Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 17.5.1, a minor update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.5.1 comes a week after the release of tvOS 17.5.

apple-tv-4k-red-image.jpg

tvOS 17.5.1 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.5.1 automatically.

Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS updates are often minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and other small improvements. According to Apple's release notes, the update addresses a bug with the Photos app that could cause deleted images to reappear.
This update addresses a rare issue where photos that experienced database corruption could reappear in the Photos library even if they were deleted.
Apple fixed the same bug on the iPhone and iPad with the iOS 17.5.1 and iPadOS 17.5.1 updates that came out yesterday.

We don't know what's new in the update, but it may address the same Photos bug that was fixed in iOS 17.5.1 yesterday.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.5.1 to Fix Photos Corruption Bug Causing Deleted Images to Reappear

Last edited:

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
My update isn't even going through. It downloads to a little more than half way and it just stops.

EDIT: After about 20 min of it stuck and saying about 2 minutes remaining it finally updated.

Last edited:

Mike_Trivisonno

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I have had every AppleTV since the original release. And what they've done to the browsing/purchasing experience has just ruined it for me. It is so difficult to simply browse for content. They've mashed movies and television shows into an unusable hot mess of "top 10", "trending", and "hot picks". It's now easier and more enjoyable to use the Amazon Prime interface than Apple's.

So sad. I will probably not be buying anymore AppleTVs.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
There doesn't seem to be an audioOS 17.5.1

They often, but not always update homepods the same time as appletvs with the same versions and build numbers, but not this time

BigGongZillaSkrillex

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2024
So no one holding apple accountable for storing people’s deleted photos but it’s okay though
Not again...

It's a bug related to the Files app, those photos were stored in the Files app before they were deleted from the Photos app. iOS 17.5 reindexed those photos and added them back to the Photos app.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGongZillaSkrillex

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2024
There doesn't seem to be an audioOS 17.5.1

They often, but not always update homepods the same time as appletvs with the same versions and build numbers, but not this time
Doesn't seem necessary as there's not Files app on the HomePod and no user information to fix.

Reactions: Aves

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I have had every AppleTV since the original release. And what they've done to the browsing/purchasing experience has just ruined it for me. It is so difficult to simply browse for content. They've mashed movies and television shows into an unusable hot mess of "top 10", "trending", and "hot picks". It's now easier and more enjoyable to use the Amazon Prime interface than Apple's.

Keep leaving feedback with the feedback form. The interface after 17.1 is garbage.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

So true and really sad. It used to be that the Amazon Prime interface was the worst. Now, just by basically sitting on their hands it’s become a viable option in comparison to Apple’s garbage interface.

Apple’s bottom line is that they want you to get subscriptions. They do NOT want you to own files and they especially don’t want you to own physical media.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My homepod stereo pair stopped working… hope the fix is in here!

My refurb HomePods are now playing Neanderthal drum-like music that I thought was long since lost to humanity. Obviously, only Apple can innovate ways to resurrect deleted, lost & extinct files for fresh enjoyment.

When lead singer Gog McRockney of "The Hunter's & The Gatherers" sings "get me some of them mastodon, mastodon, mastodon ribs, baby, baby, baby" it's almost Beatlesque. ;)

Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Fixes the photo issue addressed in iOS 17.5.1 yesterday.
What I want to know is if these were deleted permanently why aren’t more people pissed off at Apple for continuing to hold them on servers!!!

Losing my trust in that company. Oddly, if you delete something and call Apple support, they will tell you it’s lost. So which is it?! Is Apple deleting these or holding onto them for some internal need?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.