MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fifth beta of tvOS 14.5, and there are some small but notable changes in the update found by MacRumors contributor Steve Moser. Apple is removing mentions of the "Siri Remote" and replacing them with "Apple TV Remote" across the operating system.

apple-tv-box-1.jpg

The Siri Remote has always been the Apple TV Remote in countries where Siri functionality is not available on the Apple TV, but now Apple is using the Apple TV Remote wording in countries where the remote was previously referred to as the Siri Remote.

This could be just a general cleanup of the language because there's no real need to refer to it as the Siri Remote anymore, but it does suggest that the next-generation Apple TV remote will not be called the Siri Remote and will have a simpler name.

Apple is rumored to be working on a new version of the Apple TV that's set to come out this year, and it will be accompanied by a refreshed remote control with Find My capabilities. Little else is known about the remote at this time.

tvOS 14.5 also renames the "Home Button" under the "Remotes and Devices" section to "TV Button," but the functionality is ultimately the same and can be set to go to the Apple TV app or the Home Screen. This too could be a tweak made for a future remote.

tv-button-tvos-14-5-tweaked.jpg

Earlier betas have introduced support for the latest PlayStation and Xbox controllers, plus frame rate options have been tweaked with Apple now offering 29.97Hz and 59.94Hz refresh rates instead of 30Hz/60Hz.

frame-rates-tvos-14-5-tweaked.jpg

There's also an optional "Type to Siri" Accessibility feature that can be enabled, which mirrors the Type to Siri feature on iOS devices, a new option for choosing "Other Wireless Speakers" as the Default Audio Output, and tweaks to the Podcasts app to bring it in line with the changes introduced in iOS 14.5.

Article Link: Apple Removes 'Siri Remote' Mentions in tvOS 14.5 Beta, Changes 'Home' Button Name

Last edited:
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

The_Gream

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2020
I am hoping for hardware update and at least one version that could at least complete with Nintendo in the gaming world. Though, down the road, a PlayStation/Xbox comparable version would be nice - but, I know for that to happen Apple would really need to bring in a lot of bigger game titles. They could do what they are doing with Apple TV+, but gaming hardware is much much more demanding than streaming 4K.

carlhancock

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Just another reason why I think an Apple TV in a soundbar form factor is coming. The "HomePod with a screen for FaceTime" rumors... them likely moving on from the Siri Remote form factor... both issues that could be solved by having a soundbar that incorporates the Apple TV hardware and a camera for using your TV to do FaceTime calls. The Siri functionality would also be handled by the soundbar. Just makes sense.

carlhancock

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
I am hoping for hardware update and at least one version that could at least complete with Nintendo in the gaming world. Though, down the road, a PlayStation/Xbox comparable version would be nice - but, I know for that to happen Apple would really need to bring in a lot of bigger game titles. They could do what they are doing with Apple TV+, but gaming hardware is much much more demanding than streaming 4K.
My guess is a soundbar. A soundbar that incorporates the Apple TV hardware and utilized HDMI ARC would allow it to work as a soundbar with any device connected to your TV while still providing Apple TV functionality. Something pairing the original HomePods with the existing Apple TV 4K could not accomplish. So I'm guessing an Apple TV + HomePod mashup as a soundbar.

Throw in the rumors of the HomePod with a screen for FaceTime... which doesn't sound like a move Apple would make given iPads/iPhones already provide that functionality and likely buyers would already own one/both... and a soundbar that does all of this begins to make a lot more sense.

If I had to guess they will be introducing both a low cost Apple TV and a higher priced version that incorporates a HomePod powered soundbar/Siri/FaceTime.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2015
near Boston, MA
Just another reason why I think an Apple TV in a soundbar form factor is coming. The "HomePod with a screen for FaceTime" rumors... them likely moving on from the Siri Remote form factor... both issues that could be solved by having a soundbar that incorporates the Apple TV hardware and a camera for using your TV to do FaceTime calls. The Siri functionality would also be handled by the soundbar. Just makes sense.
Then what do I do with my current Soundbar if that's the case? I'm happy to take more speakers if they can make them work together.

sublunar

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
Releasing before (or at) WWDC would allow developers a chance to have a look at the hardware and have a chance to write software for it.

Ideally, though, you'd like to imagine that the delay has been to allow for AAA titles to be written/ported in top secrecy to go alongside a launch release.

A Facebook Portal style TV top camera would be another feature of interest, especially in these COVID times.

But either way Apple have to do something soon or they may as well discontinue the current AppleTV - it's highly overpriced for what it does with a divisive remote control.

carlhancock

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Then what do I do with my current Soundbar if that's the case? I'm happy to take more speakers if they can make them work together.

Don't see that happening. The same argument an be made about any new soundbar. Buying is a personal decision. But I could see them making it work with the HomePod Minis as rear surrounds.

While I do think an Apple TV + Soundbar combo makes sense for Apple as it would allow them to sell a premium version of the Apple TV and offer HomePod audio, Siri, FaceTime, etc. via that device. I also think they'll have a non-soundbar version of the Apple TV at a lower price point than the current Apple TV for people that just want the Apple TV hardware and have existing sound systems.

I currently have Sonos Beam sounders. But I'd replace both my Apple TV's and the Beams (or repurpose them elsewhere) if Apple had a solution that did both.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
An updated Apple TV with a new ARM CPU/GPU, increased storage, and audio codec support for local media should be base improvements. I have 200+TB’s of ripped movies on servers with lossless audio tracks in TrueHD, ATMOS, etc that the Apple TV 4K doesn’t fully utilize for local media (Apple is avoiding licensing issues) yet added ATMOS to the HomePod just before discontinuing it 🤷🏼‍♂️. As a developer/beta tester with Infuse Pro and Plex, it’s a sore spot with countless petitions for Apple to add codec support for local/non-streaming media.

Throw in WiFi 6 mesh to make it a full hub and a gaming edition with controllers with Apple Arcade and Steam, etc for gamers. Solid update.

There’s so much Apple could easily do in this market. I’m still perplexed they never added support for the HomePod BT 5.0 chip as anyone who doesn’t have an iPhone could easily stream Apple Music with a non-Apple device via Bluetooth which would build on subscription services. Someone with a clear vision in the audio/video and smart home industry needs to head Apple’s divisions into one and produce a clear outline of products and services for the next 5+ years and make it work.

Last edited:

jml1982

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2015
I just care about a new remote. The Apple TV remote is one of the worst remotes I have ever used. So easy to accidentally fast forward, and each app handles the menu button differently making it so hard to go back to the previous screen. I hope they fix this! Also siri sucks at showing you where you can watch a film. Most of the time it says you can rent it, but then you go into an Hulu, HBO, etc and it's on that platform...

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I guess they removed the Siri name because they finally realise Siri is not something to brag about.

I hope they release new ATV hardware but they could also wait until they figure out what to do in the Smart Home space as their current offering is all over the place. A sound bar is out of the question: they would not have quietly discontinued the HomePod if they had something new lined up.

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I feel like the answer here is boring. The siri remote was named to differentiate from the aluminum one from gen 3. Now that that atv and remote are becoming legacy products, they no longer have to. The next gen remote is likely to have a new form factor as the current one has had...less than stellar reception.

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I don't know why Apple didn't make the Siri Remote have just one button -- to activate Siri and give a command. Maybe they were worried people wouldn't want to give up the familiar play and pause buttons.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.