Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I believe their point was that those things aren't that expensive for Apple to purchase in 2024 are standard features in other cheaper brands. By 2026 it'll all be old news...

Plus, the maxed out 6 version is already $800.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022

There's a super cheap tablet with 120hz. Not a fancy feature in 2024.

Here's a list of tablets that already have OLED (and it's not even including a bunch of China only models):

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024

There's a super cheap tablet with 120hz. Not a fancy feature in 2024.

Here's a list of tablets that already have OLED (and it's not even including a bunch of China only models):
There are no tablets with OLED, Face ID, or Pro Motion outside of Apple, and the ones that have a pretend version of 1 or 2 of those features are expensive. Way too expensive for anything running Android.

120 Hz display =/= ProMotion. It's a battery waster, on a device that is too janky to even take advantage of the 120 fps. Reality is a lot different than what specs on paper say.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There are no tablets with OLED, Face ID, or Pro Motion outside of Apple, and the ones that have a pretend version of 1 or 2 of those features are expensive. Way too expensive for anything running Android.

120 Hz display =/= ProMotion. It's a battery waster, on a device that is too janky to even take advantage of the 120 fps. Reality is a lot different than what specs on paper say.
I still don't get when alleged technology enthusiasts conflate 120hz with *dynamically adjusting the framerate for what's being presented and/or the accessories being used* (ProMotion).

Makes me think people with this understanding are simply gamers who don’t view technology outside that lens.

Last edited:

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
I still don't where allegedly technology enthusiasts conflate 120hz with *dynamically adjusting the framerate for what's being presented and/or the accessories being used* (ProMotion).

Makes me think people with this understanding are simply gamers who don’t view technology outside that lens.
They see the numbers 120 and think it must be exactly the same feature, and exactly the same experience, and exactly the same overall display quality. From 3 numbers.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Just please still release an iPad mini 7 THIS YEAR with jelly scroll fixed (and a brighter display if that’s possible).

I will insta buy an OLED iPad mini (provided it actually comes with a brighter screen). But I don’t want to wait until 2026 for a new mini.
All indications are that the iPad mini 7 is still on track for a release in September. To be honest, I think Apple won’t release the 8th generation iPad mini until 2027. Maybe by waiting that long, they can give it ProMotion. At least that’s the hope.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Could do without FaceID, as Touch is fast and simple and works while reading in the dark, but OLED, 120Hz and a very thin and light form factor would be really great.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Oh my, calling it "Pro Motion" does not make it Pro feature. Much cheaper devices already have high frequency display in 2024, not having it in 2026 or 2027 would be absolutely ridiculous from Apple. Should be a default standard.
But those cheaper devices have android. Having iPad OS makes it pro and the eco system justify a the premium price.🤑

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
That's a long time to wait for a new mini! I was hoping for later this year or early next year.
Well, you know, Apple putting an OLED display on something is much like rocket science, except for the fact literally everyone else has already had OLED in their tablets and laptops for years.

• Angry

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
But those cheaper devices have android. Having iPad OS makes it pro and the eco system justify a the premium price.🤑
I hope this is a joke. High refresh rate screens on tablets and laptops are a dime-a-dozen now, except in AppleLand where it takes 3 years to slap an OLED panel on an iPad Mini. And I won't even bring up the fact that ProMotion is half-baked and not all apps even support it (even Safari doesn't without digging deep in settings to make it work).

• Disagree

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I know it’ll never happen as Apple would consider it too compromised, and I’m sure many would agree, but I’d love a dinky little Magic Keyboard Mini to go with it.
This used to be me until I used the MKB with the 11” iPad Pro. Even that I find a little too small. So I’d rather just carry one of those mini Logtiech k380 keyboards with the iPad. I know it’s not foldable or anything but it’s much more comfortable than typing on a cramped keyboard.

Reactions: tuckerjj

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This used to be me until I used the MKB with the 11” iPad Pro. Even that I find a little too small. So I’d rather just carry one of those mini Logtiech k380 keyboards with the iPad. I know it’s not foldable or anything but it’s much more comfortable than typing on a cramped keyboard.
I have the Logitech K380. The key spacings of the K380 and the 11" Magic Keyboard are exactly the same, at 18.0 mm.

Or at least the old 11" MK is 18.0 mm. After inspecting it next to the other models in the store, I believe the new 2024 11" MK is also 18.0 mm, but I didn't have a ruler handy to measure exactly. The key spacing for the 13" MK and for all the Macs is 19.0 mm. According to usual ergonomic guidelines, recommend key spacing is from 18 to 19 mm. Once you go below 18 mm (or according to some, below 17.8 mm), it can negatively affect typing speed, and it can cause additional strain.

The 9.7" iPad Pro's Smart Keyboard has a key spacing of 17.5 mm, and that one truly feels a bit cramped IMO.

Reactions: Quackington

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I still don't where allegedly technology enthusiasts conflate 120hz with *dynamically adjusting the framerate for what's being presented and/or the accessories being used* (ProMotion).

Well, the people that want ProMotion don't want it for the 16, 20, or 80Hz refresh rates. I'm sure those are nice, if not overly useful, but the main reason people want it is because it goes up to 120Hz. All animations are smoother at that rate, not just games.

Variable refresh rate and high refresh rate are not mutually inclusive. See the Apple Watch for a display that ratchets between 1Hz and 60Hz. Variable, but not high, refresh rate.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I just hope Apple updates the iPad mini with promotion this year. It’s been 3 years since the mini was updated. If they wait until 2026, it will be 5 years. That’s crazy.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Makes sense. The price of these things isn't really lowering and you can get instant garbage Androids tablets the same size for like $20 online. All iPads are premium products and they should all, eventually, get premium displays.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I just hope Apple updates the iPad mini with promotion this year. It’s been 3 years since the mini was updated. If they wait until 2026, it will be 5 years. That’s crazy.
Tim is crazy like a fox when it comes to stretching out the rollout of ProMotion. I guess once the 17 gets it (?) next year, the mini will be next in line to be graced with ProMotion in 2026.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Oh my, calling it "Pro Motion" does not make it Pro feature. Much cheaper devices already have high frequency display in 2024, not having it in 2026 or 2027 would be absolutely ridiculous from Apple. Should be a default standard.
ProMotion is not 120Hz. It is a variable refresh rate, not a fixed one. There are very few cheap devices, if any, on the market that have variable refresh rates. In the case of the iPhone Pro models, it goes from 10Hz to 120Hz but has a special 1Hz mode. That 1Hz is why there is an always-on display. In the case of the new iPads, it’s 10Hz to 120Hz without a 1Hz mode, not sufficient for an AOD.

Apple has never produced a 120Hz only display and they may never do that, so there is no real comparison to those cheap devices with high frequencies. This will apply to the iPad mini and the iPad Air. If they can’t produce an inexpensive enough panel to have a variable refresh rate, they won’t do it at all and will leave it at 60Hz.

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
I just got a used mini with 256gb, folio and pencil for 450 quid and loving the hell out of it.
Ready to upgrade in 2026 😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.