Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Reports $1.61 Billion Profit for Q1 2009

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2009. Apple posted record revenue of $10.17 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.61 billion, or $1.78 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $9.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.58 billion, or $1.76 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 34.7 percent, equal to the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue. Apple also generated $3.6 billion in cash during the quarter. The results constitute the best quarterly revenue and earnings in Apple's history.

Using non-GAAP data, which eliminates subscription-based accounting for the iPhone and Apple TV, Apple would have had $11.8 billion revenue and $2.3 billion of net income.

Apple shipped 2,524,000 Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing 9 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 22,727,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 3 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter and a company record. Quarterly iPhone units sales reached 4,363,000 up 88 percent from the year-ago-quarter.

Article Link: Apple Reports $1.61 Billion Profit for Q1 2009

Comment

SwiftLives

Contributor
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Holy snap. That's impressive.

As long as Apple is realistic about expectations for 2009, they should be okay, stockwise.

And Apple usually plays projections verrrrry conservatively.

Comment

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
This is Incredible

I am thrilled to see such amazing numbers!!! I do not think a single analysist out there had predicted those kinds of results!! NOw watch the Stock tumble... Seems like everytime they have a great quarter the Stock falls like 10%...

I just check after hours trading and amazingly enough>>> it is up! I wonder how long that will last. :rolleyes:

Apple is doomed!!:p

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wonder what the total installed user base of OS X systems is now... that it, systems you can develop for with Xcode: Macs, iPhones, and iPod Touches.

Probably a massive number--I think I'll learn Xcode :)

(You could count AppleTV in the OS X base too I suppose.)

Comment

ncbill

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
"fiscal 2009 first quarter ended December 27, 2008"

might want to clarify this is for calendar 4th quarter 2008

Comment

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
But paradoxically, the greater the success, the greater it's personally meaningless to me if Apple are incapable of actually manufacturing something I want to buy.

Comment

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I am thrilled to see such amazing numbers!!! I do not think a single analysist out there had predicted those kinds of results!! NOw watch the Stock tumble... Seems like everytime they have a great quarter the Stock falls like 10%...

I just check after hours trading and amazingly enough>>> it is up! I wonder how long that will last. :rolleyes:

Apple is doomed!!:p

Apple continues to defy reality with such amazingly positive numbers in REAL ECONOMY terms, even if the US is in a financial disaster for now...good that the rest of the world is keeping the company MORE than in the good shape.

In summary, Apple is THE BEST, RICHEST AND STRONGEST IT COMPANY IN THE WORLD!

Where the hell are the PC lovers that populate this forum now? Where are the genius analysts? Any "pundits" to respond? THIS IS APPLE! THIS IS QUALITY! LET'EM HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF APPLE CROW NOW!

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
As an investor, I'm very thankful that the public doesn't seem to share your opinion, BV.

As a fanboy, I'm not thrilled with their lineup.

I can't recall AAPL going up after hours after any recent earnings announcements.

Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
But paradoxically, the greater the success, the greater it's personally meaningless to me if Apple are incapable of actually manufacturing something I want to buy.

It would seem they ARE capable of manufacturing stuff a lot of other people want to buy. I think Apple is safe if it doesn't build what you personally want to buy...at least from these numbers.

Comment

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Apple continues to defy reality with such amazingly positive numbers in REAL ECONOMY terms, even if the US is in a financial disaster for now...good that the rest of the world is keeping the company MORE than in the good shape.

Do you really think that the rest of the world is just fine and dandy, economically speaking?

My favorite related post a few days ago:

That's pretty sad, as even the most dire analyst predictions had them making quite a bit of money...

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
For everyone out there advocating Apple release a $400 netbook, this is why Apple will never release a $400 PC:

Gross margin was 34.7 percent, equal to the year-ago quarter

The margin is pretty staggering. I know certain PC makers did better in terms of market share but I don't think anyone can come close to these margins.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
CNBC reported that 46% of revenue was outside the US.

Now up $11.50 after hours.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.