Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update 1.2, designed for the Thunderbolt Display that was released in 2011. According to the release notes, the update improves reliability when connecting devices to the Apple Thunderbolt Display and addresses a rare issue that may cause the display to go black.

Thunderbolt Display owners can download the update from the Mac App Store.

thunderbolt_display_yos_roundup.jpg
Thunderbolt Display Firmware updates are fairly rare, with the last firmware update released in December of 2011 to fix an issue with fan noise.

Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update 1.2

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
How about instead of releasing a Thunderbolt Display firmware update, Apple releases a 4K Thunderbolt Display instead! :p

displayblock

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Great, now release a new Thunderbolt Display.. :D

They could create a 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution display, but that falls short of the bar they set with the 5K Retina display in the newest iMacs.

For Retina iMac resolution on a Thunderbolt Display, you would need to connect two Thunderbolt 2 cables between the new display and your Mac to achieve the bandwidth necessary. A single cable solution would only be possible for Macs with Thunderbolt 3 ports (once they're released).

xizdun

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
As many of you know, the current Thunderbolt technology doesn't support 5K. You'd have to use two Thunderbolt cables to transmit 5K resolution data. Thus why Apple didn't launch a 5K Thunderbolt Display alongside the "iMac with Retina 5K".

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
As many of you know, the current Thunderbolt technology doesn't support 5K. You'd have to use two Thunderbolt cables to transmit 5K resolution data. Thus why Apple didn't launch a 5K Thunderbolt Display alongside the "iMac with Retina 5K".

Yes, and most current macs won't be able to drive a 5K display because they only have one Thunderbolt bus.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I can't seem to get this update - nothing showing in the App Store and nothing happening when I click the link above ?

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Honestly after experiencing very few issues with mine, I'm gunshy about touching any update like this. "If it ain't broke..."

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

What about Thunderbolt 2?

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Honestly after experiencing very few issues with mine, I'm gunshy about touching any update like this. "If it ain't broke..."

OK. Then don't.

----------

How about instead of releasing a Thunderbolt Display firmware update, Apple releases a 4K Thunderbolt Display instead! :p

Have you asked this question of Apple? They would know better than anyone else.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
About time, although too late for me. I returned my (brand new) Thunderbolt Display 6 months ago because the screen would go black every hour or so when using my Mac Mini. I bought an iMac instead.

This firmware update is long overdue, there is an epic thread on the Apple boards about this very issue!

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California

Yes, but they could do 4K, which would be a great improvement to the current Thunderbolt Display already.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003

Here, here. It doesn't even have the correct dongle.

Doesn't need to be 5K, but an upgrade is long overdue. (And work out the kinks and glitches in the current edition.)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
"...and addresses a rare issue that may cause the display to go black."

And once it goes black, it don't go back. :eek:

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I know the TBD is old in tech terms, but I've been very happy with the refurb I bought earlier this year. It's still a great display and works as a very nice docking station for my rMBP. Looking forward to when they release a new one, though!

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It is very possible to build a 5K Thunderbolt display.

The solution is to integrate a GPU into the display, then connect that GPU to the Mac via Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt supports GPUs; it is essentially a PCI Express bus.

The GPU in the display can then privately drive as many pixels as you want, and the performance will be more than adequate since you basically have a PCI express bus equivalent between it and the computer. This way you're not having to send every pixel on the screen to the display 60 times a second.

Apple isn't releasing a 5K Thunderbolt display either because they don't want to, or don't think it will sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.