Apple Reportedly Renews 'For All Mankind' and Other Apple TV+ Shows for Second Seasons

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Deadline reports that Apple has already greenlighted a second season of Apple TV+ space drama "For All Mankind," along with additional seasons for several other shows set to debut on its upcoming streaming video service.

The cast of "For All Mankind" celebrated the show's premiere on Tuesday

Renewing the shows early is said to be part of a strategy by Apple to queue up original content and ensure there's a steady pipeline of programming by avoiding lengthy hiatuses between seasons.

Apart from "The Morning Show", which was picked up on a two-season deal, Apple previously hasn't officially confirmed second seasons for any of the shows it's promoting ahead of the launch of Apple TV+ on November 1.

Shows also reportedly renewed or in the process of being renewed for a second season include futuristic thriller "See," starring Jason Momoa, period comedy "Dickinson," which stars Hailee Steinfeld as poet Emily Dickinson, immigrant anthology comedy "Little America," and young detective drama "Home Before Dark."

Apple premiered "For All Mankind" on Tuesday at the Regency Village Theater in Westwood, California, where show stars Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Sarah Jones, Shantel VanSanten, Wrenn Schmidt and Jodi Balfour were in attendance. The show imagines a world in which the global space race never ended and the space program remained the cultural centerpiece of America's hopes and dreams.

The first three episodes of "For All Mankind" will be available to watch on Apple TV+ on the day it launches, while new episodes will continue to roll out weekly, every Friday. Apple has launched a press site showcasing information on a number of movies and series coming to ?Apple TV?+, which will be priced at $4.99 per month for up to six family members.

The service will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac and other platforms, including online via www.tv.apple.com. Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10, 2019, are eligible for one year of Apple TV+ for free.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Renews 'For All Mankind' and Other Apple TV+ Shows for Second Seasons

Reactions: 15ngcs1

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
To be fair maybe they liked it, and thought you might like it too. Maybe they go to Jupiter after discovering a monolith above Io.
not sure a second series of Dickinson is sustainable though. As I recall, in real life nothing happened to her.

Skeith

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Does it mean we are going to get a cliffhanger at the end of all these shows?

Sometimes I rather just watch something short (e.g. Fleabag) or limited series (Unbelievable). knowing there's a definite end (lesson learnt) to the series.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
I really don’t understand why Apple is doing this. How will it sell more hardware? This entertainment subscription business will be unprofitable for a decade, if not longer. I don“t see ecosystem lock-in either. Just seems like an ego/fun exec project.

Seriously, I would love for someone to explain this to me.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
I really don’t understand why Apple is doing this. How will it sell more hardware? This entertainment subscription business will be unprofitable for a decade, if not longer. I don“t see ecosystem lock-in either. Just seems like an ego/fun exec project.

it’s kind of defensive. Right now Apple doesn’t have a tv service so Apple customers rely on third party parties.

that means that Netflix, Disney, amazon etc.. have a hold over Apple in some way. If Netflix or HBO or some other company decides they want to withhold there service from Apple devices for whatever reason that’s going to effect sales of Apple devices.

Apple can’t battle these services in terms of content, they are too big. What they can do is a) produce their own exclusive content so they have some bargaining chips. If they have some popular shows that the public like it provides bargaining power with studios who might not want to offer there content on Apple devices.
b) if Disney or Amazon ever decides to withold tv services from Apple their customers have at least something to use that is reasonable.
c) in the long run owning some tv shows can be big business (game of thrones, friends etc..)

ultimately Apple don’t like relying on third parties for anything. Look at their plays over the years. It doesn’t even matter if they don’t make much money sometimes. As long as their customers have access to all computing functions at some level that allows them to sell phones with exclusive operating systems that don’t have a lot of market share.

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012

It won’t. But it makes a nice distraction. Macrumors and other blogs can’t help themselves. They’ll go nuts reviewing this trash for no apparent reason other than Apple paid for someone to make the mess.

And in a time when Apple needs people taking about services (even though this will hurt services and isn’t the service you wanted).

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
it’s kind of defensive. Right now Apple doesn’t have a tv service so Apple customers rely on third party parties.

that means that Netflix, Disney, amazon etc.. have a hold over Apple in some way. If Netflix or HBO or some other company decides they want to withhold there service from Apple devices for whatever reason that’s going to effect sales of Apple devices.

