Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple sources, including the Washington Post, are reporting that Apple has given up its membership in the the U.S. Chamber of Commerce over the Chamber's stance on climate change legislation.

In a letter to Thomas J. Donohue, President and CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Apple's Vice President of Worldwide Government Affairs, Catherine A. Novelli, stated Apple's position and submitted Apple's resignation.
Apple is committeed to protecting the environment and the communities in which we operate around the world. We strongly object to the Chamber's recent comments opposing the EPA's effort to limit greenhouse gases.
Apple supports regulating greenhouse gas emissions, and it is frustrating to find the Chamber at odds with us in this effort. We would prefer that the Chamber take a more progressive stance on this critical issue and play a construtive role in addressing the climate crisis. However, because the Chamber's position differs so sharply with Apple's, we have decided to resign our membership effective immediately.
The Chamber's stance on regulation was stated in its Five Positions on Energy and the Environment and a press release.

Apple is not the first organization to resign from the Chamber over this issue. California's largest utility, Pacific Gas and Electric Co., and other companies have similarly resigned. This is not the first time Apple has taken a position on a controversial social issue.

Apple recently launched an environmental publicity initiative.

Article Link: Apple Resigns from U.S. Chamber of Commerce over Climate Change Stance

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
After years of Apple being beat down by non-profits for not being environmentally friendly, and Apple not giving much of a damn, they've not only come 'round, but are becoming activists? Eh?

I smell marketing campaign. Apple needs some way to sell people on atom-powered iMacs, probably.

"But this new iMac is a piece of junk!"

"No! All of our competitors are using evil Core i7s! We're being eco friendly!"

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Good for Apple, chamber of commerce is near worthless when it comes to our environment and Apple knows it.
The Chamber of Commerce is worse then worthless; it's harmful. The Chamber and all its state and local conclaves are just a bunch of rich people who oppose anything that might prevent them from becoming richer people. That doesn't mean that they're wrong on every issue... only the ones where there are two opposing sides, one of which is more moral than the other.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Glad to see Apple making a stand for a better environment. It would be nice if they could follow this up with inventing a new renewable energy source :)

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
The Chamber of Commerce is worse then worthless; it's harmful. The Chamber and all its state and local conclaves are just a bunch of rich people who oppose anything that might prevent them from becoming richer people. That doesn't mean that they're wrong on every issue... only the ones where there are two opposing sides, one of which is more moral than the other.

Exactly my experience as well. Good ridance.

hagjohn

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Good. I have no idea about the climate change stuff but I do know that I like to live in a clean environment. I'd like to be able to breath clean air, eat healthy non-toxic food and drink clean water.

depaulsunny

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Way to go Apple!!

I am 100% with you on this. Way to show them.. Even more reasons why I know I make the right choice every time I buy an Apple product.:apple:

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
After years of Apple being beat down by non-profits for not being environmentally friendly, and Apple not giving much of a damn, they've not only come 'round, but are becoming activists? Eh?

Could it be that after his health issues and recent transplant Steve has found that there are more important things than making his 9th billion dollars. This could be real.

Being responsible is also good marketing. Not just responsible with the environment but in all ways. People see you did something right in one area that they can see and then (wrongly or rightly) think you must being doing the same in places they don't see. People will judge you based on reputation.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
Why was Apple involved in the Chamber to begin with? Like, what benefit did it provide and now that they've resigned, what harm could come from it? I don't know very much about this, could someone fill me in?

Jonny75

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Good for Apple and Good for MacRumours for removing the idiot reply someone left with a non-ironic avatar before I could complain!

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

I smell marketing campaign. Apple needs some way to sell people on atom-powered iMacs, probably.

"But this new iMac is a piece of junk!"

"No! All of our competitors are using evil Core i7s! We're being eco friendly!"

I'm sorry but thats entirely innacurate. Apple HAS been environmentally friendly. What they haven't done is tell Greenpeace all about it like they wanted Apple to. Instead of agreeing to Greenpeace's vague promises and getting gold stars for it like some companies, Apple was actually DOING things that were environmentally friendly and have continued to do so.

I'll take results and actions over promises and the stamp of an overzealous often fanatical organization anyday.

Kudo's to Apple for being a responsible corporation, two thumbs up.

tenguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
Odd man out

Seeing the posts prior to this, I guess the other Apple fanboys (like me) are saluting this move. Frankly, as both an Apple owner (3 computers & an iPhone & an iPod) as well as a shareholder (a ton), I feel this is terrible. Corporate BOD's are responsible to the Shareholders & not the Execs. Considering Algore is a Director though this action doesn't surprise me. Just hope this turns out positive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.