Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has asked its suppliers to develop "bezelless" OLED display panels for future iPhone models, The Elec reports.

unbox-therapy-15-pro-max-bezels.jpg
iPhone 15 Pro Max dummy model with thinner bezels compared to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, via Unbox Therapy.

Apple apparently asked Samsung and LG Display to develop the new OLED display panels, intending to implement them while maintaining the iPhone's current design, in contrast to the curved displays that some smartphone brands with ultra-slim bezels offer. Apple is reportedly reluctant to implement a display that curves over the side of the iPhone due to concerns about optical distortion and durability.

Apple purportedly wants the bezelless displays to facilitate improved thin film encapsulation (TFE) and under-panel camera (UPC) technology, as well as increase space for components like antennas while reducing interference. Retaining a design with a flat display reportedly enables these improvements, where they would otherwise currently be impossible with a curved display.

Overall, this suggests that Apple is currently planning to offer the bezelless OLED display as soon as the iPhone 17 Pro in 2025, since this device is rumored to be the first to feature under-display Face ID technology, sitting alongside a hole-shaped cutout for the front-facing camera. Likewise, Apple is likely targeting a release date sometime before its own custom microLED display technology makes its way to the iPhone. Apple's first device with a custom microLED display is expected to be the 2025 Apple Watch Ultra, with various reports suggesting that the iPhone will be soon to follow in subsequent years.

Apple plans to reduce the iPhone's bezel over time until there is no bezel at all upon utilizing the next-generation OLED panels from Samsung and LG. This year's iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max models are expected to have the thinnest bezels of any smartphone to date at just 1.55mm.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Asks Suppliers for 'Bezelless' OLED iPhone Displays

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
The thinner the bezels are, the larger the radius of the rounded corners is and I hate those rounded corners. Rounded corners mean that there are pixels missing in a lot of rows and columns.

There does not seem to be a real reason for thin bezels except showing that it is technically possible to make bezels very thin.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
we already knew and feel the thin madness where it went for the ipads bend and iphones battery life and macs thermal nighmare...
now bezeless will show the pixels covering and the nightmare from the usability stand point
Dont know this will become true...the iphone 15 pro will have the limitation regarding this...

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Usually I hate bezels but the one on my 12 Pro Max doesn't bother me at all. I know newer iPhones have or will have smaller bezels which is fine. I welcome any reduction but it's not something I am really looking for.

The notch doesn't bother me but I'd rather Apple try get rid of the display island so we can have a full screen phone with no visible camera or sensors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.