Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kslingo

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
is it charging developers as of right now? I coulda sworn that I read that it would be free during the beta period...

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
What if I have CDs I haven't ripped yet?

If I have a brand new CD that I haven't ripped yet, is it smart enough to just scan the CD to figure out / match that I own it?

Or do I have to rip it and then have it match it?

Gary

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Anyone else matching a substantially lower percentage of songs than they would expect?

I only matched 700/4000 songs.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
is it charging developers as of right now? I coulda sworn that I read that it would be free during the beta period...

You pay but supposedly your 12 month clock will be recalculated at the end of the beta (so it won't cost you anything) then you get the year you paid for plus a bonus 3 months.

So it's not costing you for the beta, but you're automatically billed for the fist year.

Gary

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

But it doesn't work if no credit xard on file??

I'm not sure, have you tried? I can't, because I'm not a US developer.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If I have a brand new CD that I haven't ripped yet, is it smart enough to just scan the CD to figure out / match that I own it?

Or do I have to rip it and then have it match it?

Gary

You have to import music to your library. If your going to import from a cd make sure you have iTunes set to import in AAC 256Kbps audio. AKA iTunes Plus.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Anyone else matching a substantially lower percentage of songs than they would expect?

When they opened it up for beta the first time they said that not all songs that are in the database will match right away.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
What if you have 500 vinyl albums. Do you first have to transfer them to cassette, digitize those, then submit the files for iTunes Match, or is there a better way to respect the licenses you already own in physical form?

Rocketman

Not only that, but respect the quality of those physical forms?

If hypothetically CDs are the same quality as vinyls, 1411 Kbps is still better than 256 Kbps.

I guess this service is not for quality or respect to licensing, but more about saving storage space on our devices.

Another problem that will bug a lot of users: At work, you don't get phone reception and/or your company uses a proxy that blocks streaming (Mine even blocks Pandora @.@)...

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Not only that, but respect the quality of those physical forms?

If hypothetically CDs are the same quality as CDs, 1411 Kbps is still better than 256 Kbps.

I guess this service is not for quality or respect to licensing, but more about saving storage space on our devices.

Another problem that will bug a lot of users: At work, you don't get phone reception and/or your company uses a proxy that blocks streaming (Mine even blocks Pandora @.@)...

CDs will always be the same quality as CDs :D

Remember, we can't stream to our iOS devices from the cloud.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
CDs will always be the same quality as CDs :D

Remember, we can't stream to our iOS devices from the cloud.

Typo fixed :p

Here's the list of sites blocked:
Netflix
My NAS
YouTube.app (not the mobile site though o.o)
Vimeo
Pandora
Rdio
Any kind of cacheable music service (such as iTunes in the Cloud)
FTP servers
much, much more.

What I think the company is doing is using the proxy as a universal firewall for blocking streaming protocols and certain sites.

I sorta laughed when you said we can't stream stuff to iOS from the cloud.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah I only matched 900 of 6000 songs. I was pretty disappointed as I have a pretty slow connection. Having to upload them all is just as bad as google music.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Typo fixed :p

Here's the list of sites blocked:
Netflix
My NAS
YouTube.app (not the mobile site though o.o)
Vimeo
Pandora
Rdio
Any kind of cacheable music service (such as iTunes in the Cloud)
FTP servers
much, much more.

What I think the company is doing is using the proxy as a universal firewall for blocking streaming protocols and certain sites.

I sorta laughed when you said we can't stream stuff to iOS from the cloud.

hehe, or can we :eek:

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah I only matched 900 of 6000 songs. I was pretty disappointed as I have a pretty slow connection. Having to upload them all is just as bad as google music.

Are they all correctly tagged & are on the iTunes Store?

AC/DC, Kid Rock, and more refused to put their music on iTunes, only selling music through CDs and other sites promoting sales of albums instead of songs. Which means if I sign up for iTunes Music, I'll have to wait like 30 hours uploading 500+ songs in lossless quality to the cloud. Not fun.

hehe, or can we :eek:

Yes, we can...
unless Netflix and Pandora don't count

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Are they all correctly tagged & are on the iTunes Store?

AC/DC, Kid Rock, and more refused to put their music on iTunes, only selling music through CDs and other sites promoting sales of albums instead of songs. Which means if I sign up for iTunes Music, I'll have to wait like 30 hours uploading 500+ songs in lossless quality to the cloud. Not fun.

Yes I am very meticulous about my tags. Its interesting though. on my iPad/iPhone it already shows that all 6795 are there but only the 900 or so can be played. Its cool too that all of the playlists that are in your iTunes library show up on the device.

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I don`t understand what will happen in EUROPE. If we are not getting iTunes Match, we should get unlimited storage to upload music files. If we don`t have at least that option, iCloud sucks (in Europe at least).

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I don`t understand what will happen in EUROPE. If we are not getting iTunes Match, we should get unlimited storage to upload music files. If we don`t have at least that option, iCloud sucks (in Europe at least).

iCloud does kind of suck everywhere but the USA.

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I'm also having the problem that only 700 or so songs out of 4000 got matched and it wanted to upload the other 3,000 or so songs. :eek:

Keep in mind that most of these are in Lossless format too, so that's a **** ton of GBs to upload. Of course, this is a beta so I see that others are having similar problems.

However, another problem that I had was that my Mac Mini was on fire when it was scanning and matching my iTunes library, this thing got ridiculous hot. So I ended up stopping the process when it decided to upload the remaining songs. Did anyone else have this problem and if so, why in the world would that make the Mac Mini overheat so much? Specially since the music files are on an external hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.