Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a pair of updates for its Apple Remote Desktop software package, updating both its admin and client applications to version 3.3.2.
This update improves the overall stability and performance of Apple Remote Desktop in addition to delivering the specific improvements listed below.

Setup
* Improved handling of IP address and port changes for clients accessed behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) system
* Upgrading to Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 will no longer reset non-administrator access privileges
* Improved reliability when authenticating new client computers

Software Distribution
* Improved reporting of results of failed package installations

Asset Management
* MacBook Air MAC address is now correctly reported
* Improved reliability of reporting systems configured with AirPort
* Correctly reports system version for systems that have been promoted from Mac OS X to Mac OS X Server

Remote Assistance
* Improved mouse cursor tracking when controlling remote systems
* Improved reliability when controlling remote clients that have a 1366-by-768 resolution
* Improved performance when clients are being controlled by RealVNC viewers
* Improved reliability when controlling systems that have dual graphics processors
* Improved support when controlling systems running third-party VNC servers
* Improved reliability for drag-and-drop file copy
* Improved reliability when controlling client computers that have two displays
* Improved reliability when controlling remote systems in scale mode with certain resolutions
* Menu Extra now correctly shows status when being observed by a VNC viewer
- Apple Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Admin (51.4 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.7 or later)
- Apple Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Client (4.2 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.7 or later)

Article Link: Apple Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Updates Released

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wonder if ARD uses more or less bandwidth than in the past. That has sometimes been a problem for us at school since our network is sometimes close to its capacity.

cosmos

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
I wonder if ARD uses more or less bandwidth than in the past. That has sometimes been a problem for us at school since our network is sometimes close to its capacity.

Not sure, but if something like ARD (or VNC, etc.) would push your network resources over the edge, I think that you have more problems than remote sessions to be worried about. :D

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
I'm waiting for better handling of dynamic ip addresses. If I save a connection with a dyndns.org hostname it gets replaced with the actual IP so when that changes I have to rekey the hostname to pick up the latest IP.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I'm waiting for better handling of dynamic ip addresses. If I save a connection with a dyndns.org hostname it gets replaced with the actual IP so when that changes I have to rekey the hostname to pick up the latest IP.

Also, if you use DHCP, if you add a new computer that currently has the same IP as a computer that is already in your list once had, the machine won't add. You have to manually delete the IP from that machine's entry. Annoying isn't the word, especially when you have so many machines.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

If that's the case, you may want to find ways to decrease your demand. Where I work, I have my printers set up so that BonJour/Rendevouz, AppleTalk, IPX/SPX & pretty much all other protocols turned off except like IP printing. That saves a bit of bandwidth. I usually set up the printers either manually on each computer or WGM. I also have File Sharing, Printer Sharing, pretty much everything in the Sharing tab in System Prefs turned off except for ARD.

Back on topic, I really hope this fixes the constant crashing problem I've had. I'll admit, the computers & the network could be set up way better, but that's out of my control. :(

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Does this fix screen turn on?

I'm wondering if this fixes the "bug" (or is it a feature?) where an incoming connection to the VNC port causes the screen to turn on in the middle of the night.

This irritated me to no end, not knowing what was causing the screen to turn on in the middle of the night. Then I read in one of the forums here that the screen turns on when any packet hits the listening connection - eg: when some asshole port scans my computer. I tested it, manually telneting to my machine at that port, and sure enough the screen turned on.

It's forced me to turn off Remote Screen sharing unless I know I will need it during the day when I'm away.

I don't see why the screen needs to be on for VNC to work.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I really wish Apple would build some kind of remote-rendering engine that just forwards the GUI drawing commands, just like MS Remote Desktop does, or NoMachine NX.

ARD is just a VNC-style pixel pusher, it's way too slow to use over an ADSL connection with 1mbps upstream.

I don't even think it would be that hard.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Not sure, but if something like ARD (or VNC, etc.) would push your network resources over the edge, I think that you have more problems than remote sessions to be worried about. :D
ARD has been the only performance issue for us. If we ever get the money for it we'll upgrade our networking. In the meantime, we're at the mercy of ARD's bandwidth requirements. Nothing else we use, including web access by students and server-based home directories, gives us trouble.

If that's the case, you may want to find ways to decrease your demand. Where I work, I have my printers set up so that BonJour/Rendevouz, AppleTalk, IPX/SPX & pretty much all other protocols turned off except like IP printing. That saves a bit of bandwidth. I usually set up the printers either manually on each computer or WGM. I also have File Sharing, Printer Sharing, pretty much everything in the Sharing tab in System Prefs turned off except for ARD.
Thanks for the tips. While we hope Apple makes things better for us, it'll be smart to do a little for ourselves too!

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
After upgrading, airport can’t get online to my Time Capsule (Closed network),… anyone else has this issue?

filmweaver

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
I was pretty good before the update, now my connect download and upload speeds are trashed and very very slow sometimes even unresponsive.

Botched update, please fix soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.