Apple Reports Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever With $5.99 Billion Profit for Q2 2011

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68030
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think Apple's financial results would have been better if they had more iPad 2's to sell.

Unfortunately, we could see a worse-off quarter for Apple the next time because the effects of the parts shortages from Japan may start affecting the bottom line, despite what Apple claims currently.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Another great quarter.
Regarding the cash on hand situation, which now sits at around $65 Billion... I remember Steve was quoted somewhere as saying (and this was a long time ago, maybe a decade or so) that he always wants enough cash on hand to run a company in the red for <blank> years before going bankrupt. I say <blank> because I can't remember the figure he used.. This may tie into why there is so much cash in reserve beyond the normal amount a company should have for acquisitions, emergencies, etc etc... Apple makes a lot of cash, but also spends a lot just to run the company.

Also.... I'll just leave this here:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I hope all of the big oil companies have a record year for profits too. It's worth it to me to pay $4 gal for gas to help it come true.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Growth stocks don't generally pay dividends. Dividend paying stocks are a safety move, trading dividends for share price growth, and are meant to attract investors. Apple doesn't need to do that.
Be happy with the insane growth.
Actually, companies which are not prostituting themselves out to the market don't pay dividends (at least in the US).

Dividends is just a way to make yourself poorer, what with the double taxation that is involved.

Stay away from companies paying dividends (about the only time it makes sense is a stable company like MS, during a downturn).

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Key to take away from this Report is:

besides the great Success Apple has had … these court proceedings vs Samsung is going to be costly EITHER way.

Q: Samsung lawsuit?
A: We are samsung's largest customer. Samsung is a very valued component supplier for us. We felt the mobile division of Samsung has cross the line and have had to now rely on the courts.
It's HIGH time Apple boost internal knowledge and production from chip source Intrinsity or look to the big dogs:
Texas Instruments: Big Dog
NVidia: strong roll-out giving the Big Dog a run for its colar.
Freescale: great at low power consumption yet they need to innovate (former division of Motorola's PowerPC department)
etc.

fordyingseasons

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Cupertino, CA
And? They are still losing marketshare. Apple is growing much slower than the market. And yes Android ships more *phones* than Apple ships *total* iOS *devices* (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) per quarter (40 million Android smartphones compared to 33 million iOS devices).
Yes and if Apple gave away iOS for free to all the OEMs then i'm sure Apple would be right up their with Android in market share. Heck, while Apple was at it they might as well spend all their earnings like Google did last quarter. What's Google's stock price right now??...PATHETIC thats what.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
No kidding, that line is always so long. But, when did McDonald's stop calling them customers and start calling them clients? Smart move, either way.
I enjoyed this post immensely. Everybody--everybody--here, has "clients".

I hope all of the big oil companies have a record year for profits too. It's worth it to me to pay $4 gal for gas to help it come true.
I enjoyed this post immensely as well. As someone in the chemical/nuclear engineering industry, my clients always gripe and complain about corporate greed when big bad oil makes $10 billion in profit in a quarter, but when Apple does it everyone sings their praises as their money goes right into Steve Jobs's bank account and talks about how great it is that the money they've worked for sits somewhere cross-country in the form of numbers on paper.

What I do know though, is that the Apple computers I've had have been the most unreliable machines I've ever used, and that stock is going to be hit hard sooner or later when Steve checks out. Given his high visibility, that stock will go down quite a bit when he dies, and the double-edge to that sword is that given his high visibility, it may have trouble recovering in the wake.

Apple also hasn't made a decent iPod since the 5G nano. Apple doesn't care about the iPod, that's certainly clear with a 17% decline YoY...I noticed nobody's talking about that in this thread. Their last iPod nano was nothing but a travesty, I'd hardly call that "innovating". Stuck at 16 GB for the last three years is pathetic, too.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
I enjoyed this post immensely as well. As someone in the chemical/nuclear engineering industry, my clients always gripe and complain about corporate greed when big bad oil makes $10 billion in profit in a quarter, but when Apple does it everyone sings their praises as their money goes right into Steve Jobs's bank account and talks about how great it is that the money they've worked for sits somewhere cross-country in the form of numbers on paper.
"Steve Jobs' bank account" eh? You appear not to know how corporations work.

And if my money is going to line someone's pockets, I'd rather it be someone who returns the favor by making my life more enjoyable rather than someone who will gouge me for a natural resource I need to transport me to the job to earn the money to pay for that natural resource, exploiting every war and rumor of war to charge me ever more for the privilege.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I hope the oil companies make huge profits too. Without them, I wouldn't have gas to drive to work. So what if gas is $5 a gallon, they work hard to get that oil out of the ground. Same for my electric company. They provide me with some high tech electricity to power my Apple products. And the supermarkets, for selling me food so I can survive. They truly deserve to make billions. Same for the health insurance companies. I'd like to see BCBS make at least 5 billion a quarter for providing my health care.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
hahaha

I told you guys that appl would never get close to selling 50M iPads this year. 4M in the first quarter looks more 12-15M than 50M.

lol

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
The numbers in graphs:
http://www.macworld.com/article/159363/2011/04/apple_2q_earnings_2011.html

I'm very surprised at the strong iPhone sales. I had never expected this change of pace in Q4 2010 and onwards when Android competition has been stronger than ever.

It's interesting to note that the Mac sales have followed the iPhone sales although with less wildly rocketing sales. Clearly a synergy effect here.

Those worried about the Mac can take comfort in that they're still making better revenue than the iPad. :) Additionally - when the iPads have been on the rise, the Macs have been too.

Last edited:

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Android isn't hurting iPhone sales, in my opinion. Because Apple can't even meet demand and is continuing to grow at crazy speeds.

