Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Why reduced efficiency? According to this article from Anton Shilov of Anandtech (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1883...n-schedule-n3p-n3x-deliver-five-percent-gains ), N3E can be configured to provide either more performance or greater efficiency than N3B (or some combination of the two.

Indeed, the only downside of N3E is its modestly lower density, which (for Apple) should only be an issue for the Max chip, which could possibly be constrained by the reticle size. Thus, overall, the N3E process seems like it would be better even for the same price—and yet it's much less expensive.

Folks on this thread seem to be confusing cost with quality. The fact that the N3E costs less doesn't mean it's "lower-end". Quite the opposite.

View attachment 2223179
Thanks for that link. Efficiency is a terrible metric if yield isn't taken into account. If you can produce a 2% more efficient chip, but end up having to toss 60% of your production run because the yield isn’t good, then how efficient is that chip, really?

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I'd prefer that! I "shut up and take my money!" prefer that. I'd prefer a QTVR 2023 where I can take any photos and videos I have and create immersive and interactive environments with them that people with Vision Pros can enjoy. Hell, let me use the existing/legacy QTVR files I have and I'll pay double! Apple could create photo and video tools that would allow interactive immersive environments to be created with a mix of photos shot with pano rigs along with video shot on everything from GoPro Max to Insta360 Pro 2. Let me embed directional audio just like QTVR with Sprites.. Links to other content.. Honest. Shut up and take my money! Right now.

Yes! I have a few remaining QTVR files that I think I can still open on the legacy Windows 7 notebook I kept for backwards compatibility. It annoys me that I can’t open them on my Macs. One more software feature that was ahead of its time that Apple should have kept developing until the world caught up.

Reactions: jwdsail

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Going by AI, "N3E is an enhanced 3 nm chip process that may start production in 2023. N3B is the first iteration of TSMC’s 3nm-class fabrication processes and is expected to be used by early adopters for select applications only as it reportedly has a rather narrow process window. This could translate into lower yields for certain designs. It is difficult to compare the two as they are different versions of the same technology and are designed for different purposes."

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I don't know, but for a phone does it need even more performance over efficiency of battery? To me, efficiency at this level is more important than performance since the performance is already great.
This is Apple, they have the resources to accomplish both. They need to make their scientists do their job.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Wow, did you miss the announcement of a $US3500 piece of kit recently by Apple??? Certainly no recession strategy here, and that's the reality.
Recessions only affect middle/low income families. People with money are just fine. It's the latter category that the "$3500 piece of kit" it targeted at.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tim Cook era indeed!!

Forget efficiency when we can increase profit margins for shareholders!!

Praise be Lord Cook!!
Yep. The Tim Cook era is people getting all dramatic over some rumor.

“N3E has fewer EUV layers and lower transistor density than N3B, resulting in efficiency tradeoffs, but the process can provide better performance.”

People who dislike TC don’t even know why they’re upset.

Last edited:

mprime_17

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
While you are right about a massive recession coming, this is not the reason for the switch.

N3B is being abandoned entirely by TSMC as it is not compatible at all with N3E, N3P, N3X, or N3S. It’s the odd duck out, so it’s being discontinued by TSMC in their roadmaps. That’s the reason for the switch.
Not to mention that according to rumors, Apple is only paying for good chips instead of the whole wafer.
So, given the bad yields, TSMC is losing a ton of money with N3B. They are probably the most interested in Apple switching to N3E in the near term.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
This is Apple, they have the resources to accomplish both. They need to make their scientists do their job.
Have you been paying attention to apple’s chips over the last decade or so? They’re doing just fine

Also this isnt even apple in this case, it’s TSMC, and they’re also doing their jobs. This thread is full of posts illustrating how wrong you are, you may want to read it

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
So this is the final nail in coffin for non-pro iphones ?
What are you even talking about? Even if you took the article at face value without any of this thread’s context all it would mean would be a tiny drop in efficiency and a tiny *increase* in performance… on super efficient chips… with ever increasing battery enhancements that can easily absorb a slight uptick in power usage

Reactions: Tagbert

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
No. A17 is stop-gap chip. With A18 we will start seeing the capabilities of 3nm.
What's your basis for saying A17 is a stop-gap for 3 nm? Apple expected A17 to be on 3 nm, so it was certainly designed for that process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It is nice that the chips continue to get better. But they have been "good enough" for quite some time. I still use the XS with the A12 and it is just as good at everything as far as I can tell as my 12 mini with the A14. Heck, I don't even see a performance difference between the XS with A12 and my iPad Pro with the M1. If they can make a powerful and slightly cheaper chip, then they should do that. If you get the battery replaced every two or three years, these phones basically work fine until you drop them. And eventually you will either drop them and they will break. Or there will be some new feature that you want in a new phone that will cause you to get a new phone. But the chip isn't really holding the phones back.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
The N3B of it. Made just for the sake of being 3nm.
That doesn't make sense. The reason they wanted to move from 5 nm to 3 nm wasn't merely marketing. The smaller process gives performance and efficiency benefits, as demonstrated by the entire history of semiconductor technology, and N3B was simply the first 3 nm process that TSMC was able to produce commercially. You've got to start somewhere.

Thus you've still not explained, in any way, how A17 on N3B is a "stop-gap" that won't allow us to see "the capabilities of 3 nm", particularly since A17 was likely designed for N3B.

It sounds like you were just shooting from the hip.

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
Thus yuou've still not explained, in any way, how A17 on N3B is a stop-gap that won't allow us to see "the capabilities of 3 nm", particularly since A17 was likely designed for N3B.

It sounds like you were just shooting from the hip.
Because we have already talked that nobody is going to use N3B and after A17, everything will go in N3E/N3P way. Otherwise nobody disputes the benefits of 3nm vs 4nm (5nm).

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Because we have already talked that nobody is going to use N3B and after A17, everything will go in N3E/N3P way. Otherwise nobody disputes the benefits of 3nm vs 4nm (5nm).
That's just saying N3B/A17 won't be around for long. It does not support your claim that you won't be able to see the capabilities of 3 nm with N3B on A17 (particularly since A17 was likely designed for N3B).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.