Apple replaced my iphone 5 running iOS 7!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by tmanto02, Aug 10, 2013.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I just wanted to share my awesome experience today! My iPhone 5 running ios 7 suddenly stopped charging - the lightning port didn't work what so ever. That meant that I couldnt restore my iPhone back to iOS 6 before going to the Apple store.

Luckily the very friendly people in my local Apple store replaced my phone no questions asked! They assured me that even though I was running an unreleased OS that because it appeared to be a hardware issue it was not a problem replacing it.

Just wanted to share my good news with you all as I remember reading about people worried about warranty claims running ios7 beta. :):)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think the Genius or Apple assumed you are a registered developer. At any point, I think the last time betas were around, Apple Stores weren't taking in devices with a beta in them. Perhaps you got lucky.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

They're pretty cool here in Tokyo, too. I've had numerous iDevices replaced while jailbroken and while using beta iOS releases in the past; as long as the problem is obviously with the hardware, they've always taken care of it!

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

even if they refused, you coulda just let the battery die before taking it in

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Have you heard any stories of anyone getting rejected from getting a phone replaced with IOS7 on it?

6. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Geniuses are amazing! I had my iPhone replaced due to a software problem on iOS 6 (which is rare). Probably due to running iOS 7...idk. I didnt get iOS 7 installed on there though since I didn't want to risk it again. But yeah the Geniuses at Apple are great! Say what you might about Apple, you cant deny they have great customer service. :D:D:D

----------

If there are stories about that. Its false...cause I had my iPhone replaced and the Genius was well aware that I ran iOS 7 and I still got it replaced.

7. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I got my iPhone 3GS replaced last year running iOS6 Beta 4.
    Battery & Headphone jack issues, though it was still usable.
    It wouldn't register on their software, so he just deemed it not working, and sent it away!

8. ihonda macrumors 68000

got denied an exchange even tho phone was overheating right infront of them.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Overheating could be software related as we've seen with previous betas of iOS 7.

10. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I haven't ever had beta software on my phone, but Apple's customer service has always been beyond excellent in my experience.

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

12. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I had iOS 6 beta on my iPhone 4s obviously back when iOS 6 was still in beta and they replaced my phone with a broken screen no questions asked.

13. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I had my phone rejected from KOP Apple store, so the stories are not false. Half of my screen stopped working. Genius bar looked at the phone and said we are not allowed to work on it while you have IOS7, even though I'm a developer.

I had to use iCloud to remote wipe the phone, since find my iPhone was on and I had no way turn it off. Then I had to find a copy of 6.1.4 to download (it didn't exist on the dev site) then go back to the store. They replaced the screen...

14. Jab00 macrumors regular

When I called Apple about a month back with a similar problem (i5 with charger issues) I was told that even though it was clearly a hardware problem because my phone was running iOS 7 they wouldn't touch it. So I just spent an hour (trying to get the cable to register with the phone) putting iOS 6 back on and then called them back without any problem! But yes the stories of Apple rejecting people are true.

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't see how they have any grounds to refuse a replacement under the warranty because you're using a beta OS.

There's nothing in the warranty that states that would be excluded.

16. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

If an issue is hardware related (sleep wake button comes to mind), even if the unit is running iOS 7, the unit is eligible to be swapped by Apple.

17. Jab00 macrumors regular

They claim its due to the not knowing if the issue is caused by the beta software or not (Yes this is their claim for most hardware issues as well). If it is the fault of the software then it is technically your fault as you assumed the risk of installing said beta software. In my eyes despite how much I dislike it their policy makes a lot of sense.

18. Mad4clay macrumors regular

19. TC03 macrumors 65816

I think it's pretty stupid not to put iOS 6 on it before going to the Apple Store. Why would you take the risk? Seems stupid to me.

20. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Not really, I myself had my iphone 5 replaced due to a hardware issue at an apple store today. The genius looked at my phone and started talking to me about ios 7. So no, I don't really understand why you think it's stupid to take an iphone with faulty hardware to get replaced. Because even though the software is not supported, when the problem can be diagnosed as hardware-related, the software is irrelevant. And I'm glad you're not an Apple genius because you don't seem to have that figured out.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Great customer service is one of the reasons Apple makes so much money, and also why people feel connected to the company.

On my part, I walked in to the Apple Store at Tyson's Corner (VA) because I needed to make a DVD movie of a slide show for my father's funeral (the funeral home did not have a PowerPoint compatible projector). I had never done this before and was clueless, but I figured there must be a way. Despite my distressed emotional state, despite not having an appointment with a genius, the staff got me a quick tutorial. Within 5 minutes of entering the store, my problem was solved. Everything worked as they said without a glitch. Not many companies are that responsive to consumer needs. Long may it last....

22. shortcrust macrumors 6502

But would that have been an 'awesome experience'?

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Eligible or not, Apple's actual policy says they won't do it with non-official public software. The fact that some employees might not follow the set policies exactly all the time is something that happens in practically any industry a lot of times, but that doesn't mean you can really expect that (maybe hope for it at best, but that's about it).

24. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

I've seen the official Apple Policy on replacing hardware with iOS 7 installed and as long as the issue is hardware related, the unit is eligible for replacement.

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

Don't be so quick to assume and take my post out of context.

This thread is about how Apple replaced a phone with iOS 7 installed as though that was some kind of exceptional customer service. To which my response was Apple has so much money they don't care.

It's well documented that Apple has replaced phones that don't even qualify for warranty replacement. It's not because they love their customers it's because they're clever.

They charge huge markups up front for their products, resulting in massive profits, then on the other end: Customer Service: it's easy to make themselves look good.

People fall for the warm & fuzzy thought that Apple loves them and become part of the worshippers that actuality believe that Apple can do no wrong and they're only being kind. See how Apple sucks them in...

When the reality is Apple is a hard edged, super aggressive, balls to the wall, sue anyone who dares to cross them, company. Is that bad? You decide.

I'm of the mind that's its just business Apple style.