Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple’s direction has taken a concerning turn over the last year. Minimal changes to devices
One person's minimal change is another person's fantastic change.
, price hikes,
The last few years have been rough all over.
See above.
huge number of software bugs and issues
, plans for increased advertising within its own software,
While I'm not for this, it may ultimately have no usability impact.
what am I forgetting?
Probably can find something else. 👍
I will say that there has been some highlights (Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, Apple Watch Ultra, AirPods Pro 2), but the trajectory is not looking great right now.
I disagree. Seems like a lot of great stuff coming down the pike.
The Apple Silicon transition started with a boom, but now Macs are getting updated less often than the Intel products were. They’re still way better than the Intel products, but it’s still concerning.
I think it's great the transition has slowed a bit, it makes sense to slow it down.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Makes sense as they had updates for these devices last year
Good thing my 11” iPad Pro 2018 is still such a good device. I can hold out for another year with this thing.
Yep I plan to hold out for another two years with my iPad Pro and my iPad mini 6 I wouldn’t upgrade for a while either. Looking forward to the 15 pro max and new homepod this year.

Reactions: RogerDoger2801

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Apple’s direction has taken a concerning turn over the last year. Minimal changes to devices, price hikes, delays, huge number of software bugs and issues, plans for increased advertising within its own software, what am I forgetting?

I will say that there has been some highlights (Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, Apple Watch Ultra, AirPods Pro 2), but the trajectory is not looking great right now. The Apple Silicon transition started with a boom, but now Macs are getting updated less often than the Intel products were. They’re still way better than the Intel products, but it’s still concerning.
Global supply chain issues are responsible for a lot of this. I don't expect near-normalcy until at least 2024. But many of us have been calling for Apple to slow down the product refresh cycle - perhaps supply issues will lead them to decide it's a good idea. And yet none of this explains Apple's software issues. Clearly, at some level Apple is being pushed to the limit.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Good - completely happy with my M1 Max MBP16, and my just purchased iPad Pro 12.9. Now I have no upgrade urges! Lol

I’m actually looking to keep hold of my iPhone 13 Pro Max for another year too and ‘try’ to skip the iPhone 15 as well….. so far I see no compelling rumours tempting an upgrade, especially at Apple’s prices nowadays!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I got my AirPods Max immediately when they came out and am still super happy with them thousands of listening hours later. But I also would be super interested to see what an update would bring to the table.

A budget "HomePod Mini"-type version would be a pass from me, but if they really followed up with some of the features from the last AirPods Pro update, I'd probably consider updating. They're on my head easily 30 hours a week.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Global supply chain issues are responsible for a lot of this. I don't expect near-normalcy until at least 2024. But many of us have been calling for Apple to slow down the product refresh cycle - perhaps supply issues will lead them to decide it's a good idea. And yet none of this explains Apple's software issues. Clearly, at some level Apple is being pushed to the limit.
Not every product Apple makes gets refreshed yearly. The iphone is the only product with a set in cement yearly refresh. Many of us see why it's not possible to change that cycle for the iphone. As far as Apples software issues see: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-ios-16-and-the-iphone-14-launch-the-worst-ever-not-so-fast.2361027/post-31523699

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i don't mind if they don't update the ipad. the current m2 ipad pro is basically the same as the m1 model which i have. there was no point getting the M2 model and if there won't be an "M3" until 2024 then i'm happy with that.

i'm still thinking about getting an iPhone 15 this year but honestly i don't need to. my 12 pro max does all i need it to and the battery is still at 92% health after 2+ years.

Reactions: HVDynamo

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Apple’s direction has taken a concerning turn over the last year. Minimal changes to devices, price hikes, delays, huge number of software bugs and issues, plans for increased advertising within its own software, what am I forgetting?

I will say that there has been some highlights (Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, Apple Watch Ultra, AirPods Pro 2), but the trajectory is not looking great right now. The Apple Silicon transition started with a boom, but now Macs are getting updated less often than the Intel products were. They’re still way better than the Intel products, but it’s still concerning.
What are you talking about?

The trash can Intel mac went like 250 years without an update.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
A bit disappointing how stale the Apple Watch has become. I am still wearing my series 4.

I got my GF a Series 8 for X-Mas as her Series 3 was no longer usable. We played around for maybe 30 Minutes with the new sensors and minor new watch faces and that’s it.

I literally feel the changes made between series 4 and 8 are not even worth the effort of having to setup and repair the new watch.

I also see this as a testament to how good the Watch 4 was for its time.

I would say the same thing but with the series 5 cus always on display is and will always be the biggest upgrade on the Apple Watch

I agree re the Series 4. I used mine for 3 years. But boy is the always on display a game changer. To me that is one of the biggest feature improvements for the Watch.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I would say the same thing but with the series 5 cus always on display is and will always be the biggest upgrade on the Apple Watch

The integrated pulse ox was worth the upgrade alone.

As for static watch tech? Ever followed Swiss watches?

Aside from style adaptions, their basic technology has been static for like a half century.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
A bit disappointing how stale the Apple Watch has become. I am still wearing my series 4.

I got my GF a Series 8 for X-Mas as her Series 3 was no longer usable. We played around for maybe 30 Minutes with the new sensors and minor new watch faces and that’s it.

I literally feel the changes made between series 4 and 8 are not even worth the effort of having to setup and repair the new watch.

I also see this as a testament to how good the Watch 4 was for its time.
I'm also on the S4 watch still. Battery swap for £85 is quite tempting.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
All this to focus on something that is most likely not going to be a hit, I just don’t think there is a market for VR/AR for this to be the next iPod.

The rumored price alone will prevent it from being the next iPod. We’re not all going to replace our phones and tablets and laptops with goggles, sorry, it’s just not going to happen. Not any time soon. I find it ridiculous that Apple is putting so many of their eggs in this basket.

Reactions: N69AP

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Everyone save their money then.... if this is true, 2024 will be new product after new product.

I do hope they give us a new Homepod this year. But not holding my breath.

At $3000, the AR/VR headset is not for everyone. I also feel that no one really wants these headsets, unless they are into gaming.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not a surprise since Apple put all their eggs in the China basket and China is a mess with COVID. Can't get the parts means you can't make ****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.