Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Apple pays these employees, they are not volunteers lol. I get paid for my job and sometimes it's stressful to the brim. I don't see what's wrong there. Plus I was being polite and asked questions nicely over a chat.

Right, It was a joke. Most of the people are totally cool, but you know, it must be tough.

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically. (joking gets me in trouble again....and again...and again)

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The level of entitlement...

And if you got your order in, then you would have bumped someone else and they would be here making a thread.

Apple should not bump orders of people who complain because then EVERYONE is going to start complaining to get their order bumped and come up with any excuse they can think of.

SaveUsBatman

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
I hate seeing these posts. Those poor front line people despise this time of year because y’all are awful to them.
Seriously... In the last 5 years of pre-ordering, I've only received the iPhone 6s on launch day and I've yet to complain to a customer service rep about it.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I guess I just have bad luck then? Because I did everything I could on my end to ensure the process goes smoothly.
There were probably millions of people bombarding the Apple store app and website. I got in a 12:03 AM; my sister didn't get in until 12:08 AM. We were in the same room, on the same internet connection. The router is in my room as well so the connection would have been excellent. The difference was that I was on my iPad Pro (2017) and she was on her 6s.

The point - getting into the Apple store app / website is sort of a lottery of connections. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. You can prep as much as possible to increase your chances of a smooth experience, but hiccups are expected as well.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seriously... In the last 5 years of pre-ordering, I've only received the iPhone 6s on launch day and I've yet to complain to a customer service rep about it.

Some are never satisfied until they get exactly what they want and how they want it. The world doesn't work the way some believe it should.

Reactions: DaveOP

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Agree with this.

ZERO (or very near zero) people saw anything other than a Nov. 10 - Nov. 17th date when pre-ordering a T-Mobile iPhone X. This was even people (like me) who got in an ordered at 12:03. They most likely had a glitch showing it shipping later. I doubt we were really bumped.
When I was ordering mine I actually saw Nov. 3rd for both delivery and pickup, but I tried checking out via ApplePay 3 times of which didn't work and had to manually input my info. By the time I was done I was bumped to Nov.17.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
It's 2 weeks? With all the talk and rumors of supply constraints I was honestly going to be happy if it showed up on my doorstep mid December.

Reactions: rmeadejr

FrankenBakon

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
ive. worked front line at Apple for more than one launch and the people who complain are the absolute worst. I’ve been physically accosted while on break because I had an Apple shirt on and someone’s phone was delayed, it’s like are you kidding me? I’m a retail employee I have nothing to do with anything but selling you a case

payfields

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Wow, so FURIOUS.
My fiance and I both were refeshing over and over to order phones. I get mine Friday and hers is weeks away. For some reason she got an error towards the end when going through the final steps and had to restart.
She said oh well, at least its here before Christmas, and has not said a word about it since. Definitely not to a customer service rep lol.
She had an error that was clearly an Apple issue, but it's just not that serious. Things happen. Technology is great but it doesn't always go as planned.
Get over it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It all depends on what you ordered and how you paid for it. Most people who are being bumped are the ones that ordered the T-Mobile version and paid IN FULL. I know there are several people who used IUP are being bumped too. My husband got his order through around 3:09EST and was scheduled for Nov. 17-24th, but when he checked yesterday it had been bumped to this Friday. He ordered the 256GB Silver T-Mo iPhone and paid in full.

I got mine in 12:09AM for the same phone and am stuck at Nov 17-24. Sad.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Depends on which way you look at it. My connection was good, I stayed up late, why couldn't I get it? Are you telling me it's sheer luck?

You stayed up late? My wife and I woke up at 2:50am EST and was able to get through the ordering process around 3:15am. Apple does not guarantee you will be able to order the phone at exactly 12am PST. Also, you realize there are millions of people who waited longer than you. That said would you be okay if they got in front of you in line? Get over it. That's life.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ha. Ha. Apple phone reps are monkeys in a barrel. All they know is the script in front of their faces. What happens at the factory shipping dock they have no clue, so of course they will say that.

