Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 14.6, the sixth update to the tvOS 14 operating system that was released in September 2020. tvOS 14.6 comes a month after the release of tvOS 14.5, an update that added a new Color Balance feature and support for the latest gaming controllers.

apple-tv-4k-design-green.jpg

tvOS 14.6, which is a free update, can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System > Software Update. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates enabled will be upgraded to tvOS 14.5 automatically.

tvOS updates are often minor in scale, focusing primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than outward-facing changes. tvOS 14.6 lays the groundwork for the new Apple Music Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos and Lossless Audio features.

Spatial Audio offers an immersive audio experience that makes it sound like music is coming from all around you, while Lossless Audio will provide higher-quality songs that sound exactly like they do when artists record them in the studio.

At launch in June, thousands of tracks will feature Spatial Audio support, and more than 20,000 songs will support Lossless Audio. By the end of the year, 75 million songs will support it.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 14.6 to Prepare for Upcoming Apple Music Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio Features

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Great, now release 14.7 because I, like a proper moron, updated to the beta instead of doing a full reset. And now I cant until they release GM 14.7.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
tvOS 14.6, which is a free update, can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System > Software Update. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates enabled will be upgraded to tvOS 14.5 automatically.

So it's not out (or it's a rolling update) and clearly the post didn't get proofread before publishing.

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2016
I've been able to get the updates on iOS, iPadOS, and watchOS. But for some reason none of my Apple TV (4th and 5th gens) are showing it.

JSL1

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
I hope tvOS 14.6 supports the new Siri remote Power button also using IR (for those of us where CEC doesn't work).
Learning IR for Power button like you can with Volume + - and Mute.

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
Same here in Florida, neither my Apple TVs see 14.6 I have a 4th, and 5th Generation. Very strange, usually all my devices see the update within the same time frame. Anyone seeing the update yet from the East coast US ?

Reactions: centauratlas

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Even when you turn automatic updates on on Apple TV, it seems to take a long time for it ever do it all by itself.

Also there should be an easy way to update your Apple TV remotely from your iPhone! why should I have to physically touch the Apple TV?!

xpxp2002

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2016
Also there should be an easy way to update your Apple TV remotely from your iPhone! why should I have to physically touch the Apple TV?!
Agreed! I can upgrade my HomePods through my phone in the Home app. My Apple TVs are my preferred Home Hubs. They should upgrade the exact same way.

Reactions: dadiy

TimFL1

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Even when you turn automatic updates on on Apple TV, it seems to take a long time for it ever do it all by itself.

They already support that for the HomePod. Sounds like a no brainer to have them add the Apple TV updates to the Home app (as a separate way of going about it) too.

Reactions: xpxp2002

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Same here in Florida, neither my Apple TVs see 14.6 I have a 4th, and 5th Generation. Very strange, usually all my devices see the update within the same time frame. Anyone seeing the update yet from the East coast US ?

Ditto here, also in Florida. I checked on the Apple TV’s we have.

Edit: 2 minutes after posting it showed up

• Haha
Reactions: armandxp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.