Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Well done Apple. :D

I've been surprised at how well Apple sales have held up during the economic downturn. My Apple sales have been very good the last six months.

Just wish I had an up to date $500 Mini :mad: and a $1K quad core tower :mad: to sell. I could sell tons of them.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
BlueVelvet, they just poked a hole in your theory, as it was clearly stated that Apple is "shipping the best products in (their) history."

Doesn't get much clearer than that...

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Thanks. I know laptops are popular but by an almost 3-1 margin? Pitiful, and shows the paucity of the current desktop range in offering value and choice.
...or it shows that Apple's current laptops are playing very well in the current trend of the market. Of course in reality it is a little bit of both.

In the near future expect the product mix to swing a little more back towards desktop systems (product updates will happen once component availability aligns).

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
BlueVelvet, they just poked a hole in your theory, as it was clearly stated that Apple is "shipping the best products in (their) history."

Well, that statement would hold true even if they just stuck with Moore's Law and updated the CPU every 6 months. The latest machine would by default be better than all those that preceded it and thus the best in the company's history.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Nice to see that apple hasnt been hurt by the ressescion but of course this is after the hollidays and everyone and then some buys something apple related over the holidays being itunes cards or apple products etc. it will be intresting to see what apple can do in a non holliday qt

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Well, that statement would hold true even if they just stuck with Moore's Law and updated the CPU every 6 months. The latest machine would by default be better than all those that preceded it and thus the best in the company's history.

Of course, I just thought it was an amusing statement.

I can't remember the last time Apple stated their current offering were junk, they really had it right a couple of years ago and it all went to hell, they're really sorry and they hope to get it better next quarter.

:D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004

Apple always are producing the best products in their history, even the ill-fated Cube was the best product in their history. There's being an informed consumer and supporter of a company and then there's falling for their spin.

That and the fact that the consumer market is going to laptops in general. I cant remember the last time a friend bought a desktop. (be it Mac or PC)

Anecdotal evidence from your friends doesn't sway me, I'm afraid. Besides, who in anybody's right mind would buy a desktop from Apple at the moment, unless you want an all in one like the iMac? Face it, they've slacked around and tinkered around the edges with the Macs.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
According to this site's own Buyer's Guide, Apple hasn't done jack to any desktop for nine months - the iMac. Then of course there's the Pro and the Mini that haven't been touched in ages either.

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
$10.2 billion revenue just reported on CNBC.

$1.78 earnings per share!!!!

2.524 million Macs sold

4.4 million iPhones sold

22.7 million ipods sold

34.7% gross margins

Low expectations for Q2 though.

7.5-8 Bln.

That exchange basically sums up how Apple stock works.
Apple: "Woohoo we had our best quarter ever. Again."
Market: "Who cares, next one is gonna suck."

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks. I know laptops are popular but by an almost 3-1 margin? Pitiful, and shows the paucity of the current desktop range in offering value and choice.

I think it's less that than Apple's correct prediction that laptops are the way of the future. Desktop machines are going to die out for all but the most robust tasks, and we're going to use laptops (or whatever may succeed them) as our only or at least primary computers.

I know I do, my wife and I each have MacBooks with no interest in having a desktop machine in the house. Most everyone I know at least is considering the same if they aren't already all using laptops.

jW

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Now we just need to get someone at this conference call to ask what's going on with the Mac Mini. :D

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I was very interested to see the iPod results, I was theorizing a few months back that either they would fall as the rest of the market fell (general contraction) or they would increase because when times get tough a lot of people feel more comfort in going with the market leader as they see less risk in the purchase as the leader is more likely to stick around/stay in the market than the smaller players.

Though I had a great laugh at the CNN Money report saying Apple had sold 4.4 Billion iPhones.. yup.. BILLION... talk about market saturation :)

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Wow, some pretty good results during a recession! Hopefully the massive change between desktop-laptop ratio should merit some upgrades soon...

...either that or they'll change focus to laptops!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.