Apple Reports Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever With $5.99 Billion Profit for Q2 2011

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Why? :confused:

They've held this strategy for over two decades and the only time they were in trouble, financially, was when they abandoned it.

Methinks you know tech a whole lot better than you do how to run a business.
Apple has been the extreme minority in selling personal computers since 1986. Their pc marketshare has been below 10% for how long? 20+ years...and still is even though they are selling like hotcakes.

I like the Macs...I also like the Wintels. And I also, as a consumer, am not going to plunk down $1200+ for a Mac when a $600-$700 PC will allow me to do 100% of the same stuff just using different name-brand-products. :) And other consumers who are out there looking to buy a new computer to surf the web, play music, surf Youtube, upload pix, go to Facebook, use online chat, read email, (and a billion other online activities) are going to ask themselves "why am I spending $1200 for a Mac using Firefox when I can buy a $600 PC using the same Firefox?"

I don't want to go too off topic but suffice to say these days, so much pc time is spent online that you could be using any computer manufacturer/OS in the world that supports Firefox or Safari or IE and you'd have the same experience. Why spend double?

Tigger11

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Cash on Hand

I didnt see a Cash on Hand number thrown out, last quarter is was $59.8B it apprears. Also does anyone know which numbers from the the consolidated data they actually use to give them that benchmark.
Thanks,
-Tig

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
It has a 315 billion market cap, it's not "growing" to $1 trillion, sorry. Apple is a mature company.

1 trillion is far fetched, but the market cap has grown almost 10x in the past 5 years....6-7% since December. It is still very much a growth stock.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
You can't beat the 0.75% returns they are getting on all the cash?
Either you trust the strategic vision of the company, or you do not. If you do not, you should not invest.

Paying dividends and crashing the share price of a fast growing growth stock is moronic. You do recognize there is a direct relationship between dividends paid and drop in share price?

If you want to beat the .75% return because you don't think the company has a good strategic plan, sell some of your position , the net effect is exactly the same. The bonus is that you are now less heavily invested in a company you do not believe in.

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
All these crazy profits quarter after quarter, and they can't lower the prices...

Unreal greed.
Not greed at all. Likely some of the value of your parent's or grandparent's retirement funds (or maybe your friend's) might well partially depend on Apple stock. If Apple didn't sustain a strong bottom line when they could, those retirement funds could sue Apple for scr*wing your old relatives out of some of their retirement investment as the value of the stock tanks.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
I didnt see a Cash on Hand number thrown out, last quarter is was $59.8B it apprears. Also does anyone know which numbers from the the consolidated data they actually use to give them that benchmark.
Thanks,
-Tig
Cash was 65.xB. Not sure about the other numbers.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
All these crazy profits quarter after quarter, and they can't lower the prices...

Unreal greed.
It's not greed. They make a good product that people want and are willing to pay for.

Is it greed because my client list has an addendum that is a waiting-to-be-my-client list? I'm good at what I do, people want what I do and they're willing to pay me at my current rate. Why would I drop that rate? I'm not a charity. Apparently this is a level at which my business sustains. Considering the waiting list, I'm probably not charging enough. If my clients disappear, then I drop my rate or make other sacrifices to rebuild my client base.

I don't think you understand supply and demand.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
What a cash machine. These guys are just printing money these days. What a difference compared to just a few years ago....

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
It's not greed. They make a good product that people want and are willing to pay for.

Is it greed because my client list has an addendum that is a waiting-to-be-my-client list? I'm good at what I do, people want what I do and they're willing to pay me at my current rate. ....
No kidding, that line is always so long. But, when did McDonald's stop calling them customers and start calling them clients? Smart move, either way.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Help the Homeless!

I don't want to go too off topic but suffice to say these days, so much pc time is spent online that you could be using any computer manufacturer/OS in the world that supports Firefox or Safari or IE and you'd have the same experience. Why spend double?
OK, I'll bite. Why spend anything at all? Why not go down to the library and use their computers for free?

The homeless bum thinks you're crazy for spending $600 on a computer when you can get the same experience for free.

You think we Applites are crazy for spending $1,200 on a computer when you can get the same experience for $600.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
What a cash machine. These guys are just printing money these days. What a difference compared to just a few years ago....
I would like to think that apple is getting payed for their hard work and innovation...

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Agreed, but the latest nano is pretty poor, was surprised, seems very unapple-like. There is room for a good ultra portable small music player (gyms etc, I see so many ipods) and for them to please, please make a good quality headphone as standard, the ones that come with ipods (of any price) is pathetic. So, let's see what they do.
I bought a new nano specifically for the gym, I have a 160gb Classic that stays in my car, and an iPhone. Still love the dedicated for music iPods.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Apple has been the extreme minority in selling personal computers since 1986. Their pc marketshare has been below 10% for how long? 20+ years...and still is even though they are selling like hotcakes.

I like the Macs...I also like the Wintels. And I also, as a consumer, am not going to plunk down $1200+ for a Mac when a $600-$700 PC will allow me to do 100% of the same stuff just using different name-brand-products. :) And other consumers who are out there looking to buy a new computer to surf the web, play music, surf Youtube, upload pix, go to Facebook, use online chat, read email, (and a billion other online activities) are going to ask themselves "why am I spending $1200 for a Mac using Firefox when I can buy a $600 PC using the same Firefox?"

No one wants to pluck down $6-$700 as you claim every other year as their Windows PC's fall a part. I'd rather just throw down for a Mac that will withstand the test of time.

3GEE

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I am guilty to be contributing to this. If I had never bought my iPhone 3GS in October 2009 I would not be buying a 27" iMac this year at 2011 refresh as well as getting an iPad2 by year's end. I also will be upgrading to iPhone 5. So yes if it wasn't for the IOS device I wouldn't be helping the Mac revenue. The IOS devices are definitely bringing new customers for the Mac
Interesting, I'm the exact opposite. Almost three years ago I bought an iMac on the urging of a friend. The experience was great, so much so I now own two iphones and an iPad in addition to the iMac. It can go in both directions.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
OK, I'll bite. Why spend anything at all? Why not go down to the library and use their computers for free?

The homeless bum thinks you're crazy for spending $600 on a computer when you can get the same experience for free.

You think we Applites are crazy for spending $1,200 on a computer when you can get the same experience for $600.
I can do it in my house that's why. Minimum cost to do this IN MY HOUSE. Cost plays a major role in most people's decisions to buy things. Generally I've found that once you cross a threshold price, your computer has much less problems (read the reviews and stuff to make sure its still good).

I've got two windows desktops, one from 1992 and one from 2000 and they both worked as of last year (now in basement). So windows computers can last longer than a year (ChrisTX). LOL at my school they have computers from 2004 and most work fine (not all, but you know what kids do) they are due for an upgrade.