• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has removed the 5W Power Adapter from the Apple Watch Edition and Apple Watch Hermès. Both Apple Watch models included the power adapter for just a week before it was removed.

in-the-box-2.jpg

At Apple's "Time Flies" Event on September 25, Apple stated that it would be removing the power adapter from Apple Watch boxes due to environmental concerns. It subsequently came to light that Apple Watch Edition and Apple Watch Hermès models would be the only models to retain the 5W power adapter. All other models shipped without a power adapter from launch.

Apple presumably continued to include the power adapter with these Apple Watches because they are high-end models with prices ranging from $799 to $1499.

in-the-box-1.jpg

Apple's page has not been archived so it is not possible to pinpoint exactly when the change took place, but it seems to have occurred within the past couple of days. Screenshots from the previous web page show that the Series 6 Apple Watch Edition and Apple Watch Hermès did contain a 5W USB power adapter.

MacRumors forum users who purchased an Apple Watch Edition over the past week also recieved a power adapter in the box.

3.jpg

The new page now includes the same message included alongside other Apple Watch models, stating "As part of our effort to meet our environmental goals, Apple Watch does not include a power adapter. Please use your existing power adapter or add a new one before you check out."

It is unclear why the power adapter has suddenly been removed from the high-end Apple Watch models, especially after Apple chose to include them for a short time. The change also seems to have taken place in territories around the world.

Rumors have suggested that the upcoming iPhone 12 models will follow the Apple Watch in not including a power adapter.

Thanks to @MiltonSau.

Article Link: Apple Removes 5W Power Adapter From Apple Watch Edition and Apple Watch Hermes

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I know a lot of people have strong feelings against Apple not including a charger with portable/wearable devices going forward, but how would you feel if you purchased your new (charger-less) iPhone, got to checkout and found that Apple had automatically added one to your basket and charged you for it, and you couldn't delete it, regardless of whether you wanted a charger or not? Because that's effectively what the situation is now - you're paying for a charger whether you want it or not. I don't buy into the argument that this is a stealth price increase by Apple - like all successful retail companies, they are experts in knowing how much consumers will pay for a new model iPhone regardless of what extras are in the box, and pricing their products accordingly.

Comment

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Guess they realized what a PR disaster it was to include it with just the premium models.

That's a possibility.
I'm happy they stopped including the power adapter, I think I have 3 or 4 of them at home still in the box. They said is good for the environment and that's true, but they didn't say is also very good for their profits.
At least they could have given a discount when buying the charger during checkout to show that they don't do mainly for profits.

Comment

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
It said a charger was included when I ordered my Edition last week so there better be one included when it arrives tomorrow.
I agree. I ordered on launch day and am still waiting. Mine better include a charger.

Reactions: OllyW
Comment

Franklin Klein

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2020
Many products haven't included a brick for years now. While I suppose it started from a perspective of "people have one from their cell phone anyway" it's not that surprising that Apple jumped on the bandwagon.

I know it's not just "Richie Rich" who buys the high end models but if anything it would have made more sense to remove it from the more expensive models first since they would notice it less. It's like how more expensive cars nickel and dime for features more than the cheaper ones.

Reactions: tranceking26
Comment

ivantheipodder

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2018
Either don't include it from the get-go and deal with the backlash that the most expensive AW version should include a power brick, or include it. Don't just remove it at any point of the release cycle, let alone one week in. This is gonna be fun, imagine people who just ordered thinking they would get a power brick now potentially getting it without one, at the same price.

Reactions: ModusOperandi
Comment

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
New Mexico
Unboxing videos of the titanium models online show adapters. So I’m sure it’s safe to say it will be included. Going forward, it won’t. But they still need to redesign the tray to eliminate the space for the adapter.

Comment

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
Unboxing videos of the titanium models online show adapters. So I’m sure it’s safe to say it will be included. Going forward, it won’t. But they still need to redesign the tray to eliminate the space for the adapter.
Those in the first week included adapters. Now it’s removed from “what’s in the box” so it’s unclear when the adapter will disappear from the units that are shipping.

Comment

rjp1

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
how would you feel if you purchased your new (charger-less) iPhone, got to checkout and found that Apple had automatically added one to your basket and charged you for it, and you couldn't delete it, regardless of whether you wanted a charger or not? Because that's effectively what the situation is now - you're paying for a charger whether you want it or not.
It would be crappy of them, but at least I'd have the charger!

The current situation is as you describe but with them adding the charger to my basket, charging me for it, and then putting the charger back on the shelf.

Reactions: ModusOperandi
Comment

tribeaumes

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2016
I bought an Apple Watch Edition Series 6 and it included the 5W Power Adapter. I guess I got lucky. Honestly this really bothers me that they are removing it. I really hope they do not do this with the iPhone because sure we may have a good backup supply of 5W chargers but I literally only have one 18W charger that I've lost before. What an annoying situation to be in.

Comment

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
It’s my opinion that they did this because they said they were removing it for environmental reasons. Yet still including the adapter with the more expensive models shows they’re only removing it for financial reasons, it has nothing to do with the environment. I think they caught this and now removed it from all models due to this looking really bad for PR.

Comment

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Many products haven't included a brick for years now. While I suppose it started from a perspective of "people have one from their cell phone anyway" it's not that surprising that Apple jumped on the bandwagon.

Which would be fine if Apple didn’t provide USB-C based chargers for their current iPhones but provide USB-A cables with the Apple Watch.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.