Apple Reportedly Tried to Buy Stuttgart's Wartime Bunkers to Convert into an Iconic Retail Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly offered a three-digit million amount to acquire an underground bunker in Stuttgart that it wanted to convert into a retail outlet similar to its iconic New York 5th Avenue Store.

The city of Stuttgart is still without an Apple Store, with the nearest one in Sindelfingen about 12 miles away. Apple has reportedly been searching for a suitable retail home in the city for some time, having rejected various locations in recent years, including a planned move into the Milaneo shopping mall which the company is said to have pulled out of at the last minute.

According to German tech site ifun.de, Apple's search for a home in the state capital even led to the company offering a "three-digit million amount" for a series of wartime bunker rooms under the Stuttgarter Market Square in the center of the city.

After the Second World War, the bunker system in question was used as a 100-bed hotel from 1945 to 1985. The Bunker Hotel had ventilation shafts instead of windows, and the rooms still exist to this day, but are reportedly dilapidated.

An architectural competition to make the bunker a public exhibit was announced in 1995 and the winning design by Neugebauer + Roesch Architect was a 31 meter-long and 14 meter-high glass prism as an entrance pavilion to underground stores, but the design was never realized because of lack of interest from the city administration.

The original architectural proposals fit Apple's portfolio of underground store, which typically involve a recognizable glass construction entrance leading to retail rooms below, as seen at the company's flagship 5th Avenue store in New York. However, the city administration are said to be reluctant to have an Apple logo-emblazoned edifice directly opposite the Stuttgart City Hall and have so far rejected Apple's large offer of money to acquire the location.

At least for now, Apple's search for a retail home in the the state capital of Baden-Württemberg appears set to continue.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Tried to Buy Stuttgart's Wartime Bunkers to Convert into an Iconic Retail Store

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I feel like Apple shopping for real estate is like a wealthy woman shopping for a Chanel bag to add to her collection..
Really, it's getting ridiculous now. Just setup shop at a nice space. It's nice that they have money to spend but they don't have to be obnoxious about it.

aussiephil

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Australia
Really, it's getting ridiculous now. Just setup shop at a nice space. It's nice that they have money to spend but they don't have to be obnoxious about it.
I think it's more about continuous marketing.. no other company in the world is more famous for their unique stores than Apple. It's just reminding consumers of the power and superiority of their brand. :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
When I saw an Apple Store for the first time, it reminded me of a Sony Store - which had been around for years prior.

I think it's more about continuous marketing.. no other company in the world is more famous for their unique stores than Apple. It's just reminding consumers of the power and superiority of their brand. :)

JanoschR

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Germany
As someone who lives in the greater Stuttgart area, I wish they were able to realize this project. The next store (Sindelfingen) is one of those mall-shoeboxes and nothing special.

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
The next store (Sindelfingen) is one of those mall-shoeboxes and nothing special.
Calling it "nothing special" sounds weirdly biased!
I live near the Sindelfingen store. The store is actually very big and nice! Great people work there!
Also a very busy store!

As someone who lives in the greater Stuttgart area, I wish they were able to realize this project.
As someone who lives near Stuttgart I have to say I would prefer the stupid Stuttgart21 project to be realized first!
[doublepost=1482239594][/doublepost]
When I saw an Apple Store for the first time, it reminded me of a Sony Store - which had been around for years prior.
Wrong - Apple Store were around before Sony Store.
Also Sony Store is on a downfall:
https://www.engadget.com/2014/02/26/sony-stores-closing/

Deemr

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Sure, the city with the huge Mercedes Logo on top of the roof of the public train station, the huge Bosch Logo at the highway crossing airport car park has problems when a merchants logo appear on a "market" place. The ignore a 3-digit million offer to get a iconic landmark and revitalization of sub terrain buildings.

