Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its Black History Month announcement this morning, Apple has confirmed that iOS 14.4 and watchOS 7.3 will be released later today.

14.4-on-iPhone-12-feature-2.jpg

watchOS 7.3 expands the ECG app on the Apple Watch Series 4 and newer to Japan, Mayotte, Thailand, and the Philippines, while iOS 14.4 introduces a notification on iPhone 12 models with non-genuine cameras. Both software updates also add support for a new "Unity" watch face based on the Pan-African flag and contain several bug fixes.

iOS 14.4 Release Candidate notes:
iOS 14.4 includes the following improvements for your ‌iPhone‌:
- Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
- Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
- Notifications for when the camera on your ‌iPhone‌ is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in ‌iPhone 12‌, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max

This release also fixes the following issues:
- Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌
- Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
- Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
- The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
- Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
- Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen
watchOS 7.3 Release Candidate notes:
watchOS 7.3 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:
- Unity watch face—inspired by the colors of the Pan-African Flag, the shapes change throughout the day as you move creating a face that's unique to you
- Time to Walk for Apple Fitness+ subscribers—an audio experience in the Workout app where guests share inspiring stories as you walk
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Japan, Mayotte, Philippines, and Thailand
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications in Japan, Mayotte, Philippines, Taiwan, and Thailand
- Fix for an issue where Control Center and Notification Center may be unresponsive when Zoom is enabled
iPadOS 14.4 should be released later today as well. Apple typically releases software updates around 10 a.m. Pacific Time / 1 p.m. Eastern Time.

Article Link: Apple Releasing iOS 14.4 and watchOS 7.3 Later Today

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
Ever since 14.3 I've had this horrendously annoying bug where Spotlight search doesnt work and iMessage search doesn't work.

The screen just freezes up when attempted. It also feels as though battery life degrades heavily if I attempt a search.

I really really hope this update fixes this, as I have tried everything suggested online (exlcuding a fresh reset which I really do not want to do if it can be avoided) and nothing has worked.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Why did they list Time to Walk as a feature for watchOS when it came out yesterday and works with 7.2?
Yeah, it popped up on my partner's watch yesterday when she started a walk, and she's definitely not running 7.3. What a weird feature note.

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I really wish they would fix the iOS dim screen upon wake-up in bright conditions issue. I don't have any ambient or power saving settings in place on my phone but just about every time I go look at an on-screen notification outside in the sun, the screen is very dim which also carries over to when I unlock it to try and view it. I give it a few seconds and the screen then goes back to my brightness setting.

Reactions: DGB! and ouimetnick

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I wonder if it will be released on time or have some unexplained delays like some of the recent updates have experienced.

locrumo

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2020
"Notifications for when the camera on your ‌iPhone‌ is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in ‌iPhone 12‌, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max"

They want you to update haha :cool:

Biglethal69

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
I really wish they would fix the iOS dim screen upon wake-up in bright conditions issue. I don't have any ambient or power saving settings in place on my phone but just about every time I go look at an on-screen notification outside in the sun, the screen is very dim which also carries over to when I unlock it to try and view it. I give it a few seconds and the screen then goes back to my brightness setting.
HAVE YOU LOGGED YOUR FAULT WITH APPLE IF NOT HOW ARE THE GOING TO KNOW AS I THINK THEY GOT BETTER Things to do then read MacRumor. This is why they have a beta system to SUBMIT THE PROBLEMS YOU FIND.

Last edited:

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
My S6 battery has been trash since the 7.1 update and through 7.2, but then it suddenly started working fine about a week ago. Now I don’t know if i should update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.