Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Sounds strange, but as the iPhone becomes more and more refined, they’re going to have to find some way to differentiate a new design. This would certainly be one way to do it.

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
What about cleaning it? Clean freaks would go nuts with the dirt that would get stuck
An iMac with these holes should be better for cleaning as currently most internals are far from any hole, a vacuum attachment that has a brush should work well. Ideally the back would be removable for cleaning, and also allow access to user swappable RAM and SSDs (I know that is very optimistic).

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
Well, Apple could enlarge the holes to accomodate the camera lenses to get rid of the camera bump. :)

Seriously, I think that it could work for the Mac mini Pro/Mac Pro mini/whatever it’ll be named.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
This is the dumbest dust bunny collecting idea I have heard yet...

Teppic24

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
Really, Apple? You really think that people will like the idea of putting a cheese grater in their pockets?. To say nothing of the amount of lint that would get trapped in it. That thing would be a bugger to keep all the crud out of it.

Reactions: 5105973

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's described there as a sub-surface element, meaning if they used it in a phone, you would never see it.

This.

The lattice design reduces the amount of material needed while retaining strength and durability, so this could be on the underside of panels, etc. Reduce the amount of metal on the inside surfaces, likely by half, not the outside where it can be seen. It's a smart area of research.

Reactions: araadt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.