Apple Resale value - what a joke!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPadThai, Feb 24, 2011.

1. iPadThai, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011

iPadThai macrumors 6502a

I've always believed in products that are quality name brand product should fetch high resale value if that product is in mint quality condition...but this is just too funny.

Product I have for sale due to the release of the new 2011 macbook pro 17". My current stock (in mint condition no scratches no damages, pristine):

Macbook pro Unibody 5,2 model
    Intel 2.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM
    500GB Seagate Momentus XT HDD
    17" Glossy
    18-cycle used battery.

Here is the quote I got from "The Mac Store":

[​IMG]

If this is the general case for owners of apple products, then I'll just say that Apple branded hardware is the biggest rip off on the planet. Not only do you lose all your money the brand image isn't worth jack. There's no point in buying a lower spec MAC than a PC with better specs for a cheaper price!

2. snaky69, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011

snaky69 macrumors 603

You do know that resale value means the actual sale of it and not trading it in?

Kind of like trading in a car at a dealership will net you a lot less money than selling it on your own.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This isn't actually a resale and to base resale value of Macs on this is misleading

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

They have to resell it at a profit; why would you expect top-dollar on the trade in? What are the machines going for on Craigslist or eBay would be the question.

But why have a laptop at all if you only took it off the plug 18 times?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's when sold to a third party. They have higher resale values on places like eBay.

6. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Your post makes no sense. Macs have high resale value. Once place you talked to did not give you a good price. So your assumption from that is that Macs have poor resale value? Really?

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Agreed. You'd get a crap ton more on eBay, Craigslist, etc.

8. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Ebay is your best bet now:/ sometimes I really hate apple....

9. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trade in is the same as re-sale. Except this store calls it a trade in so you have to buy a new device from them with your store credit.

I'm not knocking on Apple gear because I have sold some in the past and I posted this just to say how does some of these apple dealers lowball you so bad, it's just the same way used car dealership do.

10. jchase2057 macrumors regular

Of course apple isnt going to give you much for your laptop. They hold their value very well if you sell them yourself on craigslist or whatever.

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

eBay my friend, eBay.

My guess is you could get at least $1,400 your MBP.

12. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does having my laptop plugged in all the time have to do with anything? You use your laptop the way you choose - I have 18 battery cycle counts. It's a pristine laptop. I'm not expecting more than $1400 tops in this current condition. I was surprised at the estimated value: $804. I believe Best Buy's generic trade in program offers even lower!

13. TheHoff macrumors 6502

How in the world is trading in something the same as reselling it to someone else? The store then has to take your machine, wipe it, reinstall, make sure nothing is wrong with it, then wait for someone else to buy it. That costs them money and time.

If you just sold it on Craigslist, you'd probably get 20%+ more.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

OP - this is kind of like trading in a car and to a dealership and expecting full resale value toward your trade. Resale value is what the market will pay you. And Apple products generally hold value well compared with other maufaturers' products. So sell it on the free market.

15. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You don't have to take the deal. Everyone wants to make or save money. It's like a pawn shop. How hard up are you? If it was within Apples return policy they would trade it in and swap with a small restock fee. But It is probably out of that 1 week - 1 month (I forget) return policy and is now considered used. Makes no difference if you rub it with mink oil every night. It is slow tech now. Hard for anyone to resell.

16. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Indeed; use it how you want. It just seems an odd use case to buy a laptop then leave it plugged in constantly, but do what you want. My 2008 C2D original battery has 1,900 cycles and still registers at 91% health and lasts nearly the same as my new battery.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wait, did you buy your computer just for resale value?

18. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Of course these websites will offer you a lot less money than if you would sell it on eBay, they want to make a profit. It's like going to Cashconverters in the UK and expecting them to pay you what the item is actually worth, they NEVER do, otherwise they would be out of business, instead they rip you off :cool:

19. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

well you are selling it to them am I not right here? What's the difference here? In fact if you look at a trade in like a car trade in you get shafted. I'm just asking for $1400 but I was very surprised to see $804. If this apple 3rd party company can lowball like this perhaps the Apple brand is really just not that valuable.

I'm going to try CL for local deals and then Ebay. The new macbook pro's are way too fast (3x) to be exact than my current setup. I'm using Esata and I could use some harry potter port for more speed when editing and encoding videos.

20. dwhynman macrumors regular

Sell it privately you will get a lot more money. I just sold a 2008 15" macbook pro for 1300 you should be getting a lot more for yours. I think I was offered $480 dollars for mine from a site like you are talking about before I sold mine on ebay

21. iPadThai thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol - yea right.

22. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

You answered your own questions. You are trading in and older computer to get credit to purchase a new computer. The reason why dealerships and this mac trade in are offering you far less money than a private buyer would, is because they do resale leg work instead of you doing it. The benefit to you is that you don't have to wait around a month, two months for somebody to make you an offer. So instead you save time. You get a guaranteed offer on your machine, and you get to skip the hassle of trying to find a private buyer. It's time versus money. The tradeoff is of course you get less for your machine. You are paying a price, so to speak, for the convenience.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly why it's NOT re-sale and is a trade-in instead. Apple has overhead, they have to resell and it sits on the shelf till that happens. All that costs them money. You may as well be selling it to a pawn shop.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Or there are suckers willing to part with used computer for a song. :rolleyes:

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Did you buy your laptop as an investment piece? That would be silly.