Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has dramatically increased the amount of iCloud user data it stores on Google Cloud, according to The Information.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

The report claims Apple now has over eight million terabytes of data stored on Google's servers. As of mid-May, Apple was reportedly on track to spend around $300 million on Google cloud storage services this year, which would represent an increase of roughly 50% from all of 2020. Apple is said to be the largest corporate client for Google Cloud, dwarfing other high-profile customers like Spotify.

Google Cloud staffers have apparently even given Apple an internal code name that hints at its size as a customer: "Bigfoot."

Apple relies on a combination of its own data centers and third-party cloud storage services, such as Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services, to store iCloud user data like photos and messages. Apple does not provide third-party cloud storage providers with the keys to decrypt user data stored on their servers, ensuring a strong level of security.

The report speculates that Apple's increased use of Google Cloud suggests the company's rising cloud storage requirements have outpaced its ability to develop and operate its own data centers needed to handle the resulting data.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Storing Over 8 Million Terabytes of iCloud Data on Google Servers

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
This has to be like 1% of Apple's iCloud needs though, right? I personally have 1.5 terabytes on my iCloud account. There are surely about 8 million of Apple's 1 Billion customers using 1 terabyte of data.

I trust Apple to properly handle my data, not lose it and keep my data private and safe until they prove they can't do that.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So Google has my data? Great!

not sure how I feel about that. Hope they follow the privacy guidelines like Apple does.

All data is encrypted.

Also, it's not in Google's best interest to attempt to harvest data that is stored on their servers, by paying customers. These customers would use competitors instead.. since it wouldn't be in their best interest either.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.