Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I’m not surprised. My Cambridge Audio Melomania buds knock bells off the AirPods. Amazingly they’re half the price of the AirPod Pros

You can have all the smart features you want but at the end of the day it’s sound that matters the most.
Nope. I use airpods for the convenience, not the sound. That is the selling point for me.

HarryV

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
Athens
How long have you had the Powerbeats pro? I had a pair of Beats X that died right outside of the 1 year warranty and have been afraid to touch the beats brand since.
Well I have them for 2 months so it’s too soon to tell. I’m in love with powerbeats battery life. I never Cary the case because it’s huge and they just keep getting full day and something more without case

On the other hand at 2 and a half months I replaced AirPods Pro for 1st time, so if my beats are trouble free for a year I’d call it success

Last edited:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Many of you seem to think this has something to do with your personal opinion of AirPods. I assure you that it does not.

Shocking news. Maybe the prices are too high... make it affordable, please.

Right, I think it has more to do with (1) lower priced alternatives becoming available in the last 12-18 months, and (2) everyone who wanted a pair of AirPods has purchased them already. These two factors push down demand/sales and Apple is reacting by reducing production. Basic economics that makes sense.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Could be many reasons why sales are dropping:
1. Buy the APP with AppleCare +. In the second year when the battery level is dropping, you can replace it. Then it should last another 2 years so now it's 4 years. Why by another pair?
2. Many competitors have made similar earbuds, some with their version of ANC/Transparency like M-Ow (the brand doesn't pay me to advertise for them).
- Bought a pair from them and it's pretty good. V1 has the ANC in the black model. V2 is just about to be released with ANC & Transparency mode in the white model.
- Both models cost <$60 USD.
3. Many have shifted back to using headphones instead of earbuds as many don't like the feel/functionality of the latter.
4. Airpods (Pro) are still relatively expensive.
- Competitors' brands are Much more affordable and may have ANC/Transparency (See #2).
5. The only reason many people keep buying APPs is due to Apple's ecosystem.
- The competitors' brands may not be as smooth in functionality but the lower costs and decent music quality makes up for that.
- People should Not complain, Ever, if they keep buying the APPs even though it may have failed them more than once. That tells you how much of an Apple shill they are.

One would think selling a few million units, to say the least, would be sufficient for Apple but it's not.
The competition would love to have a small % of those Apple sales.

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Is it anyone here who is stll using first gen AirPods like me?
Here, here! I bought my AirPods First Generation on April 2018. The left pod still works but the right pod is dead. I already have my AirPods Pro that I bought on Black Friday but I haven’t opened the package. I am going to wait until my old AirPods are completely dead before start using the new one.

Reactions: BvizioN

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
that’s actually pretty cool if it was a thing, damn making me feel nervous of the airpods i just ordered

I am sure you will enjoy the experience for the first year. And it is good. Very good. What goes after a year depends on expectations.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Here, here! I bought my AirPods First Generation on April 2018. The left pod still works but the right pod is dead. I already have my AirPods Pro that I bought on Black Friday but I haven’t opened the package. I am going to wait until my old AirPods are completely dead before start using the new one.
Open the APPs, pop them on, then open Apple TV and play a trailer - try telling me you are not impressed with spatial audio from IEMs! It’s some sort of gypsy magic.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’ve had mine now for just over a year. They are fine but for the money the sound quality should be better. I probably wouldn’t buy another pair tbh.

Which of the three products in question are you referring to?

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Not sure why you would assume that. Before the AirPods Pro were released, I owned the Bose SoundSport Free for over a year. I refused to purchase the original AirPods because I hate the earpod form.
Because you wrote: "no other wireless earbud on the market can match their pure portability, I think." The 'I think' at the end made it sound as if you were just supposing, and hadn't tried the others. So if I got the wrong impression... well then ignore :)

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I wouldn’t mind getting the AirPod Pro’s, but I’m not spending that much money on an almost 2 year old product.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I wouldn’t mind getting the AirPod Pro’s, but I’m not spending that much money on an almost 2 year old product.

I’m not sure what you’re expectations are with regards to headphones but why would one want them to be constantly updated?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t need them upgrade all the time, but almost 2 years old is old for any tech these days.

I just don’t apply that thought to tools. They are either good or they are not. They either do what they should or they don’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.