Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohrt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
If the rumor is true, it's nowhere near the size and scope of 4.2. Thus, much less testing should be required. I'm a bit skeptical of it being called 4.3, though. Maybe 4.2.2 as others have suggested.

If any significant features are added, 4.3 would make more sense. 4.2.2 would indicate mostly bug fixes.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Ehh, so much rumors about iOS, is there any rumors for Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Mac Apps yet? Sorry, not trying to be an ass.:(

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
How about some normal and new/enhanced features like:

1)updated browser...numerous non-flash sites stink and act poorly...especially sites with frames (Dell checkout is a great example or other sites that have a scroll box in the middle of the page yet you can't get into the box to scroll).

2)some new, free apps like some basic games or utilities.

3)better WIFI support in general (my iPad purchased 2 weeks ago stinks on our home WIFI...all other WIFI devices work fine while the iPad keeps dropping and connecting)

4)ability to sync with iPhoto

5)ability to delete pix that I downloaded/copied from the net to my iPad. Currently I have to open each photo and press the trash bucket...why not simply hold my finger on it in the Albums and instead of just giving me the COPY option I can also do things like DELETE or EMAIL? Extra steps annoy me.

6)ability to have numerous email accounts, however, configure some email accounts to require a password...thus the iPad can be shared by numerous people in our household without people snooping on other's mail. As I understand it, all email accounts on the iPad require the password to be saved/cached thus anyone who has access to the iPad can do anything with all your email accounts.

7)Building on #5, ability to highlight/select multiple photos and do things like EMAIL or DELETE.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Ehh, so much rumors about iOS, is there any rumors for Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Mac Apps yet? Sorry, not trying to be an ass.:(

Well an early seed of 10.6.6 has already been made available to developers and there have been some hints the Mac App Store will be released a long side 10.6.6 in mid January (~90 days from the Mac App Store announcement).

Looks like Apple engineers aren't getting much of a holiday break this year.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

1)updated browser...numerous non-flash sites stink and act poorly...especially sites with frames (Dell checkout is a great example or other sites that have a scroll box in the middle of the page yet you can't get into the box to scroll).

sometimes if you use 2 fingers instead of one you can scroll in those embedded boxes

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
7)Building on #5, ability to highlight/select multiple photos and do things like EMAIL or DELETE.

You can already do this (up to 5 images)

photos -> camera roll -> top left arrow (share) -> share -> email
or alternatively - copy - go to email and then paste

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
OMG now we are going to be seeing all the rumors of the dates and all that bull....im sick of those!!! ahhh im flippin out like flipper the king of the sea!!!!

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

2)some new, free apps like some basic games or utilities.

3)better WIFI support in general (my iPad purchased 2 weeks ago stinks on our home WIFI...all other WIFI devices work fine while the iPad keeps dropping and connecting)

4)ability to sync with iPhoto

5)ability to delete pix that I downloaded/copied from the net to my iPad. Currently I have to open each photo and press the trash bucket...why not simply hold my finger on it in the Albums and instead of just giving me the COPY option I can also do things like DELETE or EMAIL? Extra steps annoy me.

6)ability to have numerous email accounts, however, configure some email accounts to require a password...thus the iPad can be shared by numerous people in our household without people snooping on other's mail. As I understand it, all email accounts on the iPad require the password to be saved/cached thus anyone who has access to the iPad can do anything with all your email accounts.

1) Like using a 2 finger scroll?
2) Thats what the App Store is for
3) Yea, people have been complaining about that
4) What exactly do you mean? It syncs with iPhoto now
5) Are you sure you are using an iPad/iPhone. I have always had that feature since 3.0
7) Again, are you sure you are using the same device as me?

Mherm88

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Lafayette Hill, PA
AirPlay is built into the AV Foundation framework. I just looked it up and there is a way to control audio but it looks like for Video you have to use the built in media player in the MediaLayer.

So you're saying NO 3rd apps use MediaLayer? Not even Safari for YouTube videos? If we don't see any updates to apps this week that support AirPlay video then it is deffinitly not currently allowed by Apple. Also, neither the dev site documentation nor the SDK have mentions of AirPlay in them, so why don't you share your knowledge with the world if you think you are so correct?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
So you're saying NO 3rd apps use MediaLayer? Not even Safari for YouTube videos? If we don't see any updates to apps this week that support AirPlay video then it is deffinitly not currently allowed by Apple. Also, neither the dev site documentation nor the SDK have mentions of AirPlay in them, so why don't you share your knowledge with the world if you think you are so correct?