Schizoid

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
UK
Apple sold nearly 5 million iPads last quarter... now this sounds good to me, why are the media reporting this as "disappointing." Am I missing something here? Surely this should be at least "pretty good."

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Agreed, but the latest nano is pretty poor, was surprised, seems very unapple-like. There is room for a good ultra portable small music player (gyms etc, I see so many ipods) and for them to please, please make a good quality headphone as standard, the ones that come with ipods (of any price) is pathetic. So, let's see what they do.
Why should they make good quality headphones? Seriously, I really don't think that makes any sense for apple or the consumer. Just think about it. Anyone who is serious about getting a nice music listening experience with their iPods will buy some good headphones or did already anyway. So when apple adds high quality headphones to their ipod line (making every ipod cost like 50 EUR more) everyone who already has headphones they like very much (For example I bought some Shures for 100 EUR) would be very very pissed off at buying useless headphones for 50 EUR they never wanted to buy.
As much as I see that a high quality product such as the iPod classic is bundled with something as cheap as the apple earbuds, I just don't want to be forced in buying an expensive headphone which I probably won't like (sound or comfort). Imagine buying a new amplifier for your hifi system and they come bundled with what the producer thought were okay speakers.
Just wanted to clarify that one as this is a very common complain about the iPod line which I just don't see at all.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Great figures, especially for the PC sales.

The desktop is coming to an end. I'm not surprised - the current 2011 laptops make even better desktop ( exclude Mac Pro ) replacements than before... the graphic cards is the weakspot though.

If Apple sold just over a million desktops, I wonder how many of them where Mac Pros ( so I wonder how long until Apple ditch those :-( ).

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Why should they make good quality headphones? Seriously, I really don't think that makes any sense for apple or the consumer.
Why should Ferrari put good tires on their cars?

Just think about it; here's a company championing (used to, anyway) their music player and how great the experience was, but then at the same time made sure that the final product (the music that enters your head) sounds like total ass because of 10 cent headphones they include with their premium product.

Same thing applies to Ferrari--why build an awesome car that's made for great performance, and then put 10 cent tires on it, resulting in a poor final product in terms of end-user experience?

A premium music player is useless without good headphones, just as a premium car is useless without good tires.

Putting crappy headphones in the box of a premium priced/marketed product is an oxymoron, and a bit of an insult to the consumer. And spare the "Oh but that would cost too much for the consumer", because that wouldn't exactly flow with everyone praising a $6B profit quarter.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Why should Ferrari put good tires on their cars?

Just think about it; here's a company championing (used to, anyway) their music player and how great the experience was, but then at the same time made sure that the final product (the music that enters your head) sounds like total ass because of 10 cent headphones they include with their premium product.

Same thing applies to Ferrari--why build an awesome car that's made for great performance, and then put 10 cent tires on it, resulting in a poor final product in terms of end-user experience?

A premium music player is useless without good headphones, just as a premium car is useless without good tires.

Putting crappy headphones in the box of a premium priced/marketed product is an oxymoron, and a bit of an insult to the consumer. And spare the "Oh but that would cost too much for the consumer", because that wouldn't exactly flow with everyone praising a $6B profit quarter.
What would be the alternative? Put some Dr. Dre head phones in the box and have the iPod cost $80 more? To what end?

Very few people care about the quality of the headphones that come with iPods. For those that do, they can buy nice set of headphones and not worry about the 10 cent ones that Apple puts in the box.

If Apple put in a half decent set of headphones and increased the price by, say $20, the folks that want even better headphones would complain that they have to pay an extra $20 for headphones they'll never use.

Last edited:

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The stock market is benefitting from AAPL. I think the revision of AAPL's influence on the market will be reevaluated again.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
What would be the alternative? Put some Dr. Dre head phones in the box and have the iPod cost $80 more? To what end?

Very few people care about the quality of the headphones that come with iPods. For those that do, they can buy nice set of headphones and not worry about the 10 cent ones that Apple puts in the box.

If Apple put in a half decent set of headphones and increased the price by, say $20, the folks that want even better headphones would complain that they have to pay an extra $20 for headphones they'll never use.
This is exactly my point--here we are saying that tons of people would complain about paying an extra $20 for headphones that weren't total garbage, but we are also saying how great it is that Apple sticks 6 billion dollars in the bank for three months' work, free and clear. So which is it? You want to line the pockets of the richest of the rich further, or you don't want to pay the extra $20 for decent headphones?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
This is exactly my point--here we are saying that tons of people would complain about paying an extra $20 for headphones that weren't total garbage, but we are also saying how great it is that Apple sticks 6 billion dollars in the bank for three months' work, free and clear. So which is it? You want to line the pockets of the richest of the rich further, or you don't want to pay the extra $20 for decent headphones?
I'm a capitalist, so I'm going to side with Apple on this one. For me, if/when I buy an iPod, the standard (read crappy) headphones are fine. I don't expect Apple to include decent headphones (and eat the costs) when everyone else includes the same crappy headphones. It's not good business. Apple is in business to make money for the shareholders. Sometimes, business decisions can be beneficial to the shareholders and the consumers, but when it's an either-or sitiuation, the shareholder is gonna win.

The fact that Apple is raking in huge profits is irrelevant in the argument as you've framed. Including decent headphones at the same overall price would do very little to increase sales, but it would hurt the bottom line. Adding in other "marketable" features while keeping costs the same would, in theory, increase sales, so they would make up for the losses with higher volumes.

But I do understand your point. I'm still pissed that no one includes a USB cable with a new printer.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Apple doesn't give a damn about the shareholders any more than they do about the customers, sorry.