Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I’m not wishing them to lose money but frankly I don’t care how much profit Apple, or any other company for that matter, makes. A company can sell crappy product and make a ton of money while another makes a good product and can’t stay afloat financially.

In the 60’s and 70’s the big 3 auto companies figured out that they could skimp on quality and still make a killing profit wise. Until it finally caught up with them in the mid to late 70’s. Chrysler was basically bankrupt by the early 80’s.

Don’t use money as the sole barometer as to how good a companies product is.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
The more money this company makes the worse the products seem to get (maybe not worse but “meh” compared to the quality they used to put out), at least that has been the case under Tim Cook’s Apple.

Couldn't disagree more. iPhone X is by far the best phone ever made. Meh is what the competition is doing.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
Good for Apple. Between Facebook and Netflix tanking this week my investment accounts have taken a real beating. This news should help bring them back a least little.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
And people are complaining about Tim Cook? LOL
definitely! It's not a pleasure to use new Macs any more. But some people have just money restricted vision. Nothing better can happen than replacement of that weird person.

Doc Evils

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
It's all in the phone sells. If that lose that... womp, womp, womp.

Apple has to remember consumers are finicky.

Apple has become a one product company, which is the exact thing steve jobs always avoided, hence making the iPhone after iPod success.

Tim Cook has no ability to find the next big thing other than milk this boat until it starts to sink when people can't afford the constant price hikes anymore.

For christ sakes, they sold the same amount as last quarter but the only thing that increased was the prices!!!:confused:

Reactions: AlumaMac

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Uh no.
Only impressive if you can’t tell the difference between a balance sheet and income statement.

Microsoft did 8.9b in profit for the entire year.
Apple earned 11.5b during its slowest quarter.

...think you need to do some more research and understand the difference to

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I’m very happy as a shareholder, but I’ve never been less enthusiastic as a consumer of their products. I’m using a Mac from 2013, an iPad from 2014, and an iPhone from 2016, and I can’t see upgrading from any of them in the foreseeable future because I don’t see anything being sold that is a both a decent upgrade and reasonably priced. Do love my AirPods and Apple Watch though. I can see why their wearables business is booming.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I’m not wishing them to lose money but frankly I don’t care how much profit Apple, or any other company for that matter, makes. A company can sell crappy product and make a ton of money while another makes a good product and can’t stay afloat financially.

In the 60’s and 70’s the big 3 auto companies figured out that they could skimp on quality and still make a killing profit wise. Until it finally caught up with them in the mid to late 70’s. Chrysler was basically bankrupt by the early 80’s.

Don’t use money as the sole barometer as to how good a companies product is.
Comparing the auto-industry from the 60's and 70's, to tech companies like Apple in the 21st century is flawed. Diversification of 'products and services' is one key differentiator. Even if Apple stopped selling iPhones, they wouldn't fail. Even if Apple stopped selling every product they made right this second, it would be decades before they ran out of money.
But to say that profit shouldn't be a sole (or key) barometer of a successful company, in a capitalist economy, makes me wonder if you know what Capitalism means?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
That's quite a dip in Mac sales. Hope to see some really good numbers in the 4Q 2018 and an even better 1Q 2019 with the rumoured updates for the remaining Mac lineup.

Watching all the Chrome Books flys off the shelves.
Couldn't disagree more. iPhone X is by far the best phone ever made. Meh is what the competition is doing.

Gen 2 in September is better. ;)

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
A drop of .57 million in Mac sales reflects the keyboard failures as well as the messup of the newer systems firmware.

Apple needs to regroup and think outside of the box if they want to grow the Mac sales. I’m suspecting they are becoming bogged down in the design process and mis-readinging the market.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
The more money this company makes the worse the products seem to get (maybe not worse but “meh” compared to the quality they used to put out), at least that has been the case under Tim Cook’s Apple. They seem to be good enough for most people though because it is still Apple and the brand more or less sells itself at this point with some of their stronger points still in tact, like their; ecosystem, stance on privacy, customer service etc that keeps users ‘locked in’. Doesn’t mean their products and software are as good as they could and should be though.

Anyway, I don’t know why we should be jumping for joy over this, they are just numbers. I kind of wish they tanked so then Apple would be forced to make some much needed changes, like reconsidering Jony Ive’s importance within the company and, oh I don’t know... rehiring Forstall so the software doesn’t suck for another 5 years? Their hardware has been WTF’ery as well with their inferior keyboards, severe lack of ports, notches and protruding camera lenses... Jony Ive just isn’t as good without Steve Jobs as his filter. He has become a burden within the company for me by having talented guys like Forstall fired because the poor fella doesn’t like working with him. I’m sure there’s a few other board members there who need to be canned, Cook just seems to can the wrong ones.

Spot on.

Reactions: DanBig

timlot

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Uh no.
Only impressive if you can’t tell the difference between a balance sheet and income statement.

Microsoft did 8.9b in profit for the entire year.
Apple earned 11.5b during its slowest quarter.

Uh No.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2018-Q4/press-release-webcast
REDMOND, Wash. — July 19, 2018 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the following results for the quarter ended June 30, 2018, as compared to the corresponding period of last fiscal year:

· Revenue was $30.1 billion and increased 17%

· Operating income was $10.4 billion and increased 35%

· Net income was $8.9 billion GAAP and $8.8 billion non-GAAP

Reactions: WannaGoMac

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
That's a very bad optic for Macs, the only major product line that decreased significantly. Even the crappy iPads did better (slight uptick in sales).
Well considering most if not all of the Mac products were stale and constricted, is it really a shocker? And for all of the "move to mobile" hype, Macs - even in their poor state - still outsold iPad revenue. Refresh the damn Mac Mini already, add some realistic ports to the laptops, and cut prices a bit and they would see that number drastically increase. The community is constantly begging for it; I have no idea why Apple is so stubborn in this area.

Reactions: Yvan256
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.