Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun testing a new AI-powered tool with a small group of advertisers that automatically decides where to place ads on the App Store, Business Insider reports.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-Black.jpg

Citing two individuals familiar with the matter, Business Insider claims that the AI-powered tool mirrors the functionalities of Google's Performance Max and Meta's Advantage+, which allow advertisers to specify their budget, target cost-per-acquisition, desired audiences, and geographical targets. Apple's algorithm then automatically determines the most effective placement of ads across the App Store's existing formats.

The initiative is said to be part of Apple's broader ambition to refine and expand its advertising offerings. Currently, Apple provides a variety of ad formats within the App Store, including search tab ads, search results page ads, "you might also like" suggestions on app product pages, and ads on the "today" tab.

Business Insider speculates that the move toward AI-enhanced ad placements suggests a future where Apple could extend advertising to other apps and services within its ecosystem, such as Apple News, Stocks, and the recently launched Sports app. The website also today reported that a number of recent Apple hiring decisions may indicate plans to introduce an ad-supported Apple TV+ tier.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Testing AI-Powered Ad Technology

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Apple has decades of AI research to catch up on, and they give us.... Ads. That's legit. Improving our lives and enhancing the bicycle for our minds. Tim Cook has obliterated the core essence of Jobs virtues with technology and innovation. It's all about share holders and dollars again. May as well have hired Scully back. Vision Pro is literally the newton of the era.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
“For privacy” right Apple? Oh the hypocrisy… getting increasingly annoyed with Apples BS to be honest. RCS may change my hardware use. If I can’t feel good about knowing Apple isn’t shady… might as well use pixel 9 pro… always enjoyed them more than Apple devices. If I can’t know Apple isn’t working on this for ads for tracking my use, what’s the difference between the 2 devices and operating systems at that point. Just pick the one I like more now not the one I feel better on.

Agree with sentiment here above, Cook has gotta go. Who can do it better any ideas?

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Opt out. Unsubscribe. STOP

LOL

Certainly Apple isn't the only one that's investigating this... I'd look at monsters like Facebook that will abuse it to no end.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn and wilhoitm

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Unconcerned. I haven't bought anything on the App Store in years. Nothing of real interest there. Everything is a subscription and I don't play games. What is left? Apple's first party apps plus MS Excel meet all my requirements. I never look at the App Store. If they increase ads in news, I'll quit looking at that too.

NicosAccount

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2024
Unconcerned. I haven't bought anything on the App Store in years. Nothing of real interest there. Everything is a subscription and I don't play games. What is left? Apple's first party apps plus MS Excel meet all my requirements. I never look at the App Store. If they increase ads in news, I'll quit looking at that too.
True, but the problem is when ads start taking over more and more things until you can't ignore them anymore and they severely decrease user experience.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
What is the point of locking down the ecosystem just to pollute it with ads? They undermine the simplicity and trust that Apple has been trying to sell us since Ive and Jobs began their work together. An ad is an ad - whether it was given the all clear by Apple or not is a moot point.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Nice! Heavy weighted goggles that are FAR behind in the AR space, and now ADS! Apple TV+ will have them and so will Apple products. Come on Tim Cook! Find a way to get ads on Apple Watch! Walk by a business and an ad pops up!! Now we know why the Apple Car was was canceled. 🤣

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Do you get notifications from any physical stores you shop at, possibly delivery notifications? Imagine if Apple implements this on the Apple Watch and when you are near one of those physical stores, you get an AD notification? Don’t even get me started with how horrible ads will be in an AVP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.