Apple Reports Q3 2019 Results: $10B Profit on $53.8B Revenue, Highest June Quarter Revenue Ever

Rocketman

macrumors 603
If they put app store revenues and in app sales into that, it is capped at 30% less costs. They probably associate most server costs with this business segment, lowering it further.

Apple originated services are much higher than average margin.

Also stated a big portion of the services "miss" was exchange rates. I can see that. No idea the magnitude, but under 3% on $11.4B.
Today exchange rates had yet another leg of change with US stocks down some 2% and Apple announcing it will absorb some of the tariff and exchange cost. This is a nod to China who otherwise would have had to haul that whole thing. Things are happening. Will China join the world of nations in free trade? It is an open question.

Their current answers are no and not likely soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The word "incompetent" aside (which was used and I thought you were alluding to Jony Ive https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/will-apple-eliminate-the-notch-in-2019.2132842/page-3#post-27598541), the lack of seeing the bigger picture, has been, imo, an endemic here. Armchair CEOs and CFOs reign supreme and so far, most of them have gotten little right about apple.
It should come as no surprise that the people who criticise Apple the loudest perhaps understand Apple the least.

Therein lies the great hypocrisy. Yes, if I were to keep parroting the same tired “Apple is doomed” refrain day after day, month after month, year after year, there may well come a way when Apple’s fortunes do wane and I am eventually proven right.

This may not happen tomorrow. It may not happen in the next decade. It may not happen in my lifetime ever. I suppose I should resign myself to the fact that for as long as I am fit and able to browse this forum, such proclamations will continue to be a constant fixture. The norm, rather than the exception.

And here’s the thing. Even if Apple does fail one day and the critics are finally proven right, it would have come after having being proven wrong about Apple for so many decades running that in the greater scheme of things, they would have been wrong.

Like a broken clock which technically still shows the correct time twice a day, but I certainly won’t classify it as “working” by any means.

I suppose I should feel fortuitous that I can at least seek solace in the fact that Apple’s fortunes are not in any way reliant on random Macrumours comments or how vocal their critics get.

Apple will go on being Apple, and go on to be bigger and more profitable for it, which will in turn tick off the haters. The cycle renews and well, that’s just the way she goes.

Reactions: I7guy

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Will China join the world of nations in free trade? It is an open question.

Their current answers are no and not likely soon.
Yep. The simple answer to that question will forevermore be “NO”

China just devalued their currency, offsetting the trade tariffs, and technically making purchases even cheaper now for dollar buyers.

The smart move would be for the US to follow suit, but the consequences to the US for dropping their currency would be more painful than to China. The US has basically handed China the advantage by starting the tariffs games.

The smarter would have been to subsidize any US merchants that move their manufacturing out of China and into neighboring, competitive countries (like China or Vietnam) - funny, which is exactly what Apple (through Foxconn) is doing.

When vast manufacturing areas in China shut down and fire people in favor of other countries, the mounting unemployed will exert their own pressure on China.

This administration isn’t smart enough to realize that, sadly. This would be easy to win.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
It should come as no surprise that the people who criticise Apple the loudest perhaps understand Apple the least.
While this is true to a certain degree, this is far more so for the fanbois that cut Apple the most slack, and to whom Apple can never, ever, make a mistake.

The issue with the perennial Apple critics is that there are many things to critique about Apple, yet the ones they argue about are not it.

Likewise, for fanbois, there are a great many areas to critique Apple on, yet they will forevermore pretend that nothing can ever be a mistake.

This happened with every cycle of mistakes in the past, all through the mistakes being corrected (like the failure of the 2013 Mac Pro, or the 4-Red-LED-Button iPod, or the Mac cube, or the original iMac mouse atrocity, including the current X-series iPhone mistakes)

Watch and observe.

rgbrock1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2016
SC
So how about listing some of the ways that this will be to the detriment of people?
So you don't mind that Google knows: everywhere you've ever been? Every place you've ever shopped? Scans every email you have on Google's servers? (Assuming you use Gmail) Follows you around the Internet no matter where you go? Knows every search you ever performed?

I don't know about you but I have big problems with the above.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
So how about listing some of the ways that this will be to the detriment of people?
You are perfectly illustrating people that stick their head in the sand and don’t care what google does, or how it affects you.

You are Google’s product, and they have repeatedly and consistently show to be an unethical and dishonest player (no different than Facebook).

I prefer to be the customer, not the product.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
You are perfectly illustrating people that stick their head in the sand and don’t care what google does, or how it affects you.

You are Google’s product, and they have repeatedly and consistently show to be an unethical and dishonest player (no different than Facebook).

I prefer to be the customer, not the product.
So how about listing ways in which this is detrimental to me?