Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I have the exact same issue (update shows 13.2 pending, not 13.2.1) - anyone else able to figure out a way around this?
I took the risk and installed anyway. Now shows "up to date", and Siri says HomePods are running 13.2.1.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I figured out what my issue was. I’ve got two HomePods that are set as a Stereo Pair. One of them had updated and one had not. I had to unpair the “accessories” and then pull the plug on both for 5-10 seconds and then plug ‘em back in. That was when I was able to see that one of ‘em wasn’t up to date, and also wasn’t updating at all. Had to reset it, set it up WITHOUT pairing it, and then after a couple minutes it downloaded a very large update, like 950MB or so. Once it was up to date, I was able to pair them both and now all is working perfectly for me. So happy I don’t have to bring these things in lol

Jbaffoh

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Hawaii
The voice recognition is buggy as hell. When I set up my HomePods with my phone, everything works great for me. But when I invite my wife, Siri won’t recognize her by name. However, when I set up the Home with my wife’s phone and invite myself to join, then every thing works for both of us. I’ve tried this dozens of times and it makes no sense to me. Anybody have clues? We would prefer to create the home with my phone and not hers.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Having waited for 13.2.1, I finally updated. Everything worked but airplay connection. It would play music from the speaker, "hey Siri" worked, and I could even pause/play from the phone using the home app. Yet, I couldn't connect any device to the HomePod using airplay. I had to remove the HomePod and re-set it. Works fine now.

andreyirra

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Mexico
after updating:
1 - HomePod doesn’t register as a Hub. It’s been a few days and nothing.
2 - can’t log in or out of Apple Music in the HomePod settings - it says the iPhone failed to comunicate with the device, check if it’s connected to the internet. Tried setting it up with an iPhone and a iPad.
3 - after the initial update it kept registering as a second HomePod (just have one).
4 - The hub would appear disconnected because it kept thinking I had another one. (Located at the living room)
5 - after resetting 2 times I changed the location to another room (kitchen because “living room” was “stuck” and then it finally registered just one HomePod. Now the Hub appeared as located in the living room with no response. A third resetting disappeared any hint of a hub.

So far I have thought that
1- HomePod is in another network (I have an AirPort Extreme) hence the couldn’t locate the device and logout
2- Apple Music is stuck - one time I Deleted the HomePod form the home app but kept working as normal until I turned off the iPhone.
3 the home settings are corrupt and didn’t look for another hub.

any suggestions?

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Give it some time. You’ll get a notification that voice recognition is ready from the home app.
Well its been a fair few days and it still isn't working.
I've reset the Homepod now we have the .1 release. It's been over 24 hours and still doesn't work.
She has all the stuff turned on that the support document says. We have reset Hey Siri on her phone etc.

Apple - It no longer "Just works"

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
after updating:
2 - can’t log in or out of Apple Music in the HomePod settings - it says the iPhone failed to comunicate with the device, check if it’s connected to the internet. Tried setting it up with an iPhone and a iPad.
3 - after the initial update it kept registering as a second HomePod (just have one).
4 - The hub would appear disconnected because it kept thinking I had another one. (Located at the living room)
5 - after resetting 2 times I changed the location to another room (kitchen because “living room” was “stuck” and then it finally registered just one HomePod. Now the Hub appeared as located in the living room with no response. A third resetting disappeared any hint of a hub.

1- HomePod is in another network (I have an AirPort Extreme) hence the couldn’t locate the device and logout
2- Apple Music is stuck - one time I Deleted the HomePod form the home app but kept working as normal until I turned off the iPhone.

any suggestions?
when you Updated was it to HomPod ISO 13.2 or did you update to iOS 13.2.1. if it was 13.2 then you need to contact apple support.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Waiting on Apple to get the old HomePods that were bricked as it's going slow with them. And because I have a vote of no confidence in them to provide my units back in good condition from all the other repairs and the fact that I need music at home and a automation hub I cannot go weeks without while they sort this.

Bought replacement units and will sell the old ones after or request refund from apple if they are damaged in any way. Came with 11.4 on them and updated to 12.3.1 on all but one and had to do a reset and it then worked as it should.

Their software from the whole iOS 12.3 forwards has been horrible and only gotten worse with iOS 13. Turned auto update on all my devices off because I'm finished trusting them ever again. YOU DO NOT TEST IN PRODUCTON APPLE. You just don't....

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Who's going to be the guinea pig?
Yes it seemed that I was forced to update this when I updated everything else as far as Software went and it immediately wrecked my HomePod hoping for better functionality and only owning it two weeks I was just made an apple for letting such a release out. I called Support immediately and they told me that the only thing I could do was send it in for repair and then it be a couple of days to get my aunt back a week less by with no communications other than a very vague raffle repair status the basely says the repair was done but nothing was going to be sent out. After calling back today and speaking with an Apple representative who is very nice and spending a good half an hour to 45 minutes with one person after she communicated with several other people to get a status of my HomePod I came to find out that I would not be getting my HomePod as promised and there will be several weeks before the part came in an order for me to get my HomePod back. Unfortunately apples become so big that they no longer have a handle on their supply chain and they’re not committing the resources to making sure that things areCommunicated to customers correctly. I’m glad I purchased at Costco because I can return it as soon as I get it back I was hoping that I could get rid of all my other technologies and just use the HomePod but without its own built-in hard reset button it makes this device very flaky and I cannot recommend it in anyway shape or form and I’m an Apple gig from way back and it’s sad for me to say that this is one of the worst products I’ve ever built

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Yes it seemed that I was forced to update this when I updated everything else as far as Software went and it immediately wrecked my HomePod hoping for better functionality and only owning it two weeks I was just made an apple for letting such a release out. I called Support immediately and they told me that the only thing I could do was send it in for repair and then it be a couple of days to get my aunt back a week less by with no communications other than a very vague raffle repair status the basely says the repair was done but nothing was going to be sent out. After calling back today and speaking with an Apple representative who is very nice and spending a good half an hour to 45 minutes with one person after she communicated with several other people to get a status of my HomePod I came to find out that I would not be getting my HomePod as promised and there will be several weeks before the part came in an order for me to get my HomePod back. Unfortunately apples become so big that they no longer have a handle on their supply chain and they’re not committing the resources to making sure that things areCommunicated to customers correctly. I’m glad I purchased at Costco because I can return it as soon as I get it back I was hoping that I could get rid of all my other technologies and just use the HomePod but without its own built-in hard reset button it makes this device very flaky and I cannot recommend it in anyway shape or form and I’m an Apple gig from way back and it’s sad for me to say that this is one of the worst products I’ve ever built

I think I understood your post, and so what you are initiating is that there is going to be a substantial backlog on getting these units back out?

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
after updating:

any suggestions?
If you have a dual band router (like a Time Capsule) try disabling the 5GHz band. Some people have found that the Homepod is tricked by band-switching.

andreyirra

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Mexico
Thanks. I tried that to no avail. Separated the 5ghz band using a different name. All devices are connected to the 2.4 ghz band. Then I wiped the HomePod and set it up again. The problem persists

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.