Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The MBA M1 is fantastic. I just hope they don’t mess it up with the redesign next year.

That's why I bought the current M1 Macbook Air now. I like the "classic" Space Gray and black look. I won't be a fan of the rumored Crayolabook MBA. ?

I knew the rumors of the 14" Pro but I just needed an Air. I'm still using Windows on the desktop and my old Toshiba Windows laptop is junky. So basically my M1 Air is for travel. Its long battery life and no fan great! And it's plenty powerful for what I need it to do.

BTW... this is my first Mac! I'm very happy with it.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Goes to say that maybe, when at home and the choice of personal computer is on the hands of the person, people might be more inclined to get a Mac than being given a windows environment at the office.

My personal anecdote, I work at a 99% windows place, when I went work from home I finally switch to Mac 99% with the odd parallels desktop app launch… the employer has no way of realizing that as the job is getting done in droves.

Reactions: Abazigal

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
DC Area
I absolutely love my Air and it's probably more than enough computer for 90% of users, if not more. At $750 it was a relative bargain, too.

Reactions: Shanpdx

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Yeah so don’t screw up a good thing by turning the MBA into a pastel kiddy toy like you did the iMac, Apple.
Same sentiments here, not a fond of colorful MBA

Please just bring back more ports (even if it does not include HDMI AND SDXC slot), MacSafe3 and one additional TB 4 port
Start at 512 GB SSD , Consumers need more storage than pro where they have SANs/NASs
1080p webcam
M2 - whatever little performance boost it can bring, 6 Performance Cores, 2 Efficiency cores like the other MBP, or 4P+4E with increased caches. I am guessing M2 will bring more GPU cores within the power limitations.

nothing much really
14.2 " XDR is not even needed if it is going to bring the price up to $1299, really... 13.3" perfect for MBA at this price point.
upgrade option for 32GB RAM - if possible and again not a deal breaker

Great machine, Apple please do not kill it!!! (with white bezels and colors), if you want to go that route then go MacBook White/Black route and make it $799!!!

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
The MacBook Air is great. Who needs a GPU when you can just use GeForce Now?
GPU is pretty good. GeForce Now needs a super fast connection to be lag free.90% of users can’t have it. Powerful GPU is needed for all other tasks and Apple Silicon delivers and exceed thanks to accelerators and neural engine

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Artsketch

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2019
The M1 MacBook Air is really an excellent device. Let's see how the new Mini LED of the new 14" MacBook Pro with non HDR content compares to the MBA. I don't work with video and 3D so I bought the MBA for image editing and HTMLl/CSS in Visual Studio Code. Because of the pen I use it together with a 12.9" M1 iPad Pro and viewing HDR images.

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
The big success of MBA M1 and the coming of MBP's are the result of:

1. Jony Ive has gone his own ways and (was) made to give the way free for reasonable products with multiple sockets (they just forgot to give one USB A – because so many people still use and exchange it) and MagSafe and a stable keyboard without Touch Bar.

2. Apple give every product the best features and abilities possible and do not further suppress free competition between e.g. MBA / MBP or MBA / iPad Pro.

3. Change to Apple chip architecture.

Right decisions and good products at market after an austerity period of 5 (!) years

Well done! ? ? :apple:

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
The big success of MBA M1 and the coming of MBP's are the result of:

1. Jony Ive has gone his own ways and (was) made to give the way free for reasonable products with multiple sockets (they just forgot to give one USB A – because so many people still use and exchange it) and MagSafe and a stable keyboard without Touch Bar.

2. Apple give every product the best features and abilities possible and do not further suppress free competition between e.g. MBA / MBP or MBA / iPad Pro.

3. Change to Apple chip architecture.

Right decisions and good products at market after an austerity period of 5 (!) years

Well done! ? ? :apple:

Well I think you are a little early to the party, like some other people here, maybe you didn't actually read the article but this is not about the new MacBook Pro's (its a little early to have sales figures for a product you have only just started to ship). This is about the MacBook Air M1 (which was an Ive's design and does not have, as you say, 'Multiple Sockets'...).

I agree the change to Apple architecture is definitely a significant point in the popularity of the latest Air. In many ways, Apple Silicon has come a little late and I hope they keep the 13" MacBook Pro going (and don't dramatically change the air design). Ive's design is still the best laptop design on the market IMHO, and the Apple Silicon thermals make it possible to have a stella design and high performance. My M1 Pro never gets hot, the fans rarely come on and its very clear the machine could have a much more powerful Apple Silicon processor in it without burning your legs.

Reactions: Artsketch

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Goes to say that maybe, when at home and the choice of personal computer is on the hands of the person, people might be more inclined to get a Mac than being given a windows environment at the office.

My personal anecdote, I work at a 99% windows place, when I went work from home I finally switch to Mac 99% with the odd parallels desktop app launch… the employer has no way of realizing that as the job is getting done in droves.
Kinda scary your work network lets unidentified / unserialized hardware connect to it.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I'm now considering an M1 Air because of the rumored redesign of the M2 Air. I prefer the wedge design.

Reactions: Reason077

Ted Lasso

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2020
UK
I love my M1 Air. They’ve really hit it out of the park with the move away from Intel. Just think what the next quarter will be with the new MBPs.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Of course demand for the M1 MacBook Air is high, its not $1299. I don't think they will have as much demand for the MacBook Air if they raise the price on it and I am sure that is what they will do.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I hope the M2 Air comes in with the most garish Pastel colors just to piss off the “computers must be boring and gray” crowd.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mahieu

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Love my M1 Air, I’m seriously considering picking up another one for the wife. Costco are doing the M1 air with 16GB and 2TB for £1599.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.