Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly in talks with singer Mariah Carey to make a 2021 follow-up to her "Magical Christmas Special," which premiered on Apple TV+ earlier this month.

mariahcarey.jpg

According to The Sun, the festive show cost £4 million ($5.4 million) and went to number one in Apple's charts in over 100 countries, and was such a "runaway hit" that Apple executives now want to secure her for another special show next Christmas, but this time with an "unlimited" budget.
"No one could have predicted its success and it went to No1 in their charts in over 100 countries," an insider told the British paper. "Bosses at Apple now want to secure her for another special show next year. Mariah's team are, of course, completely behind it and everyone is going to do what they can to make it happen.

"They spent over £4million on this year's show but next year this could go even higher. Apple know the worth of Mariah and are willing to splash the cash to make a follow-up even bigger and better."
"Mariah Carey's Magical Christmas Special" aired on Apple TV+ just after the 25th anniversary of Carey's iconic holiday hit "All I Want for Christmas is You." The show combines music, dancing, and animation to create a "universally heartwarming story" that's supposed to bring the world together.

Carey served as an executive producer on the special along with production company Done + Dusted, best known for "The Disney Family Singalong" and "The Little Mermaid Live."

Article Link: Apple Reportedly in Talks With Mariah Carey to Make 'Magical Christmas Special' Follow-Up

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
I’m not surprised Apple wants to make another one. This special gave AppleTV+ the mass awareness it desperately needed. This appealed to Mariah fans as well as people who wanted something fun to watch that’s Christmas themed (a very popular time of year) for the family.

Tying in with the album on iTunes Store and Apple Music, her interview on The Oprah Conversation and her book on Apple Books, this was great cross-promotion for Apple’s services and makes business sense to continue doing this.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and MrFootery

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Brilliant marketing.

'Mum, Dad, can I watch the Mariah Carey Christmas special?'

Boom. Signup - or you're the Grinch.

Not sure what age you are, but do you really think there are millions on young people into the latest hits/trends on the media platforms to be begging mum and day to be able to watch a really old 50 year old Granny sing ?
Jesus, even when I was at the start of my teens, anyone 50 was so old and out of touch no-one cared.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Not sure what age you are, but do you really think there are millions on young people into the latest hits/trends on the media platforms to be begging mum and day to be able to watch a really old 50 year old Granny sing ?
Jesus, even when I was at the start of my teens, anyone 50 was so old and out of touch no-one cared.
35. I'm a marketer, but for B2B software - not kids or TV.

I could be totally out-of-touch regarding the media consumption preferences of young people.

I don't have Tik Tok, so that's a massive black mark for me!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
35. I'm a marketer, but for B2B software - not kids or TV.

I could be totally out-of-touch regarding the media consumption preferences of young people.

I don't have Tik Tok, so that's a massive black mark for me!

Fair enough :)
I'd fully accept child blackmail when it comes to Baby Yoda and Disney+ Subscription.
But a pre/early teen begging parents to hear a 50 year old grandma sing, seemed a bit of a stretch from my understanding of youth culture as I'm guessing their are even less tolerant of thinking such old people had any relevance to them than I did (which is a while ago!) LOL ;)

Now a middle aged Dad drooling over her I can understand more ;)

Reactions: alexjholland

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Fair enough :)
I'd fully accept child blackmail when it comes to Baby Yoda and Disney+ Subscription.
But a pre/early teen begging parents to hear a 50 year old grandma sing, seemed a bit of a stretch from my understanding of youth culture as I'm guessing their are even less tolerant of thinking such old people had any relevance to them than I did (which is a while ago!) LOL ;)

Now a middle aged Dad drooling over her I can understand more ;)
I suspect most young people don't have a precocious interest in bedding older women like I did.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
My wife and I couldn’t stand to watch the full show, and add it to the list as one of the worst ”holiday” variety shows I’ve seen. I wonder whether the interest in the show was simply driven by people wanting more holiday related musical shows, which I know is true for me and my wife. I re-watched A Very Murray Christmas again this year and really like how they put it together. Would rather see / hear more of Bill Murray and friends singing and dancing.

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
I wouldn’t pay much attention to a story in The Sun as they have a history of making up stories.
Sort of like "It went to number one on the charts in 100 countries!"

Nobody is questioning how a show on a service that does not release viewership numbers went to "number one on the charts" in a single country let alone 100?

Where are these magic charts?

Y'all are just reposting a garbage native ad that someone on the MC team planted in The Sun.

DanTSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
The real gem is that animated version they show on Netflix though....😝

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Her Christmas song is a classic but I'd prefer if Apple made a music-focussed Christmas special with a different artist. And made it classy.

My opinion on this was that it was surprisingly low-quality for an Apple commission. It stands out, not in a good way, because of that.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2018
It was absolutely terrible.

Never have I watched something so high budget with so much talent be so lifeless and pointless: The plot is that people are extra cheer-less this year because of the pandemic so Carey goes to the North Pole and puts on a Christmas show for the World. That's it.

There's no conflict or any point where anyone is showing any kind of vulnerability or any point where anything exciting is happening.

The worst thing is how blatantly Mariah breaks out into song over and over again. Not that I wouldn't expect that because the entire production is clearly just a vehicle to hammer in Mariah's many songs one more time.
It's terrible because none of the songs have any place in the weak story and do nothing to underline the plot or move the story forward.

There's even a part where Carey walks away from Santa's workshop and out into the snow while she's is in the middle of performing the Christmas show.. for no reason at all.. just to sing yet another set of songs that have nothing to do with the plot. Wow.

By far one of the worst pieces of media ever produced. Unwatchable!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.