Apple Releases Third Public Betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Diane B macrumors regular

I haven’t done betas for awhile but was tempted because of IPad OS (don’t have it on XS Max) so installed on older gen 1 12.9 Pro—won’t install on 2018 12.9 yet. I installed PB 3 last night (After first 2) and there are still some issues, none terrible but annoying—and I just froze a bit ago—reboot takes care of it for me so far.

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

This move to separate out iOS for iPad into its own iPadOS productivity powerhouse means things will only get better from here.

3. mjharwaz macrumors member

mjharwaz

Yes. I’ve been doing this, and no problem... well, other than in PB2 the phone wouldn’t take my watch off DND automatically. This seems to be fixed in PB3 though.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2019 ---
    See, I tried checking release notes and missed it somehow...

4. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

Wow, Apple devs fixed a ton of issues. Kudos! Mail for google now deletes in view full message view. I haven’t had email download issues. Widgets now works in portrait mode. Calendar 5 no longer quits immediately upon start. Muuuuch more useable.

5. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

It's just doing what us IT guys are always telling it to do! We call that the built in tech support feature.

6. yakapo macrumors regular

im also having issues with mail.

7. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

8. hagjohn macrumors 6502a

hagjohn

9. behroozplt macrumors newbie

Safari doesn't have ' open in new tab ' function on iPados new public beta.

10. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

?? I’m on the beta and my CarPlay seems to be working fine.

11. efiniusrex macrumors newbie

On beta 2 I could pair my airpods and another bluetooth headset to apple music at the same time. It looks like that's gone now.

12. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I haven’t had any improvements to stability myself, Mail still won’t sync properly and updating apps require me to hit “update” a dozen times.

When switching apps through the bottom dock it sometimes still hangs for 10ish seconds.

13. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68030

Tim is that you?

14. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

The new "Block Contact" feature in Mail doesn't seem to work for me. Otherwise, no issues in Mail.

15. sbailey4, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

There was one of the iOS 11 betas that killed cellular on certain phones until the next day when they re-released it. THAT is why they wait a day or even several hours before releasing public. Dev betas are supposed to be used on spare development devices whereas PB users typically are installing on daily drivers. So something like that would not be as catastrophic on DEV only as a public roll out would be.

16. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Just installed this on a 6S Plus to try it out. Seems very stable, it could be my imagination but the scrolling seems much more fluid in browsers and overall less dropped frames / lag in the iOS interface itself. Dark mode is also great, can’t believe it only took 10 years to get here.

17. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Where does one locate the updates for apps in the App Store now that Apple has replaced a necessary tab (Updates) with a rather unnecessary one (Arcade)?

Seems like a stupid change, but I’m not surprised seeing as year after year their interface and options are becoming more and more unintuitive.

18. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

True to its name, this beta is definitely still a work in progress.

The Files app is a complete mess. It gets a spinning wheel to loading files. Remote files rarely work. An external spinning drive connecting via USB C doesn't show. Luckily, I don't depend too heavily on the app, it's just an inconvenience.

Many of the new gestures on iPad OS are unreliable. I've not been able to reliably move the cursor or select text. It just seems to randomly do whichever one it wants. Also, attempting to drag an image sometimes gets a pop up context menu, other times it previews a linked page, yet other times it just opens the image.

Apple has their work cut out for them to get this working for September.

Gestures are turning out to be a lot more complex than you'd expect, a big problem for discoverability. I'm trying to put myself in someone's shoes at the beginning of the Mac era. Was the mouse easy to learn? I think so, because moving it around reflected movements of the cursor on the screen and you could easily learn to control what the mouse did on the screen. One button meant to click something. Simple.

Moving the cursor and clicking is just as intuitive in the Touch and Tap interface of the iPhone which is why it took off and was copied by Android. But more complex gestures are not intuitive at all. Maybe more complex things like click and drag and resize windows weren't immediately obvious but they were discoverable. Moving your cursor to the corner of a window showed a resize cursor.

Steve Jobs mentioned this difficulty at the beginning of the iPhone and cited it as the reason why Copy/Paste wasn't in the first iteration. These gestures are going to define this UI and will be with us forever, so they wanted to get it right. Let's see if they do get it right when iPadOS' official release comes.

19. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

I can’t seem to get the “paste” window to pop-up despite there being text copied to my clipboard. Anyone else having this issue and how do I report it?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2019 ---
    Yikes the new share sheet is awful. It takes up the entire device screen! Lmao. Totally turns it into an eyesore and removes the initial idea of it being a quick information pop-up at a glance. Completely pulls you out of where you are just so you can click things like “copy URL”. Yikes this is so bad. ☹️

20. mjharwaz macrumors member

mjharwaz

Are you seriously asking where this is now or just complaining about the change? I only ask because it’s been posted numerous time in iOS 13 discussions here... tap your user icon in the top right of the App Store and updates are listed there.

21. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

i agree. It was a pretty brilliant solution to cursor placement when your finger would be in the way.

22. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Not until they put macOS on the iPad. Whatever iPadOS is, it still lacks so many features from desktop OS.

iPad will never be productivity powerhouse. Not if you are serious of CAD design, 3D animation etc.

Saying iPad Pro can edit some 4K video is productivity power house is a joke. Apple should just get ride of that Mac Pro, because you know iPad Pro is a power house

23. mjharwaz macrumors member

mjharwaz

Says someone without any apple products, according to your signature... can we at least let this tired old argument be resurfaced by people who seem to actually have experience? Additionally, there is more to being a “productivity powerhouse” than CAD design and 3D animation... you may not be aware of this, but there are many other professions out there in the world that rely on other types of apps to be productive.

But I digress...

24. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

I was genuinely asking because I only installed the public beta tonight and couldn’t find it. Judging by how many others have also asked, it only kinda backs up how hidden and stupid the change was, lol. Developers rely on everyone being up to date, seems kinda dumb to make unnecessary taps and steps to find it. But thank you for the answer!

25. hubchau macrumors newbie

Does anyone have issues downloading App Store updates for their apps? Be it over WiFi or cellular, they remain stuck...