Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpk32092

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2008
Boston
I was told this too a few days ago. I went through the process as if I was ordering a 3GS, and it went fine. I did notice though that if you wanted to create a new family plan line, it redirects you to create an in store appointment.

Hopefully this is not true for existing family plan lines. :confused:

lastfirstlast

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Problem with ordering if family plan

I was told the same thing. If you have family plan, can't order. But, if single plan can. Makes no sense.

Clusty

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
I spoke with a rep on Apple Chat earlier because I noticed the voice cost was wrong with I tried test-order a 3GS(I'm on a family plan so my voice is only $9.99, it was showing $40 or something like that). He said I should be able to order, but that it will show the wrong cost because I was using the primary account holder's SS#.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Total BS. Wouldn't make sense for them to cut off family plan members if they want to push FaceTime. The whole Sam Mendes directed video was about families using FaceTime.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
For all the people that think this is not true, pick up your phone, call apple and ask. Then come back to this thread and tell us how wrong your posts were earlier in the thread.

Don't take my word for it.

CALL APPLE

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
For all the people that think this is not true, pick up your phone, call apple and ask. Then come back to this thread and tell us how wrong your posts were earlier in the thread.

CALL APPLE

Have you ever thought the guy you were talking to was, um, wrong?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

CALL APPLE

We're not accusing you of lying, we just happen to know with pretty good certainty that this isn't the case. I ordered my 3GS last year from Apple when I was on a family plan. There shouldn't be a problem. I bet you the Apple reps are assuming you're a non-primary line and aren't authorized to make changes.

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
How about we just wait 12 hours and see how stupid you and the Apple rep are for this BS post.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
Have you ever thought the guy you were talking to was, um, wrong?

If he was an AT&T employee, yeah I would question him, but this was an apple rep who had training on this. I tend to believe him and the other people on this thread that have said they were told the same thing. Again call and ask for yourself.

All I am trying to do is spread the word.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
How about we just wait 12 hours and see how stupid you and the Apple rep are for this BS post.

What info do you have that will support that we are wrong. If you know something we don't about the iPhone 4 pre-order please fill us in, oh and while your at it e-mail Steve and call apple to let them know how the training they received was wrong.

Clusty

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
If he was an AT&T employee, yeah I would question him, but this was an apple rep who had training on this. I tend to believe him and the other people on this thread that have said they were told the same thing. Again call and ask for yourself.

What info do you have that will support that we are wrong. If you know something we don't about the iPhone 4 pre-order please fill us in, oh and while your at it e-mail Steve and call apple to let them know how the training they received was wrong.

Calm down. Nobody is accusing you of being wrong, we are just saying the Apple rep was probably confused about your situation. He probably thought you were not authorized to make changes or something like that.

iadam09

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
How does this make any sense... AT&T's CEO recently said that 70% of its customers are on a family plan. That would be a total fail and 40% are on corporate discount plans.

If this is the case (which I highly doubt) I will be doing an in-store pick up.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I was told the same thing when I used the apple chat earlier in the day.. if this is the case then **** them for making things 100x harder on customers.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

Just read my post.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I was told this too a few days ago. I went through the process as if I was ordering a 3GS, and it went fine. I did notice though that if you wanted to create a new family plan line, it redirects you to create an in store appointment.

Hopefully this is not true for existing family plan lines. :confused:

Currently, on the Apple Online store, if you want to pre-order an add-a-line to a FamilyTalk plan, you will be redirected to the "Make a reservation" Page.. The message also explains this very fact.

Make a reservation.

Visit the Apple Retail Store to add a line.

If you’d like to add an additional line to your account, please visit your nearest Apple Retail Store where you can complete your pre-authorization.

source:

Why can't people read.....

Dave

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
Currently, on the Apple Online store, if you want to pre-order an add-a-line to a FamilyTalk plan, you will be redirected to the "Make a reservation" Page.. The message also explains this very fact.

Make a reservation.

Visit the Apple Retail Store to add a line.

If you’d like to add an additional line to your account, please visit your nearest Apple Retail Store where you can complete your pre-authorization.

source:

Why can't people read.....

Dave

ok but that's for adding a new line.. what about existing lines on existing family plans?

Has anyone tried contacting ATT about doing preorders with a family plan? might have to go with them if they really go through with what we are being told

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I upgraded my line on a family plan last year through an Apple preorder just fine. I don't see why it would change without them letting us know.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Highly doubtful. People are FREAKING out left and right over the dumbest $h!t with preordering this phone. 3GS preorders last year seem to have gone much more...calmly..

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
Dave, I am upgrading not adding, where did you read we were talking about adding a line to a family plan.

Sometimes it's not even worth trying to help people and inform them upfront with a post. All the people who think that what I have said is BS, you are only saying it's BS because it's not what you wanna hear.

Clusty

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
ok but that's for adding a new line.. what about existing lines on existing family plans?

Has anyone tried contacting ATT about doing preorders with a family plan? might have to go with them if they really go through with what we are being told

I tried earlier to do a 3GS pre-order just to see how things would go. I put in my phone number, the billing zip code, and the primary account holder's SS#. It showed the upgrade pricing and everything else was correct except for the price of the voice plan. I pay $9.99 for voice since I am an add-on to the family plan, but Apple.com said I pay something like $40. I spoke with an Apple rep via the Live Chat and he said that I would be able to order, but the website would display the wrong price because I entered the primary account holder's SS#.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
Highly doubtful. People are FREAKING out left and right over the dumbest $h!t with preordering this phone. 3GS preorders last year seem to have gone much more...calmly..

probably because the preorders happened right after the keynote last year.. this time around people have a whole week to worry about details.. it doesn't help that apple and at&t employees have no clue as to what is going on and tell people conflicting answers.

malbright

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
During the course of three separate calls, I was told by three different Apple reps that online preorders will be limited to one phone per family plan. I still find this hard to fathom, but that's what they told me. If that's the case, and I can't believe it is, I'll try ordering one from Apple and one from ATT, which might be a workaround.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear there would be rationing ... which is why I called three times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.