Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All four iPhone 15 models launching next month are widely expected to be equipped with a USB-C port instead of a Lightning port. Alongside this change, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman today reported that Apple plans to announce updated AirPods with a USB-C charging case during its event on Tuesday, September 12 at Steve Jobs Theater.

airpods-pro-2.jpg

"To match the new iPhones, Apple will introduce updated AirPods at the event that include a USB-C charging port," wrote Gurman.

The report does not provide any additional details about the updated AirPods, so it's unclear if it is referring to the standard AirPods and/or the AirPods Pro, but both models will need to be updated with USB-C charging cases eventually to match the iPhone 15 models. Gurman and other sources previously claimed that the AirPods Pro would be updated with a USB-C charging case later this year, while hidden code-level references to new AirPods and a new charging case were uncovered in iOS 16.4 back in March.

It's also unclear if the updated AirPods will have any new features or changes beyond a USB-C charging case. The third-generation AirPods launched in October 2021, while the second-generation AirPods Pro were released in September 2022.

There are several other Apple products and accessories that will likely need to transition from Lightning to USB-C over time if they remain sold, such as the AirPods Max, MagSafe Battery Pack, Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, various adapters, and more. Apple already updated the Siri Remote with a USB-C port last year.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Plans to Announce New AirPods With USB-C Charging Case at iPhone 15 Event

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
thanks EU for this environmental disaster. could have kept using billions of perfectly functioning lightning cables but nope.

it's clear EU has no idea what they're doing. look at the annoying cookie popups for further proof. anyone who thinks otherwise is in absolute denial.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
thanks EU for this environmental disaster. could have kept using billions of perfectly functioning lightning cables but nope.

it's clear EU has no idea what they're doing. look at the annoying cookie popups for further proof. anyone who thinks otherwise are in absolute denial.

It is not like we suddenly won’t be able to use billions of perfectly functioning cables with their respective devices. Sooner or later those Lightening cables will wear out and you can then switch over, no major rush.

fede777

macrumors member
May 10, 2017
Shame they didn't move AirPods Pro 2nd gen to USB-C last year, considering the USB-C Apple TV remote was unveiled at the exact same event
From a user point of view, makes more sense to keep both, iPhone and AirPods. the same, because that's what most people take together, so one cable, now, if this rumors are true, will be the same, both switch, still one cable.

What would have been better is reverse wireless charging, so you can charge your AirPods with your iPhone, even when connected to a cable.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
That's like saying stick with iPhone 14 if you don't want USB-C.
Exactly. And don't upgrade to anything between iPhone X and iPhone 15 if you can't live without TouchID. Or don't upgrade your Mac to Apple Silicon if you really need Intel applications to work on your laptop. Or don't upgrade your Mac Pro if you want eGPU cards support. What's your point?

We are not entitled to a product that doesn't exist. Apple, as any other company, offers a certain product, with certain specs. As consumers, we may disagree with certain choices, but we can either live with them and buy the product or not buy the product at all.

The lightning port was for me an inconvenience for years, but I was still willing to buy the iPhone despite this tradeoff.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

it's clear EU has no idea what they're doing. look at the annoying cookie popups for further proof. anyone who thinks otherwise are in absolute denial.
You mean like how the EU forced Apple to switch to USB-C on 2018 iPad Pro? 🤣

All those perfectly functioning cables and accessories from prior iPads will now have to be replaced with the new USB-C accessories Apple launched

Or how the EU forced Apple to replace MagSafe with USB-C on 2015 MacBook?

Last edited:

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Shame they didn't move AirPods Pro 2nd gen to USB-C last year, considering the USB-C Apple TV remote was unveiled at the exact same event
Well, yeah, but have you considered that if Apple did that last year, they wouldn’t have as many people buying the new AirPods this year?

Why would Apple offer choices in the name of practicality, saving money, and convenience for users?

I’m happy with this news, but I would have been less-than-shocked if Apple simply released a USB-C charging case without including the AirPods.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002

I’m sure the EU already have a recycling plan in place across all member countries to deal with the discarded cables (since the idea WAS environment related). I’m not in the EU, but I assume their social media messaging campaign must be wide reaching!

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
What would have been better is reverse wireless charging, so you can charge your AirPods with your iPhone, even when connected to a cable.
I'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened yet. Wasn't the iPhone 8 and X wired for this ability and it just never got the software support for it? I have no idea if the later MagSafe iPhones are wired this way too. This really needs to happen though. Apple really likes to drag their feet.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
Exactly. And don't upgrade to anything between iPhone X and iPhone 15 if you can't live without TouchID.

Nope.

There is zero difference in UX from switching from lightning to USB-C on AirPods case other than carrying only USB-C cables (assuming you get iPhone 15).

Switching from TouchID to FaceID increases the display size, offers zero touch unlock (fixes wet finger TouchID problem), offers superior face detection, and etc...

Sorry, but it's not the same.
What's your point?
USB-C switch on AirPods is an environmental disaster for nearly zero benefits.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I’m sure the EU already have a recycling plan in place across all member countries to deal with the discarded cables (since the idea WAS environment related). I’m not in the EU, but I assume their social media messaging campaign must be wide reaching!
I don’t know about you, but I’ve never thrown away a working cable and I’m not sure why anybody would in this case, considering there are billions of Lightning devices out there.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Nope.

There is zero difference in UX from switching from lightning to USB-C on AirPods case other than carrying only USB-C cables (assuming you get iPhone 15).

Switching from TouchID to FaceID increases the display size, offers zero touch unlock (fixes wet finger TouchID problem), offers superior face detection, and etc...

Sorry, but it's not the same.
Well, I agree with you regarding FaceID, but many people think that FaceID is a step backward. And for them, they can either decide to buy a high end iPhone and live with FaceID, or stick with an iPhone SE.

I'm not saying it's the same than the port change on AirPods, but I'll leave you the second part of my post so you get the big picture
We are not entitled to a product that doesn't exist. Apple, as any other company, offers a certain product, with certain specs. As consumers, we may disagree with certain choices, but we can either live with them and buy the product or not buy the product at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.