But past that -- don't be a whiny baby. Most of us could not get in until shipping times slipped to 11/17. So Apple did treat you fairly. Sounds like you want priority over the rest of us. Many of us you got the 11/17 date and were unsatisfied went directly to our cellco's site and were able to get a launch unit.

But even if that wasn't the case with you wowee kapowee -- it's two more weeks. Honestly, in 60 years when you are on your death bed this is not an event that will be part of your life flashback. Take a chill pill man.

rkoshack

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I guess I just have bad luck then? Because I did everything I could on my end to ensure the process goes smoothly.

That’s just it. I’m in the 2-3 week shipping time and there was nothing else I could’ve done to get it earlier. Had everything set up so that I could checkout within 10 seconds once the store was up. I was force closing and reopening the app like crazy starting st 11:59 and the store wasn’t up on the app for me until about 12:07-12:08. I had my model and color already favourited and Apple Pay set up so my checkout time was about 10 seconds.

I’ve accepted it was just bad luck of server roulette for me. I’d be more upset if it was something I did wrong on my end

Reactions: HiItsMe

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003

We hear you, everything you had control over you did right but you need to not sweat what you don’t have control over (your ping time, which server you were directed). We’re lucky that bots don’t invade our space like tickets and sneakers.... then none of us who never have a chance.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Essentially, yes. More people trying to get in to the servers/access databases/etc than the system can support for those first few minutes, so, some people will get in first, some won't, and it's really just luck of the draw when your collection of packets happen to hit the servers.

Some of use were lucky (and I do count myself among them), others not so.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

My past years experiences were, loading the PC with the apple store site, Apple Store app on ipad and Apple store app on iphone. Refresh refresh refresh. Some years it worked some years I was screwed! I've gotten in as much as 5 minutes in and then had my card declined because of fraud detection! luckily after I fixed the payment method, Apple CS put me back in the queue that year.

This year I just used my iPhone since i was in IUP, and it specifically said to come back to the phone. I was done by 12:02, and received confirmation email at that exact time stamp here. Not bragging but that's what happened. I made sure my router and modem were unplugged and replugged to make sure the pings were at their fastest. I also have 300mb service.

So it is just luck I believe, I know that the store app on the ipad didn't come on till much after for me, while I was looking for the confirmation of my order on the app. So that way sucked this year.

bouldermac

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I guess I've been 'bumped'. I ordered Verizon, Silver, 64 GB, a few minutes after preorder started. At order was told ships in 1-2 weeks. Delivers: Nov 10- Nov 17 by Standard shipping.

I checked again yesterday and it is now saying 'Delivers 03 Nov, 2017 by Standard shipping'

no complaints here!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I have not (except this one) been able to get a pre order launch day phone in years. I'm not blaming anyone, having a temper tantrum, blowing up my lego buildings or worse . . . because it was just the "luck of the draw". Instead I feel grateful and lucky that I was able to get in this one time. If I hadn't . . . well like the previous years "launch dayless" (yes, I made up that word) life goes one. . . End of story :)
[doublepost=1509482105][/doublepost]
ive. worked front line at Apple for more than one launch and the people who complain are the absolute worst. I’ve been physically accosted while on break because I had an Apple shirt on and someone’s phone was delayed, it’s like are you kidding me? I’m a retail employee I have nothing to do with anything but selling you a case

Sorry for the bad behavior exhibited by others. For what its worth I appreciate the job you do behind the front lines.

Reactions: dolphin2421

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I think I understand what might be the issue.

When the OP is in a chat with a rep, that rep may not have the authority, or even the ability, to “manually bump” someone’s order ahead of the automatically distributed date.

I think what the OP sees happening is Apple’s automated system updating shipping estimates as more phones are put into the iPhone ecosystem from the factory(ies) in China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.