Apple Reportedly Preparing to Seed Builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that Apple is preparing to begin seeding builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3, the next maintenance release for Snow Leopard, to developers as soon as this week.
People familiar with the matter say the forthcoming builds are likely to be released to some developers in the next 48 hours, and carry the expected prefix of 10Dxx. It is not yet known what issues Apple hopes to address with the latest update.
While Mac OS X 10.6.2, the most recent update, saw an approximately one-month interval between its first developer seed and its public release, development times can vary significantly as Apple works to address both known issues and new ones that crop up throughout the process.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Preparing to Seed Builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to Developers

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
What are the current issues?

I haven't been having any problems...

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I have the well-documented problem of my networked external HD intermittently disconnecting from my Airport Extreme. I'm hoping they fix this.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
i have never waited so long before to update my company's systems.
we are still all running 10.5.8
waiting for most of the problems to be long cleared up before we risk problems.
i think that apple understands that there are millions more like us, waiting for a great 10.6.3

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
In Leopard apple debuted that screen saver that used your pics in iphoto to create a photo collage. For some reason in SL it doesn't work!?! This is far from serious, but since apple was the one that created the screen saver and the one who broke it, I'd expect they fix it...eventually.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Is it possible to improve performance?

After upgrading my MacBook Pro from 10.5 to 10.6, performance seemed to take a hit.

Defragging helped a lot (cut boot times in half). Performance still didn't seem right, so I did a full format (including writing zeroes), and a clean install of 10.6.

Performance is close to what it was before with the upgrade install, ie: not good.

MacBook Pro 15"
Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 667 RAM

I load up Entourage (13.0) and Firefox (3.5.5) when I log in. Firefox's icon bounces more times than I'd like, and I watch the Entourage splash screen for way too long.

I also use a ThinkPad T43 with Windows 7.
Pentium M 2.0 GHz
2 Gigs DDR2 533 RAM

That system is quite a bit older, yet apps like Firefox and Outlook 2007 load very quickly.

Is this more of a sign of a failing hard drive on the Mac? I get the spinning colored pinwheel a lot when switching between applications. I'm guessing maybe things are having trouble because of disk access issues. My MacBook Pro doesn't have a hard drive indicator light (does any Mac?), so I never know when it is accessing the disk.

youngjm

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
I hope the fix the boot.efi so that macbook 5,1's can boot into 64 bit kernel without a hack.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009

After upgrading my MacBook Pro from 10.5 to 10.6, performance seemed to take a hit.

Defragging helped a lot (cut boot times in half). Performance still didn't seem right, so I did a full format (including writing zeroes), and a clean install of 10.6.

Performance is close to what it was before with the upgrade install, ie: not good....
You may have old log files, which you can check, to see that 10.6.1 was 2-5 seconds faster. 10.6.2 changed that here. Too bad. Maybe this will be fixed with the next upgrade.

p.s. How did you defrag your Mac's HD? I have an issue with one of my drives where all files opened in one particular folder get corrupted. The end is missing. The rest of the folders is fine. Already ran disk utility for a couple of hours to zero out all free space (7 times) but no change. And that with a brand new HD :)

youngjm

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
There's your problem. Both applications are crap on the Mac. That's why a lot of people cheered when MS announced they'd kill Entourage.
I had a lot of issue with ical and not being able to rebuild it via deleting the cache. I eventually had to clear everything out and start over. I believe that it is due to the fact that I used Entourage in the beginning after my switch from a PC to Mac. Their sync service just killed a lot of things for me. I now know better and will not touch Entourage with a ten foot pole.

I do like firefox on the PC but only have it on my Mac for a few work sites that do not work with Safari. My impressions is that Safari on the Mac is leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in terms of performance. I do miss the plug-in's of Firefox though.

Overall, performance on the 10.6.x has been better than on 10.5.x.

BTW, thanks to everyone here and other sites like this who have helped me in my transition from PC to Mac.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I hope they fix whatever is causing espn360 to run dog slow on my brand new mini. It is fine on my three year old Macbook running 10.5.

I guess that might be a Safari issue. It's really annoying, though.

Mighuel

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Finland
This is little off-topic but I've seen some weird behaviour after 10.6.2 update. After some boot ups the system seems to run hotter than usual. I mean CPU idles @ 65-70C. Then after reboot the problem may persist or vanish. Usually cold boot fixes it and system idles around 45-53C which is normal for my MBP. I did PRAM reset and now system works fine but let's see for how long. Does any of you guys have an idea what the problem might be? And could it be software related or hardware? I was thinking it has to be hardware/firmware (PRAM, SMC) related but if I recall correctly I haven't seen the issue before 10.6.2 . If this is a wide spread problem hopefully Apple will fix it in 10.6.3

CMEdinburgh

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I get the spinning colored pinwheel a lot when switching between applications. I'm guessing maybe things are having trouble because of disk access issues. My MacBook Pro doesn't have a hard drive indicator light (does any Mac?), so I never know when it is accessing the disk.
I get the spinning beachball on my iMac and MacBook Pro. But on the iMac (2.8GHz Core Duo with 4GB of RAM) it can spin for 20 seconds at a time, and as often as three or four times an hour.

I did a clean install of 10.6 on both (having had performance problems after upgrade installs). But this beachball is as bad as having a Windows machine at times.

Please, lovely Apple persons, FIX whatever is causing it? There are lots of reports of it out there, and it is happening on both my machines, so it is not a one-person moan by any means!

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Love to see some sort of fix for all the HD activity that's going on even at idle.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
There's your problem. Both applications are crap on the Mac. That's why a lot of people cheered when MS announced they'd kill Entourage.
They might be crappy, but if used regularly, they should open up quite fast, thanks to OS X's aggressive caching technology. Stop being an OS X Apologist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.