Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be in Asia visiting Toyota as it prepares to lay the supplier groundwork to mass produce a branded car by 2024, according to a new report by DigiTimes.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-purple.jpg

Apple representatives were said to have met with South Korea's SK Group and LG Electronics last month to discuss Apple Car development, and now Japan's Toyota is being touted as its next potential destination.

Apple has been working on a car-related project since at least 2014, and at one stage it looked as if the company was scaling back to focus on autonomous vehicle software. However, following several changes in management and hiring, Apple is now believed to be focused on building a car for consumers.

But to do that, the company needs to tap into a whole new supply chain. Apple is expected to rely on a manufacturing partner to build the vehicles, and though it wants to make EV batteries in the United States, it may be seeking partnerships with established vehicle makers like Toyota to do so.

Reuters has previously reported that Apple is developing a new battery design that has the potential to "radically" reduce the cost of batteries and increase the vehicle's range.

One person who spoke to Reuters described Apple's "monocle" battery technology as "next level" and said that it's similar to "the first time you saw the iPhone."

Reuters' reporting claimed that Apple is aiming to begin production on an Apple-branded self-driving vehicle starting in 2024, so DigiTimes' focus on that date isn't necessarily a shot in the dark. However, delays caused by the ongoing global health crisis or current chip shortage could always push production to 2025 or beyond.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly in Talks With Toyota About Apple Car Production Starting 2024

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I’d love for Apple to come up with great batterie, but involving LG is a bad idea, considering the GM Bolt burni cars due to LG batteries disaster

Reactions: cam0217

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
IF even true, I wonder if this is the same thing as with Motorola phone/iPod - let 'em mess it up first and then do it better a few years later.

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I just don't see why Apple would want to enter into that business. Maybe if they partner with someone, but even then I don't think the benefits outweigh the hassle. Face it, Apple likes to control everything end to end are they really going to be happy with that type of situation... I'd rather see them go into some other business like energy (renewables, storage or even production) or communications (cell and/or satellite), or get more into home automation/efficiency.

Reactions: Pezimak and PC_tech

currocj

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
IF even true, I wonder if this is the same thing as with Motorola phone/iPod - let 'em mess it up first and then do it better a few years later.
I just don’t see anyone doing it better than Tesla.
Sure, apple might come out with a nice $100k ultra luxury car, but anyone can do that now. But no one to just going to leap frog Tesla in AI auto drive arena very easily.

I mean Siri is still a bit of a hot mess.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
That would be a great combination. The IT knowledge of Apple (that Toyota unfortunately lacks) and the mechanical build quality of Toyota. Sign me up!
I agree. Toyota has one the worst UI / electronics interface but their quality and reliability is top tier. I think it's a much better match than Hyundai / LG.

PC_tech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2019
by 2024? I’d say when pigs fly but more aptly when Apple unsolders RAM, SSD, and CPU!
I'm saying never but people seem stuck on this idea Apple, who is a commodity electronics company, is going to sell A CAR 🙄

Nikita_K

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021

Apple is rumored to be in Asia visiting Toyota as it prepares to lay the supplier groundwork to mass produce a branded car by 2024, according to a new report by DigiTimes.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-purple.jpg

Apple representatives were said to have met with South Korea's SK Group and LG Electronics last month to discuss Apple Car development, and now Japan's Toyota is being touted as its next potential destination.

Apple has been working on a car-related project since at least 2014, and at one stage it looked as if the company was scaling back to focus on autonomous vehicle software. However, following several changes in management and hiring, Apple is now believed to be focused on building a car for consumers.

But to do that, the company needs to tap into a whole new supply chain. Apple is expected to rely on a manufacturing partner to build the vehicles, and though it wants to make EV batteries in the United States, it may be seeking partnerships with established vehicle makers like Toyota to do so.

Reuters has previously reported that Apple is developing a new battery design that has the potential to "radically" reduce the cost of batteries and increase the vehicle's range.

One person who spoke to Reuters described Apple's "monocle" battery technology as "next level" and said that it's similar to "the first time you saw the iPhone."

Reuters' reporting claimed that Apple is aiming to begin production on an Apple-branded self-driving vehicle starting in 2024, so DigiTimes' focus on that date isn't necessarily a shot in the dark. However, delays caused by the ongoing global health crisis or current chip shortage could always push production to 2025 or beyond.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly in Talks With Toyota About Apple Car Production Starting 2024
It feels like they just meet with the car companies to discuss deeper car play implementation. This would explain the “partner changes”. They just want this car play Plus to be in all cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.