Apple Reportedly Advised Technicians to Push iPhone Upgrades to Customers With Out-of-Warranty Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Wrong.. iPhone starts at US$ 249, it's called iPhone SE and Apple sells them in a quick succession.

But then again I'm talking iPhone with A12 chip inside so that it qualifies as NEW iPhone, not an old iPhone repackaged as 2018 products. It's pretty obvious though.

2. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Um, 4 year old phone with outdated hardware versus newER phone.

Who said they have to spend 800-1000??
    They can still get a good deal on a 7-8 series too.

3. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

It’s not miscommunication when there are two different metrics. In stores, Apple’s metric for batteries was capacity. In the software, Apple’s metric for batteries was voltage stability. Apple’s software was degrading performance due to a battery problem while, at the exact same time, Apple
    Stores were stating the battery was operating normally. That is dishonesty.

4. PhoenixFireless macrumors newbie

I think it all depends on how they push upgrades.

if they suggest if might be better to buy a new phone than invest in high repair cost in old tech...then they deserve some praise. If however they push sales to inflate the numbers...then **** 'm

Overal I'm of the opinion: if your 6s or lower dies or breaks, buy a new device because ios updates aren't supported on those devices for much longer.

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It sounds like the left hand wasn't talking to the right hand. But okay, call it what you want. Sugarcoating or hyperbole to the extreme won't change there was an issue. Dishonesty implies malicious intent. I don't buy that.

6. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Let me see, a 5SE with the specs of the X. We’ll call that model 5SEX. That would be ok.

7. drinkingtea Suspended

drinkingtea

8. LordVic macrumors 601

going to pose a question to make you think about this.

Would you be willing today to pay the exact same price for that 1080p TV as you did when you bought it, what? 5 years ago?

Nobody is saying that the display on the Xr is "Crap"... at least I hope not.

what people are saying is that in 2019, the price point that is being assigned for the device with it is too high. at the price point, a 1080p display would have cost Apple a few pennies difference overall.

I do agree, it doesn't need the higher resolution screen. it just need a $200 price cut.

9. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I guess? Look I understand the technology but to people that don’t I think they already feel like well they have
    My fingerprint now they want my face. I know neither of these are true but I believe there is some public perception behind that

10. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Yeah, we get ripped off here in Canada compared to some other countries. It's crazy.

11. I7guy, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Basically a straw-man, but I'll bite. Would you be willing to pay the same price today as the 1080 TV you bought 5 years ago if it had an LTE chip, am/fm tuner, 13/2 dolby decoder, tons of apps, built in blu-ray, ran windows so that high-end games couid be run as good as a windows desktop, etc.

To me at least, the screen has to be good enough. The xr screen is good enough and for apple it's in the ballpark.

12. koodydee1 macrumors newbie

I worked for Apple for 9 years, this is not new information nor a new process. They have ALWAYS tried to offer this over repairs

13. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Isn't that basically what Apple were expecting people to do with the Mac Mini?
    No updates for 4 years and same price.

14. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Anecdotal experience - I was at the Apple store looking at the Apple Watches and mentioned a desire to upgrade in passing to the Apple genius. He actually recommended that I not get the cellular version because his experience was that most customers not use the feature enough to merit the extra expenditure.

Sure doesn’t seem like a case of upselling to me.

15. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Just an FYI... White collar employees—especially upper managers—are given the opportunity to resign when they are fired. This saves face for the employee, and lessens the chance of a wrongful termination claim later. Only if the employee refuses to resign, will the company fire him. It’s entirely possible she was encouraged to quit.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

No harm in offering, then the customer can decide what is best for them.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Saturated market yes and above Norma pricing for new models doesn’t really help Apple. Wow factor for smartphones is still there its just Apple isn’t big on pushing out wow features. Camera quality from a 7 is still very good out of the box vs the X/XS/XR then there are apps to really help improve pics or features you can do with pics. IG, Snap and other social media filters is all the rage amongst women (who use the selfie cam more than men) so there isn’t much wow to get huge upgrades. Where in/out of the days where the latest is the status quo and shows your importance or net worth amongst your people.

Like Angela, Lisa Jackson maybe out of a job soon with statements like hers conflicting with the bottom line.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    I missed out on such plans.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Apple only backpedaled with their BS position on phone longevity because they got caught in the cpu throttling debacle.

19. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Customer: "Hi, I want to buy an iphone cable..."

Apple Genius: "Okay... you are doing it wrong. You NEED a brand new iphone with that!

20. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

I tend to agree that it was more likely that one group wasn’t talking to another group. However, that doesn’t change the fact that it was dishonest: telling a customer nothing is wrong when something is wrong is not true. In this case, it is dishonesty by omission (i.e., two groups in the same company failing to talk).

21. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Yeah uhhh no. Apple has never been THIS aggressive when it comes to selling iPhones. This is the first time that they’ve put new phones on display at Genius Bar tables. First time they have provided much higher trade in values as part of a “limited time promo” and first time they have required their business teams to call companies and see if they want to lease/buy multiple iPhones over other products.

This IS new. Anyone who says otherwise has not been following Apple Retail.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    Huh? Who said they’re trying to push Watch upgrades?! Lmao. This is about iPhone and they ARE trying to push more iPhone sales. It is a fact.

Angela’s latest slogan is literally “All in on iPhone”.

You guys can’t be this naive. Come on...

22. pika2000 macrumors 601

During my experience in getting my old iPhones (5, 6 Plus, and 6S) into service, I never once had any genius employee offer me to upgrade. In fact, so far whenever I am buying stuff from Apple stores, I don’t sense any pushing to purchase anything extra, not even Apple Care. In fact, when I wanted to buy a Nike band for my Apple Watch, the Apple sales person discouraged me. It’s definitely not a Bestbuy or any other big retailers.

23. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Apple trying to bring more attention to their trade in programs can hardly be called upselling.

This is nothing more than news outlets making a mountain out of a molehill for the sake of creating outrage and driving views and clicks. And they have you all eating out of their hands.

24. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

Boy are you naive.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:31 AM ---
    Try cancelling a lawn service!

25. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I don't see how an out of warranty device cannot be upgraded. You can turn an old device in for a credit on a new one. If they can't fix whatever issue because it is out of warranty, I don't see a problem with pushing a new device as an option, as long as you are giving the customer options.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:20 AM ---
    It just depends on the situation and the customer. I don't see an issue with pushing an upgrade as an option for the customer, as long as it is presented as a choice and not a mandate.