Take it easy there. I got this directly from the dev site, it seems you never looked.

AirPlay support is built in to the AV Foundation framework and the Core Audio family of frameworks. Any audio content you play using these frameworks is automatically made eligible for AirPlay distribution.

And I remember it saying somewhere that AirPlay video is built in to the default video player. Some apps use their own video player like Netflix and Hulu. I admitted that I was wrong before but AirPlay is in the SDK and there is an API for it. It is part of AV Foundation.

http://bit.ly/fJG47T

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
4.3 better have customization of SMS and E-mail tones.

The new SMS tones are the worst artistic mistake Apple has made since the round USB mouse.

The email tone? Well, we all know there's just one. That's gotta change in itself, too.

Mherm88

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Lafayette Hill, PA
Take it easy there. I got this directly from the dev site, it seems you never looked.

And I remember it saying somewhere that AirPlay video is built in to the default video player. Some apps use their own video player like Netflix and Hulu. I admitted that I was wrong before but AirPlay is in the SDK and there is an API for it. It is part of AV Foundation.

http://bit.ly/fJG47T

Thanks, sorry I got pissy, I was getting frustrated with not being able to find it last night or this morning. Thanks for the link too.

EDIT: it looks like this is just for Audio still though, what I was reffering to before was that they allow streaming video from third party apps, which doesn't seem to be present in the documentation currently, and hopefully it will be available in 4.3 (or 4.2.2 or whatever it turns out to be).

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
Oh no! :(

Not 4.3! We just got over the "When is 4.2 coming out! Why is keeping Apple from releasing it!" posts.

Well let's begin....

I hope 4.3 fixes :::insert complaint here::::

Some choices:

AirPrint for Shared printers
Change iPad switch back to orientation lock
AirPlay to more devices

......and go! ;)

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Jeez, what the hell is Apple gonna launch with iPad 2 then? iOS 4.4?? Lol, thats a bit much out of iOS4. Unless they plan on either launching a new iPad next month with 4.3, or just put iOS5 with the new iPad instead of in June with the iPhone. To me it makes the most sense to debut new features on the iPad first, and then trickle them down to the smaller devices. It just seems backwards to have iPhone receive features like multitasking first, and then the iPad has to wait months for it.

But it really seems just silly to release 4.2 and then a month later release 4.3 with another new set of APIs. Should have just held off on 4.2 and released those APIs all in the same update, especially since now its only a few weeks difference.

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
My biggest complaint is that I have to wait until I launch an app to see the latest content. Why can't I set a download schedule to my apps to automatically sync w/ the content server prior to me picking up my iPad and reading?

It's annoying to have to walk to the train station with my iPad in hand, syncing 3-4 apps just so I can be prepared for my subway ride... kinda unsafe in my neighborhood to do that. It would be great if the iPad already d/led the info prior to me leaving the house... plus AT&T 3G sucks. :mad:

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
"...initial issues found in AirPlay..." What, pray tell, are those? I know about the issues with AirPrint only supporting a handful of HP network printers right now, but I can use Printopia to work around that. However I want to get a new Apple TV to replace my old one. I want to get it like yesterday but I want it to work. Are their significant AirPlay issues at present? If so, what are they?

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

cxny said:
The main question is when is Angry Birds getting Multitasking? I'm sick of relaunching the App after looking up the cheat on YouTube.

Lol funny!!! But so very true. They can also fix that lag too.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The main question is when is Angry Birds getting Multitasking? I'm sick of relaunching the App after looking up the cheat on YouTube.

What version are you running? Mine has been "multitasking" (read saved state) for awhile now. iPhone 4.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
4.3 better have customization of SMS and E-mail tones.

The new SMS tones are the worst artistic mistake Apple has made since the round USB mouse.

The email tone? Well, we all know there's just one. That's gotta change in itself, too.

I think they are more suited towards ringtones. At least they should be ringtones. I don't mind the email tone.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Monday 13th December? Since when have Apple released FW on a Monday? It is too soon for a FW release and a Monday makes me doubt the validity of this rumour.

Does confucious mean confused! Like in what was yesterdays firmware release day?:confused:

speedfreak007

macrumors member
May 22, 2009

are you talking about the ipad version? because that's already possible on the iphone/ipod touch for months

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.