Makes sense to me.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wrong - Apple Store were around before Sony Store.
As someone already said (and I will concur), Sony Stores were around up in Canada long before an Apple Store was in existence. Sony Stores were in the Toronto area in the 90s, as I recall -- perhaps as early as '97 or '98, if not before.
[doublepost=1482249715][/doublepost]I hear about Apple supposedly looking to drop a ton of money on real estate every now and again and I think to myself, "Man, I wish they would take some of that money and invest it in more R&D and QA."

I mean, having a beautiful retail store in a historic location is nice and all; but if you fill it up with buggy products that don't always "just work", what's the point?

As for me, it's getting to the point where I loathe the idea of going to an Apple Store. Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's just not a place that makes me glad to be there as it did many years ago.

My last few experiences there were average...not great, not terrible...just average. The last time I was there several months ago, I sat with a bunch of other people waiting to be helped and it almost felt akin to sitting at the DMV. As far as I'm concerned, Angela Ahrendts and her team have failed to create a retail experience that I enjoy.

I couldn't care less what the store looks like as long as the ceiling isn't caving in. For me, it's about the experience you have with the people who work at the store. I think as long as Tim, Angela, and company keep doing things like handing out t-shirts and printed copies of Apple's credo to their retail employees as holiday gifts, the retail store experience is going to continue to be hit and miss.

Last edited:

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
Then explain how there was an official Sony Centre Store in Toronto Eaton Centre before Apple opened its first break and mortar store?
So a mall in Toronto is representative for the start of company stores worldwide? :D
I did not know that

And you also claim that Apple stole the store concept from Sony? :confused: I stand corrected - LOL

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't think you quite understand. Sony Centre stores were international, and there was one in Toronto Eaton Centre before the first Ever Apple Store was opened, thus, disproving your quote:

"Wrong - Apple Store were around before Sony Store."

Yes, the concept of Apple Stores were fairly similar to the Sony Stores.

This shouldn't surprise you. Not everything Apple does is the first of its kind.

So a mall in Toronto is representative for the start of company stores worldwide? :D
I did not know that

And you also claim that Apple stole the store concept from Sony? :confused: I stand corrected - LOL

Except in the Apple Store there were buying patrons and staff that actually said hello.
Incorrect actually, there were people buying products, and the staff did say "Hello" and asked if I needed any help.

Your observation isn't unique to Apple Stores.
[doublepost=1482255839][/doublepost]
Never even heard of a Sony Store.
You haven't got out much, have you?

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
Except in the Apple Store there were buying patrons and staff that actually said hello.
Do not take "Stella" too serious...

Just look at her latest answers:

WarHeadZ: Never even heard of a Sony Store.
"Stella": You haven't got out much, have you

Or:

Kalbelf:
"Stella":
Incorrect actually, there were people buying products, and the staff did say "Hello" and asked if I needed any help.
Your observation isn't unique to Apple Stores.
(Remember: Sony had to close all its Canadian stores due to bad business and bad staff)

Does Stella not sound a bit like an angry diva having a bad day?

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Got out plenty, they were just probably few and far between and irrelevant.
I'm sure you would have changed your tune if they had the Apple logo on the front of the store... :-\
[doublepost=1482256821][/doublepost]
Oh and good news for Stella concerning those horrendous Sony Stores:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sony-to-close-all-14-canadian-stores-within-2-months-1.2902094

Sony to close all 14 canadian stores - LOOOOL

Couldnt you have told us that earlier - Hahaha :D
Closing of Sony Stores: I thought that was pretty common knowledge.

Apple actually hired a Sony exec from its Retail unit...

"In 1999, Apple hired Allen Moyer, a former Sony executive who had been part of the company's retail development projects, including the Metreon complex in downtown San Francisco," Lowensohn writes. "There, Sony had opened its own Sony Style store where consumers could wander in and get their hands on Sony's gadgets. Being in the middle of a densely populated and tourist-filled city, the store had the potential for big foot traffic. More importantly, it could be an attraction."
http://www.iqmetrix.com/blog/why-apple-store-is-tops-for-shopping-experience/

So, its not surprising that Apple Store had design ideas from Sony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.