Apple Releases watchOS 5.2.1 With ECG Functionality for Additional European Countries

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released watchOS 5.2.1, the sixth update to the watchOS 5 operating system that runs on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 5.2.1 comes more than a month after the release of watchOS 5.2, an update that added AirPods 2 support.

watchOS 5.2.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

The watchOS 5.2.1 update is minor in scale and focuses on performance improvements and bug fixes discovered since the release of watchOS 5.2. There were no changes discovered during the watchOS 5.2.1 beta testing period, and according to Apple's release notes, the update makes the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and Slovakia.
    Work on watchOS 5 is set to wind down over the course of the next month as Apple transitions to watchOS 6, which is expected to be unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 5.2.1 With ECG Functionality for Additional European Countries

2. PlayersKing macrumors newbie

PlayersKing

3. Pragati55 macrumors member

Pragati55

4. iGeneo macrumors regular

iGeneo

Cue the complainers... "Damn you Apple, you must hate us in (fill in your country here)

;)

5. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Wow! Wasn't expecting the Czech Republic to make the list in 2019 to be honest, awesome!

6. sevecc macrumors newbie

sevecc

Can not activate in Poland still after the update... :(

7. Marconelly, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Very glad to see the Explorer watch face numbers problem is fixed - and that it was actually a bug and not an intentional design change.

Nice to see the ECG feature being expanded with every new release, but I still have a sinking feeling that AW5 will come out before this feature comes over to Canada :-D

8. sevecc macrumors newbie

sevecc

Ok, it worked after updating iPhone to official 12.3

9. LaraCroft835 macrumors regular

LaraCroft835

10. bubsdaddy macrumors regular

Quick update. Like 10 minutes on my Series 4.

11. blueagle macrumors newbie

blueagle

12. nitramluap macrumors regular

Blame our regulatory body (TGA). There is no reason now that it has CE (European) approval that it shouldn't automatically be approved in Australia (like other medical devices).

No, the approvals process is a nice little money spinner for these organisations and Apple has deep pockets which they would probably like to exploit. Same goes for the 'Australian Standards' BS with devices such as motorcycle/bicycle helmets. There is nothing special about our standard apart from the fact it requires manufacturers to spend tens of thousands of dollars per helmet model to get approval. It's why we see so few available and why they're so expensive. That's SAI Global doing that... crooks.

13. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Vanuatu ?
    Mayotte ?

14. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Hope this fixes the Apple TV bug. If you use HP for Apple TV audio, then turn off the TV, HP no longer understands your requests. You have to turn ATV back on and change the audio output to something other than HP. Very annoying.

15. Pragati55 macrumors member

Pragati55

These are the countries where apple has not yet applied for ECG functionality
    canada
    Australia
    Russia
    China
    India
    .........:.......i have friends who have reached and confirmed form there FDA ..kind of agency

16. Don1985 macrumors member

I bought my series 4 in UAE but live in UK. No ECG for me

17. deathnite macrumors member

deathnite

18. insomniac86 macrumors regular

insomniac86

Australia and Canada first world countries that seem so lag behind everyone else.

19. bryn0076 macrumors member

bryn0076

We don’t lag in sunshine and happiness !

20. lederermc macrumors 6502a

lederermc

Sea of Tranquility, Moon! Oh Come On!

21. Lopov Jack macrumors member

Lopov Jack

A cool Apple feature in Croatia! Wow! Unbelievable. And we still don't have Apple Music :(

22. Robert R A macrumors newbie

i brought the apple series 4 watch before i left New Zealand which i could use the ECG feature while in the UK
    but no the watch has to be purchased in the country that has the ECG feature it appears they are country locked.

23. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Some says it is not country locked. All watches have ECG feature. It is just locked.

24. Robert R A macrumors newbie

how do we get the lock removed i asked at apple but they could not help me

25. haddy, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

haddy macrumors 6502

Okay if you hop over to the US and buy an AW S4 there the ECG function will work anywhere.;) It's what I did.