Apple can’t battle these services in terms of content, they are too big. What they can do is a) product their own exclusive content so they have some bargaining chips. If they have some popular shows that the public like it provides bargaining power with studios who might not want to offer there content on Apple devices.
b) if Disney or Amazon ever decides to withold tv services from Apple their customers have at least something to use that is reasonable.
c) in the long run owning some tv shows can be big business (game of thrones, friends etc..)

ultimately Apple don’t like relying on third parties for anything. Look at their plays over the years. It doesn’t even matter if they don’t make much money sometimes. As long as their customers have access to all computing functions at some level that allows them to sell phones with exclusive operating systems that don’t have a lot of market share.
Lol. I’m sorry. This makes no sense.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
It won’t. But it makes a nice distraction. Macrumors and other blogs can’t help themselves. They’ll go nuts reviewing this trash for no apparent reason other than Apple paid for someone to make the mess.

And in a time when Apple needs people taking about services (even though this will hurt services and isn’t the service you wanted).
How do you know it is trash?

Steve121178

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
In my day to day life I can’t really find a single person who knows about any of these shows, or even excited about them.
It didn't help that the trailers for every single show looked horrific, especially SEE. If you can't make a trailer/teaser interesting then it doesn't bode well.

It also doesn't help that Apple are going down the family friendly route for a lot of their content which means their shows will probably be mushy fluffy garbage.

I just hope the people behind Masters of the Air are allowed to make a great mini-series that is at least as good as Band of Brothers & The Pacific. That way at least all 50 of us who will have access to Apple TV+ can watch it.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
In my day to day life I can’t really find a single person who knows about any of these shows, or even excited about them.
Me either.

Outside of tech news, Apple TV+ has been unheard about in my experience. The ATV is also often unheard of, and that has been around for over a decade.

I often discuss streaming services, cord cutting options, movies and tv shows, and streaming boxes with my friends and co-workers, and it seems like very few people have heard of the ATV or the Apple TV+ service.

But they all know about Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Roku, and Fire TV.

This is how almost every conversation about the ATV goes for me:

Co-worker: "do have have a smart tv or streaming box?"

Me: " I use the Apple TV."

Them: "I didn't know they made TVs, is it expensive?"

Me: "it is like a Fire TV."

Them: "Oh."

randomdefence

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
I took a tour of Sony Picture Studios back in the first week of September. They openly admitted that the second season of For All Mankind was filming already, we saw a glimpse of the set though the door. How is this still such a secret?

Reactions: orbital~debris

mthomas184

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2016
Pittsburgh

Oh you know all about it already? Cool.

Just because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it won't to others. Get over yourself.

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
Oh you know all about it already? Cool.

Just because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it won't to others. Get over yourself.
It’s just a tv show. They’re a dime a dozen. There must be 100s of premiers this month on all the networks. I can’t think of one I’ve seen or care about. How are these shows paid for by Apple any different?

There no apple dna involved here. No iOS. No macOS. No chips. No Apple employees hardly. No software/hardware integration.

What makes you think this is worthwhile? Netflix is already showing there’s no cash flow in it.

As an Apple user what about these tv shows excites you? The Apple logo? Lol. Paying Apple another sub? All of apples other services are vastly superior compared to atv. Even the app itself is garbage. Apple has resorted to ads and selling channels. Screw the content you own. While iTunes content is buried somewhere in this app.

Apple is walking backwards with atv. We wanted homepod system made for atv, new hardware, more integration with iOS, better remote, etc. not this atv+ ads fest garbage trying to sell subs.

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
Having first seen her in One Tree Hill, I’m looking forward to watching Shantel VanSanten in For All Mankind.

And it will be good to see (no pun intended) Jason Momoa back in similar environs to the off-world adventures his character had in Stargate Atlantis.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

tribeaumes

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016

Such a negative Nancy and so quick to judge something you haven’t even gotten the chance to watch yet. This is why you don’t get invited to parties!

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
Me either.

Outside of tech news, Apple TV+ has been unheard about in my experience. The ATV is also often unheard of, and that has been around for over a decade.

I often discuss streaming services, cord cutting options, movies and tv shows, and streaming boxes with my friends and co-workers, and it seems like very few people have heard of the ATV or the Apple TV+ service.

But they all know about Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Roku, and Fire TV.

This is how almost every conversation about the ATV goes for me:

Co-worker: "do have have a smart tv or streaming box?"

Me: " I use the Apple TV."

Them: "I didn't know they made TVs, is it expensive?"

Me: "it is like a Fire TV."

Them: "Oh."
Even for those that do know about it, it seems many people in the industry don’t really think of the content as unique or distinctly interesting. There is that saying of “(good) content is king”.

We will have to wait and see. The presentation of AppleTV+ só far has felt borderline evangelical.