believe we're all part of a big extended family of smart and sophisticated product purchasing decision-makers.

mjharwaz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2017
Tucson, AZ

And just like every other person who raises this concern, you focus on your narrow little viewpoint of what it takes to be productive... not acknowledging that your use case is so narrow in the world of professional working people that there may be far more to being productive than what you personally need to do.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2019
Duckduckgo the term "I've joined the Apple family". It's a thing where many Apple customers believe we're all part of a big extended family of smart and sophisticated product purchasing decision-makers.
Can I not just Google it fella, kinda rolls off the tongue a bit easier. In all honesty.. sounds a bit like something in the middle of a cult, and some thing quite pretentious, hey ho...
If you are sophisticated decision makers, how does that work if you buy everything apple related, regardless.... not every product is a bona fide success...

Reactions: Woyzeck

Ledsteplin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I was genuinely asking because I only installed the public beta tonight and couldn’t find it. Judging by how many others have also asked, it only kinda backs up how hidden and stupid the change was, lol. Developers rely on everyone being up to date, seems kinda dumb to make unnecessary taps and steps to find it. But thank you for the answer!
I was a little miffed at first, because I will never ever use the arcade tab. I thought it should be in the games tab. But it is what it is, and I've gotten used to the new location for updates. Apparently, Apple thinks arcade is more important than app updates. But I'll never spend a penny there.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Some people appear to lack reading comprehension in some ways. No one is discussing taking over webpages or the appearance of the apps themselves. This is about the KEYBOARD. A very simple control that SHOULD be pushed to all apps when a user in dark mode. That just makes sense.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015

iPad Pro can well be a productivity powerhouse, and being a “powerhouse” does not need the equipment being powerful or extremely capable. For example, I would love to bring iPad to build master sheet for the building I am managing, rather than MacBook Air. In this case, even though the workload is light, iPad makes more sense than MacBook or Laptop in general.

And guess what? iPad processor raw power is very close to Intel processor raw power according to synthesised tests (*cough*Geekbench*cough*), which already indicates something. With the clear intention from Apple to replace intel processor with their own A series processor, iPad has already become a powerhouse and the year of first ARM Mac won’t be very far, and definitely much much shorter than “a billion year”.

Yes. As “companion”, or in some cases outright replace computer, especially in creativity and illustration industry.

For the interest of not repeating myself, I will not argue the pwoerhouse part again.

But, maybe you should spend more than 2 months on Apple products and services before whining or arguing what others say when other people uses Apple product longer than a year. Also, I wonder why you keep buying Apple products despite not using them too much.
Some people appear to lack reading comprehension in some ways. No one is discussing taking over webpages or the appearance of the apps themselves. This is about the KEYBOARD. A very simple control that SHOULD be pushed to all apps when a user in dark mode. That just makes sense.
The thing about this “master switch” to dark mode is it will ruin app design. Sure, dark mode is “good” for our eyes, but what if developer or designer don’t want to introduce dark mode? They have the freedom to do so. The master switch idea does not make any sense.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
iPad Pro can well be a productivity powerhouse, and being a “powerhouse” does not need the equipment being powerful or extremely capable. For example, I would love to bring iPad to build master sheet for the building I am managing, rather than MacBook Air. In this case, even though the workload is light, iPad makes more sense than MacBook or Laptop in general.

And guess what? iPad processor raw power is very close to Intel processor raw power according to synthesised tests (*cough*Geekbench*cough*), which already indicates something. With the clear intention from Apple to replace intel processor with their own A series processor, iPad has already become a powerhouse and the year of first ARM Mac won’t be very far, and definitely much much shorter than “a billion year”.

Yes. As “companion”, or in some cases outright replace computer, especially in creativity and illustration industry.

For the interest of not repeating myself, I will not argue the pwoerhouse part again.

But, maybe you should spend more than 2 months on Apple products and services before whining or arguing what others say when other people uses Apple product longer than a year. Also, I wonder why you keep buying Apple products despite not using them too much.

The thing about this “master switch” to dark mode is it will ruin app design. Sure, dark mode is “good” for our eyes, but what if developer or designer don’t want to introduce dark mode? They have the freedom to do so. The master switch idea does not make any sense.
How can you possibly say it doesn’t make any sense when every third party keyboard Apple offers has been controlling the keyboard UI for years? Install Fleksy and any color keyboard you choose, is pushed to every app. Makes no difference what the developer wants for their keyboard...if you select pink, you’re gonna get pink. Blue is blue. Black is black. It works system-wide. Seems quite common sense to do the same for a dark mode keyboard.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
I have the following issues
1. Car play map on widget, some times the map doesn't move, so your pointer moves off screen. This happens when you don't have an active navigation running, just showing the map in the widget.
2. Be in any app, then all of a sudden, screen goes black, then the spinning waiting icon, then the lock screen. Happened in last release of Beta and this one as well.
3. Google Home (device) and Google Chrome Cast (Device), both don't work with iOS 13, but other device in Google Home (app) work.
4. Issues with Wireless Charging with Apple Battery Case. Sometimes charging works, other time, nothing, indication is charging is being done, but no charging happens. Testing with different wireless chargers, so it's not a charger issue.
5. Car play was not working in Public Beta 1, but has been since Public Beta 2.
6. Searching in settings, when picking a link, doesn't take you to the correct location, this is still happening, search "Accessibility" and pick any link.

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
IPad Pro 11.
Safari bugs driving my me crazy. Parts of webpages are blinking when scrolling.
Stock app crashing when clicking on a different company

no system freezes etc. if only Safari was working ...:(

Reactions: harriska2

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2019
Just done this, and there no mention of this cult group, only joining apple family music sharing group.
Sounds like the first rule of the apple family is that you dont talk about the apple family!!

Reactions: Woyzeck