Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I like Mariah. She has a strong r n b catalogue but that show was the most cringey piece of content I have seen since Wonder Woman tried to make the world feel better with a celeb version of the song imagine. It was awful. The fx were so bad too. Some of the set pieces were ok but in general in just looked like a dressed up tv studio. The script was atrocious. So so cringey and unfunny.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Not sure what age you are, but do you really think there are millions on young people into the latest hits/trends on the media platforms to be begging mum and day to be able to watch a really old 50 year old Granny sing ?
Jesus, even when I was at the start of my teens, anyone 50 was so old and out of touch no-one cared.
Not sure what age you are, but you really are underestimating how much appeal Mariah has to younger generations. “50 year old Granny,” for real? Talk to anyone under the age of 25 who’s into pop culture. Collaborating with Ariana in this special when everyone has called her a “mini-Mariah” for years—incredibly smart move. Her success has carried on into the naughts and the ‘10s; she carries an iconic aesthetic that people (again, who are into pop culture) adore. Did you not see the part where this was statistically a runaway hit for Apple? ?

Forgive me. It’s just hilarious reading the comments on this forum and seeing how in-the-tech-world-vacuum-ish some people are. Apple is and always has been a company that participates in culture—from the Macintosh changing the whole graphic design game, to the announcement of the iPod (one of the BEST articles to look at the comments for retrospectively—no new Xserve?! SHAME, APPLE!), to iTunes giving artists a platform to skyrocket in a way they never could before, to often [read: not always] using music from relatively unheard-of artists in their product commercials. This is not an example of unknown artists at all, but: They literally made a commercial for the HomePod directed by Spike Jonze, gave him the budget to do all this AMAZING stuff with almost zero CGI, commissioned a single from Anderson .Paak for it, and gave FKA twigs her first return to performance (albeit in a commercial) after going through serious health issues for years. Apple knows what it means to be in-touch with the current moment. (Make all the jokes you will about that being a commercial for the HomePod of all products.)

I love this forum and participating in it, I’m just here to say yall are silly sometimes. ??

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Not sure what age you are, but do you really think there are millions on young people into the latest hits/trends on the media platforms to be begging mum and day to be able to watch a really old 50 year old Granny sing ?
Jesus, even when I was at the start of my teens, anyone 50 was so old and out of touch no-one cared.
There there, let's not be ageist now ;)

I'd pay good buck to see e.g. Marianne Faithful, an actual 74-year old granny sing, and I'm 36. I know, that's me, but I'm not the only one. 50 doesn't make her a granny.

Let's be real. The Mariah special is gonna be a hit with the LGBTQ crowd and the RuPaul fans, not the TikTok teens.

Reactions: phenste

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
You think mariah Carey is a big draw in the under-18 demographic? Certainly my 12-year old and her friends have no idea who she is.
Ariana Grande pops in and does a song so the kids-teens-young adults demographic is covered albeit for just 2-4 minutes (can’t remember how long the song is or if she shows up again later in the show).

The show still sucks ass plot wise and has next to no jokes or ridiculous, overly dramatic moments so it’s not going to be something they’ll watch multiple times or create memes from.

I wish they could have just gone all in on how comically airbrushed it all looks and have had some cartoony action sequences where Mariah climbs a snowy mountain in high heels or wrestles a polar bear or something.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ariana Grande pops in and does a song so the kids-teens-young adults demographic is covered albeit for just 2-4 minutes (can’t remember how long the song is or if she shows up again later in the show).

The show still sucks ass plot wise and has next to no jokes or ridiculous, overly dramatic moments so it’s not going to be something they’ll watch multiple times or create memes from.

I wish they could have just gone all in on how comically airbrushed it all looks and have had some cartoony action sequences where Mariah climbs a snowy mountain in high heels or wrestles a polar bear or something.

did anyone even know Ariana grande was in it? I had no idea until i read the news reports about the sequel. Seems like if they wanted to market it to kids, then it’s something that should have been mentioned more prominently.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
It wasn't that good to me...seen better Christmas specials...I pretty much had it on in the background and looked up from time to to time just because I liked looking at Mariah's boobs.
She had one of the best voices in the game back in the day, still not that bad though

Reactions: orbital~debris

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The show's target audience was a mystery to me. A simple story, which was mostly a vehicle for one song after another, might seem suitable for kids, but there wasn't much action, magic, or humor, and I think kids would end up bored. Other than fans of Mariah Carey, who don't care about the story but just want to hear her great voice, I'm not sure who would favor the show. Perhaps Carey has enough fans to draw a big audience no matter what the show's theme, in which case there was no need to tie it to Christmas. Just have a series of Mariah Carey specials.

By the way, Mariah Carey really is a big fan of Christmas, so that part of the story rang true.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The show's target audience was a mystery to me. A simple story, which was mostly a vehicle for one song after another, might seem suitable for kids, but there wasn't much action, magic, or humor, and I think kids would end up bored. Other than fans of Mariah Carey, who don't care about the story but just want to hear her great voice, I'm not sure who would favor the show. Perhaps Carey has enough fans to draw a big audience no matter what the show's theme, in which case there was no need to tie it to Christmas. Just have a series of Mariah Carey specials.

By the way, Mariah Carey really is a big fan of Christmas, so that part of the story rang true.

I feel the same way about literally every christmas show ever.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Since it is impossible to NOT get tv+ with any type of "Apple One" subscription bundle, I don't think Apple is really concerned what it puts on and what most users think... it's not like most can "speak with their wallets" and unsubscribe (a family membership equivalent would cost more if un-bundled just to get rid of tv+). Therefore their methods for determining shows are differently motivated compared to Netflix or Disney+, who have nothing else to draw in subscribers, and therefore have to do actual market research and make/acquire programming that caters to a wider audience.

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Do I cancel my Apple TV+ subscription now or wait until my trial is up in February? It's genuinely useless.

While I have enjoyed what little they have, theres just 0 reason to continue after my year trial. 0.. Zilch.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
did anyone even know Ariana grande was in it? I had no idea until i read the news reports about the sequel. Seems like if they wanted to market it to kids, then it’s something that should have been mentioned more prominently.
Yes. Ariana Grande, Jennifer Hudson, Mariah, Billy Eichner, Jermaine Dupri, AppleTV and probably others tweeted and posted on Instagram about the show. That’s quite a wide reach

Reactions: Coffee50

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Very true...and that’s the huge bonus in bringing in various artist for collaboration. The social media reach from guest artist exposed their followers (if they didn’t already know about it) to the special.

I believe Ariana was tweeting about it before the special even aired. And their collaboration was released as a single.

Reactions: 211
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.