Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
"Back in the day" this was a trick used to lighten cars for racing. You would drill holes right through support structors, wheels, suspension components, you name it, and if done correctly you didn't lose any rigidity whatsoever - but every hole you drilled reduced weight just that tiniest amount. Drill enough holes, correctly, and you could shave quite a bit of weight off. The reality was that people didn't really understand what they were doing and often weakened cars and components. So Apple will really have to do their homework to actually make this work without losing structural integrity. Still, I've seen this done even today on Autocross cars to a limited extent (amateur motorsports with vastly reduced safety requirements due to not being a wheel-to-wheel style of racing). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightening_holes

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
"Back in the day" this was a trick used to lighten cars for racing. You would drill holes right through support structors, wheels, suspension components, you name it, and if done correctly you didn't lose any rigidity whatsoever - but every hole you drilled reduced weight just that tiniest amount. Drill enough holes, correctly, and you could shave quite a bit of weight off. The reality was that people didn't really understand what they were doing and often weakened cars and components. So Apple will really have to do their homework to actually make this work without losing structural integrity. Still, I've seen this done even today on Autocross cars to a limited extent (amateur motorsports with vastly reduced safety requirements due to not being a wheel-to-wheel style of racing). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightening_holes

That's really cool to know but all I can think of now is this:

Speed Holes lol

NeoSe7en

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2017
Take a close look at the speaker grill on a phone that’s been in use for more than a year and then let me know if you think this is a good idea.

• Sad
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Seems like this would not work well with an iPhone if you wanted to put a case in it.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
"Back in the day" this was a trick used to lighten cars for racing. You would drill holes right through support structors, wheels, suspension components, you name it, and if done correctly you didn't lose any rigidity whatsoever - but every hole you drilled reduced weight just that tiniest amount.

Well the principle dates back 1000s of years (any building with an arch in it) and the math involved has been mastered at least 200 years ago.......

johnnyenv

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
Surely a joke?

There is no point to apply this to the 2013 Mac Pro. Because its fundamentally built around a thermal core drawing air upwards and out naturally. This bodes no improvement. Thats why this is a joke.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It would be great for cooling on Macs, the rear like that on an iMac could look very nice. It wouldn't be so good for those with Trypophobia (a fear of clusters of holes), but it has potential for everyone else.

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
I seriously love my trashcan. I run a ton of VMs and do some light video work, and regularly soak up 50% of my 128gb ram, and often have the CPU and GPUs pegged out for hours at a time. It's so nice how small and quiet it is (I run the fan at max using MacFansControl, and you can still barely hear it). I would hate having a tower and how large it is, and I like using my own screen setup, so the iMac Pro didn't make sense for me. Would love a cube!!! When they made the cube, it wasn't a replacement for the tower....they offered both. I think that's a great idea. Still make a tower, but also offer a cube or whatever as an in-between

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Make the whole iPhone out of brushed aluminium! More durable, less fingerprints, better thermal conductivity because the entire body is now a heatsink. SOLVED. Where's my royalties?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Reminds me of the iPhone 5c cases.
1617134261294.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.