Apple Releases watchOS 3.1 With Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new software update for the Apple Watch, upgrading watchOS 3 to watchOS 3.1. The new watchOS 3.1 update comes more than one month after watchOS 3 was first provided to the public, marking the first update to the new operating system. watchOS 3.1 has been in testing since September 21, with Apple having seeded three betas before launch.

watchOS 3.1 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. An iPhone running iOS 10 or later is required to download the new software, but it is available for all Apple Watch models.

[​IMG]

During the beta testing period, no major outward-facing changes or feature tweaks were discovered, so watchOS 3.1 focuses mainly on performance improvements and bug fixes to address issues that have popped up since the release of watchOS 3. The release notes list several bug fixes and improvements:
    watchOS 3 is a significant update that brings a new interface to the Apple Watch, with a dedicated app dock, instant launch apps, and new watch faces. There are new Activity sharing features, a "Breathe" app guides users through deep breathing sessions to cut down on stress, and an SOS feature can automatically call emergency services. For more details on watchOS 3, make sure to check out our watchOS 3 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 3.1 With Bug Fixes

2. pcmacgamer macrumors regular

3. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

4. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

5. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

That should be Touch methinks.

6. Tyenglund macrumors newbie

7. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Not showing an update, must be the same as the previous beta that was released?

8. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Can't see the build number in the dev portal so I can't establish if this is the same as the last beta, or just not showing up yet :(

9. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

Is the Emoji picker usable again, it's slow as dirt in 3.0?

10. insocal, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

insocal macrumors regular

Not giving me the option to update to 3.1 Says 3.0 is up to date. Hmmmm.

Update: Had to reboot the Watch in order for the iPhone to realize it needed the update. Weird.

11. surfingarbo, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

I don't think the watch no longer needs to be placed in a charger to update. As long as your batter is greater than 50%, you should be good.

Edit: The watch app on your iPhone appears to be worded differently if you're running iOS 10.1. In the end, I did have to connect to a charger to update my watch, despite having over 50% battery on my watch.

12. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

Fun story: I was taking my original steel Apple Watch off the charging puck last week, and the back of the watch decided to stay on the puck, rather than on the back of my watch. The charging wires are only VERY lightly soldered to the board, so they came right off.

Luckily, Apple has a "quality program" to deal with this issue, so my repair is gratis.

13. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Incorrect.

[​IMG]

14. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

My apple watch series 1 is slow and laggy on watchos 3. hope this at least alleviates that.

Can't help but think that lazy programming is behind all this. I mean come on, do we really need a dual core processor nowadays to smoothly run a 42mm screen computer on a wrist watch?

My main desktop computer 10 years ago was single core amd athlon xp with 512mb ram....same as my 'old' watch...and it was a beast and could do incredible and amazing things... like play online against 30+ people on battlefield lol.

Now 10 years later, the same specs can't send or receive emojis to one person without lag.

15. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

looking forward to the battery improvements that others mentioned during the beta period!

16. surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

Interesting. Mine doesn't say that:

Attached Files:

17. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

A much welcomed update, I have found 3.0 a little jittery and unstable, with a few restarts along the way.

Oh and crappy battery life on my S2.

18. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I bet that 10 yr old desktop wasn't milled from a solid ingot of aluminium! Was it the most personal computing device you ever owned? Probably wasn't even magical either.

19. kissfan macrumors regular

kissfan

With app updates that are much larger, when will Apple do away with Wi-Fi only update requirements?

20. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Just installed and weather doesn't work...yet.

Powered off and powered back on.

Never mind...finally worked.

21. ericg301 macrumors 65816

I always do a re-pair after every OS update.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That's what I keep hearing about the S2, is the poor battery life. That was the one thing that kept me from upgrading. I know the battery is larger in the S2, but with the screen brightness and GPS, its equivalent to the first Gen Apple Watch.

23. gk712 macrumors newbie

which build number has the final release?

24. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Lemme guess... iOS beta user?

Mine definitely said to put it on the charger - and it wouldn't finish installation until I did.

25. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

That is a great question. Wondering if anyone can confirm this as well!