Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning no major updates for its iPad, AirPods, Apple TV, or Apple Watch product lines for 2023, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said today in his latest Power On newsletter.

apple-beta-lineup-2022.jpg

Apple is expected to announce its AR/VR headset this spring, and the imminent launch of the headset has seemingly taken the focus away from other products in Apple's portfolio. According to Gurman, no significant updates for the iPad are expected this year, with the closest major update taking place in the first half of 2024 with OLED 11-inch and 13-inch iPad Pros. Gurman says Apple may introduce minor spec bumps for the entry-level iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Air.

For the AirPods lineup, Gurman says not to expect any updates "of note" this year, which could rule out the possibility of an updated version of the AirPods Max making a debut. Previous reports indicated Apple is not working on a second-generation version of the headphones, but has considered releasing new colors.

For the Apple Watch, Gurman says he does not expect major hardware changes this year, only some minor performance improvements to Apple Watch models. In September, Apple announced the all-new Apple Watch Ultra, so minor updates to that, as well as other models of the lineup, are to be expected. Gurman says Apple has no plans for a new Apple TV in 2023.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning No Major Updates for AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad, or Apple TV in 2023

Last edited:

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
A bit disappointing how stale the Apple Watch has become. I am still wearing my series 4.

I got my GF a Series 8 for X-Mas as her Series 3 was no longer usable. We played around for maybe 30 Minutes with the new sensors and minor new watch faces and that’s it.

I literally feel the changes made between series 4 and 8 are not even worth the effort of having to setup and repair the new watch.

I also see this as a testament to how good the Watch 4 was for its time.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Apple’s direction has taken a concerning turn over the last year. Minimal changes to devices, price hikes, delays, huge number of software bugs and issues, plans for increased advertising within its own software, what am I forgetting?

I will say that there has been some highlights (Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, Apple Watch Ultra, AirPods Pro 2), but the trajectory is not looking great right now. The Apple Silicon transition started with a boom, but now Macs are getting updated less often than the Intel products were. They’re still way better than the Intel products, but it’s still concerning.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Apple’s direction has taken a concerning turn over the last year. Minimal changes to devices, price hikes, delays, huge number of software bugs and issues, plans for increased advertising within its own software, what am I forgetting?

I will say that there has been some highlights (Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, Apple Watch Ultra, AirPods Pro 2), but the trajectory is not looking great right now. The Apple Silicon transition started with a boom, but now Macs are getting updated less often than the Intel products were. They’re still way better than the Intel products, but it’s still concerning.
Don't forget that large parts of the world are facing economic difficulties and Apple is (rightly or wrongly) considered a luxury brand.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Besides the Ultra, the Apple Watch Series basically hasn't received a major update since Series 5. It's crazy if the Series 9 will be little different than the recent generations.

Maybe they are waiting for Apple Watch Series X to roll out the next big product features.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Then again, all I care about is the 15-inch MacBook Air. If that's the biggest update from Apple this year, 2023 will be a great Apple year in my book.

Reactions: RogerDoger2801

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
A bit disappointing how stale the Apple Watch has become. I am still wearing my series 4.

I got my GF a Series 8 for X-Mas as her Series 3 was no longer usable. We played around for maybe 30 Minutes with the new sensors and minor new watch faces and that’s it.

I literally feel the changes made between series 4 and 8 are not even worth the effort of having to setup and repair the new watch.

I also see this as a testament to how good the Watch 4 was for its time.
I would say the same thing but with the series 5 cus always on display is and will always be the biggest upgrade on the Apple Watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.