Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

passbook_icon_ios_8.jpg
Apple may have its rumored loyalty rewards program ready for the holiday shopping season, claims Bank Innovation. The loyalty program originally was thought to be launching alongside "Apple Pay 2.0" in October 2015, but recent reports suggest Apple may be pushed it ahead by a year due to merchant demand.
The loyalty program looks like it will come this year, based on Digiday's timetable. This was unexpected -- many had assumed the program would wait until the launch of Apple Pay 2.0, tentatively scheduled for October 2015. It looks like market demand pushed the timetable up to this holiday season, which my sources within the retail industry have said for sme time is "super unlikely."
A previous report from Digiday, described as being "pretty accurate" by Bank Innovation sources, claims Apple plans to monetize its mobile payment system by integrating iAds with Apple Pay. This iAds portion of the loyalty system allegedly will use iBeacons and Bluetooth LE to push targeted ads with a "tap-to-buy" button to customers while they are visiting a participating merchant.
One way they've [Apple] thought up is, say you're in a Duane Reade, hypothetically. You get a push notification from Pepsi that they've worked out a deal with Duane Reade that you can get a free case of Pepsi. Just pick it up and use Apple Pay at the counter.
Apple Pay officially launched yesterday and is compatible with major payment network, including American Express, MasterCard, and Visa. In-store NFC payments will require the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, while those devices and the new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 will be able to make online purchases with Apple Pay.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Preparing Holiday Launch of Apple Pay Loyalty Rewards Program

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
Well this is gonna be interesting... And I have a feeling Apple is gonna end up doing something like what Starbucks provides with their app like codes to free apps or songs...

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
So finally i can forget about my kroger card and my credit card all at once and just use my smartphone which has my list on it oh joy finally.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
If it isn't immediately obvious based on what we've seen in the last 24 hours and now this news, Apple Pay is the most important thing Apple did this year.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
"This iAds portion of the loyalty system allegedly will use iBeacons and Bluetooth LE to push targeted ads with a "tap-to-buy" button to customers while they are visiting a participating merchant."

As long as this is "Opt In" I have no problems with this...start spamming me with ads whenever I walk into a store and I'll completely stop using it and disable it in the phone. (still think iAd is a cancer Apple needs to remove before it gets too big and too profitable) JMHO...

WRT the incentives, sounds like a great idea - although I think most folks want to use it already...besides cash, its the only relatively secure way we have of paying for things in the U.S..

Oli20

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Mitten
Hmmmm, I will be interesting how this works because at first blush ads popping up on the phone would not be welcome, at all.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Push Notification ibeacon ads sounds super annoying and reminds me of advertising in almost any dystopian movie...hopefully you can disable it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Yeah, right. There'll be free pop and beer all over the place.

Marketers, do they have a conscience at all?!

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
So good to hear this.
Several of my co-workers are rabid Android fans and are really dismissive of Apple Pay. I've been impressed so far and think many people are underestimating the impact.
Like another poster suggested, I think this is one of the biggest things Apple introduced this year.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
"This iAds portion of the loyalty system allegedly will use iBeacons and Bluetooth LE to push targeted ads with a "tap-to-buy" button to customers while they are visiting a participating merchant."

As long as this is "Opt In" I have no problems with this...start spamming me with ads whenever I walk into a store and I'll completely stop using it and disable it in the phone. (still think iAd is a cancer Apple needs to remove before it gets too big and too profitable) JMHO...

WRT the incentives, sounds like a great idea - although I think most folks want to use it already...besides cash, its the only relatively secure way we have of paying for things in the U.S..

Please tell me you didn't see this as the future of ibeacon? Of course this is what Apple has planned for it. I see this very much like the advertising in the minority report movie.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
So good to hear this.
Several of my co-workers are rabid Android fans and are really dismissive of Apple Pay. I've been impressed so far and think many people are underestimating the impact.
Like another poster suggested, I think this is one of the biggest things Apple introduced this year.

Android fans seem to be upset about this but I really don't know why. Yes, their phones have had NFC abilities before the new iPhones. No one is disputing that. But Apple, as they do, change they way it's used on a grand scale affecting the landscape. I don't recall this sort of excitement or projected adoption rate for NFC ever. But Android phones weren't first with NFC either. I have credit cards that have the chip but I hardly ever used them that way. As the tech kids say, they disrupted the norm.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Curious to see what they have planned. If Apple starts tracking all Apple Pay transactions in order to issue "loyalty points", that will be the day I stop using Apple Pay ...

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
So Apple is using your personal information to sell ads. Apple PAy users must be so excited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.